Check out our merch shop!

August update

Knight 263 646
  • 30 Aug '17
 Yirtox

@Ulkenstride said:
Marox holds the Key to Mordhau.png

b85a71be2f8671cbe79248edf57b1ae3_1.jpg
Is that the best you could do ? After all those memes ?

Knight 830 1764
  • 30 Aug '17
 Ulkenstride

@Yirtox said:

@Ulkenstride said:
Marox holds the Key to Mordhau.png

b85a71be2f8671cbe79248edf57b1ae3_1.jpg
Is that the best you could do ? After all those memes ?

Alright, alright I'll fix it.

Knight 830 1764
Duke 507 1200

@Carlo_Mano said:

@Ulkenstride said:
Summoning the Alpha

Give the devs your power Mordhau bros [T]/

Count 4205 9821
  • 31 Aug '17
 DerFurst

For real though we shouldn't be upset about this. With video games, there's only one real launch, and that's the first launch you make, regardless of if it's alpha, beta, or release. If they don't get it right the first time, it would leave a terrible first impression that it likely wouldn't be able to recover from for a significant amount of time.

Plus if this is the last delay we get, you'll forget you even had to wait for two years

67 158
  • 31 Aug '17
 Flippy

@YOLANDIVISSER said:

@Lamprey said:
Steam servers are notoriously bad for anything except Counter-strike Global Offensive, and even then those are debatable. It also takes a decent amount of time to integrate SteamWorks API into any game not on the Source engine, remember Chivalry's browser? Horrendous. Also, the problem that is most likely holding up the alpha is not a critical game bug, as revisions through source control should be available to re-stabilize the build and avoid players using hot code. Dedicated server load and multiplayer optimizations are most likely necessary to the release as no one could play without them.

What exactly is horrendous about chivalry's server browser?

I haven't launched Chivalry in nearly two years, so it could be different now, but the server browser used to be barely functional. Ping and player count readings were often way off and it commonly didn't show servers at all. We often had to connect to our servers using the console because the browser would literally just not display them.

Count 164 304
  • 31 Aug '17
 ColonelMustache

Delays can be inevitable, but radio silence is completely avoidable. There is a huge difference between being informed of a delay a couple weeks before the estimated/ideal

@DerFurst said:
For real though we shouldn't be upset about this. With video games, there's only one real launch, and that's the first launch you make, regardless of if it's alpha, beta, or release. If they don't get it right the first time, it would leave a terrible first impression that it likely wouldn't be able to recover from for a significant amount of time.

I was under the impression that playing a buggy mess of shit was literally the point of the alpha.

Also it seems to me that people are less angry about a delay and more angry about the fact that the delay wasn't announced until only a couple days before the original date they were aiming for. True, it wasn't an official release date or anything, but that still doesn't excuse radio silence until the last second. If the delay were announced a couple of weeks ago, that would have been much easier to swallow.

Plus if this is the last delay we get, you'll forget you even had to wait for two years

That's a big "if."

Duke 5558 13284
  • 31 Aug '17
 Jax — Community Manager

it wasn't announced a few weeks ago because they didn't know they weren't able to make it

Baron 582 972
  • 31 Aug '17
 lash

@DerFurst said:

You are right, of course. And I believe that most people do know this and deep down feel the same.

We are just acting retarded becouse MORDHAU WHEN MUCH HYPE ASDFGHJLSDLFKKLHFJG.

Mercenary 83 73

@ŁĐFlamarys said:
One student was enjoying his summer holydays, even though mordhau was coming at the end of them, but he would at least get his hands on it! Instead of a game, he got an update, and realized that he couldn't play before he starts going 80 km every week to study. The student will be come a no-life. The student will mess his exams, and destroy his life. But the student will get mordhau Soon.

That almost made me cry bro

Knight 123 143
  • 31 Aug '17
 Chairman

@wiener_schnitzel said:

@ŁĐFlamarys said:
One student was enjoying his summer holydays, even though mordhau was coming at the end of them, but he would at least get his hands on it! Instead of a game, he got an update, and realized that he couldn't play before he starts going 80 km every week to study. The student will be come a no-life. The student will mess his exams, and destroy his life. But the student will get mordhau Soon.

Oida bist gscheid jetz hob i an hunger

Mercenary 83 73

@Chairman said:

@wiener_schnitzel said:

@ŁĐFlamarys said:

Oida bist gscheid jetz hob i an hunger

Hehe den Akzent hab ich zwar nicht so drauf aber so in etwa bekomm ich das öfter zu hören ;-)

Mercenary 2551 4572
  • 31 Aug '17
 SIEGE

immigrants?

Knight 1836 2232
  • 31 Aug '17
 Void

@ColonelMustache said:
Delays can be inevitable, but radio silence is completely avoidable. There is a huge difference between being informed of a delay a couple weeks before the estimated/ideal

@DerFurst said:

I was under the impression that playing a buggy mess of shit was literally the point of the alpha.

Also it seems to me that people are less angry about a delay and more angry about the fact that the delay wasn't announced until only a couple days before the original date they were aiming for. True, it wasn't an official release date or anything, but that still doesn't excuse radio silence until the last second. If the delay were announced a couple of weeks ago, that would have been much easier to swallow.

That's a big "if."

You can't predict everything. Sometimes things break at the last moment.
I know It's the alpha and things are not supposed to be perfect, but we can agree that we must be able to play the game. Server stability is of utmost importance.

Count 4205 9821
  • 31 Aug '17
 DerFurst

If the servers and steam implementation aren't fully functional to support the massive amount of people (~3000[?] kickstarter alpha backers + ~1000[?] web-shop purchasers), then there wouldn't be any buggy alpha to complain about, or the alpha would be too buggy to complain about what's actually in it.

273 444
  • 31 Aug '17
 YOLANDIVISSER

@Void said:
brake

Not sure if typo but still works anyways...

Knight 1836 2232
  • 31 Aug '17
 Void

@YOLANDIVISSER said:

@Void said:
brake

Not sure if typo but still works anyways...

It was a typo lol

3 7
  • 31 Aug '17
 TheHound

forgot to buy my key i guess the hound will be stuck here eating my chicken and relaxing now.

Knight 60 111
  • 31 Aug '17
 420SmokePyro

@Jax said:
it wasn't announced a few weeks ago because they didn't know they weren't able to make it

I don't think that steam implementation was something really unpredictable, that's a problem that was always present isn't it? They knew they had to do it no matter what so they could have told us something before the end of the month imho. Im not really mad because of the almost 3 weeks delay but because of the devs silence,they built a lot of hype and decided to make memes along the month instead of saying something relevant. I love them anyways, but they shouldn't do such things,I hope they tell us something in these 2 weeks.

Baron 1226 1617
  • 31 Aug '17
 Carlo_Mano

@420SmokePyro said:

@Jax said:

I don't think that steam implementation was something really unpredictable, that's a problem that was always present isn't it?

Yes but when it has to work with 3k players, I can take a little more time than expected to make sure to avoid the diablo ddos syndrome.

Imagine that instead it got released on time but servers kept crashing and being unstable until a fix that comes after 2 weeks, would it be better?