Mordhau

Is there going to be mouse-dragging like in Chivalry?

1 0
  • 19 Dec '15
 HyperDimensionX

Is there going to be mouse-dragging and other stupid exploits like in Chivalry: Medieval warfare which make absolutely zero contextual sense, break animations and increase the skill gap so that players who flail their mouse around like imbeciles? There is nothing wrong with creating a high skill ceiling, but when a technique supercedes every single other skill useless without knowing it (skills like spacing, prediction, mindgames, ect which become completely useless without mastering mouse dragging), looks absolutely stupid, makes zero contextual sense and breaks animations, then it ruins the game.

This is coming from someone who has over 600 hours in chivalry.

If this game contains anything similar to mouse dragging that is an instant no-buy from me.

I wish you guys the best of luck, unless of course, your game contains mouse-dragging. In which case I hope you fail miserably.

850 970
  • 19 Dec '15
 Maci

There is dragging, you could already see it in the video from yesterday.
However, it isn't totally broken like in Chiv.

ZTB3XWb04H996LKeC3HqDJ52_yAmMjbg.jpg

4291 6044
  • 19 Dec '15
 ToLazy4Name

Oh boy.

Yes, there's dragging. It's literally unavoidable when the game has free-form swinging of your weapon. If you dislike drags, go play Mount and Blade.

307 302
  • 19 Dec '15
 BearGrylls

Cya.

523 797
  • 19 Dec '15
 BobSapp

Whenever I see posts like this, they're almost always more disgusted with the emphasis on spinning and reverse hits rather than dragging in C:MW. Plain old delayed drags are intended from the very start of C:MW, they're even in some developer tutorial videos (but not the awful tutorial ingame I believe) from 2012.

Being the amazing gummyworm knight who can spin 360 degree reverse hits into the majestic rainbow drag, however, was likely not intended. This stuff isn't really just dragging, it's an entire pile of issues with C:MW's design put together.

Don't throw in the towel over drags, seriously. Without the rest of C:MW's garbage problems they're not nearly as dysfunctional. Mordhau will do a better job!

615 2772
  • 20 Dec '15
 marox — Project Lead

You can reposition your attack at any time by moving the mouse, in other words, you can drag. However, it doesn't look like the attack slows down, and it really doesn't look the same as a Chivalry drag. It's much subtler. You also can't hit from behind etc, so there are no reverses and such.

8 7
  • 22 Dec '15
 TheFatNinja

My god. You had me at "no reverses". Where do I sign up and how can I be of any help with the development of this amazing game.

19 4
  • 22 Dec '15
 ŦKLadyMaria

OH awesome! No insta Reverse overheads/crap

This begs me to ask, will there be 'long' reverses, where the goal of the 'insta' hit that isn't allowed in Mordhau is to make the opponent panic parry for the 180 spin into the hit?

615 2772
  • 22 Dec '15
 marox — Project Lead

@ŦKLadyMaria said:
OH awesome! No insta Reverse overheads/crap

This begs me to ask, will there be 'long' reverses, where the goal of the 'insta' hit that isn't allowed in Mordhau is to make the opponent panic parry for the 180 spin into the hit?

These are possible. But you have to keep in mind that while the reverse can't hit you when facing the opposite way, they can be parried. So if you were to panic at him facing his back at you, you'd simply parry it and he'd probably eat a riposte from you. There's also no hit trading, so chances are, if you attack while he's facing away from you and trying to hit you with a dragged reverse, you'd hit first and he'd just get flinched.

19 4
  • 22 Dec '15
 ŦKLadyMaria

Excellent! I'm very happy to read that! You guys are probably going to be picking up a lot of the Chivalry Community to start, seeing as we're all looking for something new to try at least, so get ready to answer lots of drag/feint questions :P Once again thanks for the reply @marox

4291 6044
  • 22 Dec '15
 ToLazy4Name

@ŦKLadyMaria said:
Excellent! I'm very happy to read that! You guys are probably going to be picking up a lot of the Chivalry Community to start, seeing as we're all looking for something new to try at least, so get ready to answer lots of drag/feint questions :P Once again thanks for the reply @marox

Most of the devs are ex/currently competitive Chivalry players (Marox, Elwebarro, Spook, Crushed and maybe some others).

19 4
  • 22 Dec '15
 ŦKLadyMaria

Oh wow, even better, I've never had the pleasure of playing with any of them unfortunately, probably because I mostly dwell on DW, but I've been getting back into MW more recently, and reading these posts about drags just brings a smile to my face.

46 9
  • 5 Jan '16
 Lilboots

@marox - You say there is no hit trading. at all ? So can flinch regardless of attack stage ?

2349 2892
  • 5 Jan '16
 TheDankestMeme

everyone know drags are skillfull and others obvious things, but its way too broken (like chiv's parry system lel)
u can kill someone whit a immobile weapon, thats completly fuck the immersion
tired of chiv's lasersword-like weapons who can also pass trough waves of ennemis.

clearly need some speed-based damages (and weight-based speed/damages, dunno if its ez to understand?)

615 2772
  • 5 Jan '16
 marox — Project Lead

@LilbootstheGreat said:
@marox - You say there is no hit trading. at all ? So can flinch regardless of attack stage ?

There's no hit trading in any circumstance (except projectile stuff, that's something that could change).

2349 2892
  • 5 Jan '16
 TheDankestMeme

u mean if you hit a ennemi thats always stop his attack?

46 9
  • 5 Jan '16
 Lilboots

Thats what i would like to know. If you dont have flinch or hit trade, what countermeasures will there be for a dagger or short knife that has the speed over everything ?

Yea some of the drags to the point where the blade stops that does full dmg is abit stupid. But seeing as i recognize some of these guys from chiv (from feinting countries, not the holy land of skill Australia) im assuming they are ahead of us on this one

46 9
  • 5 Jan '16
 Lilboots

how will you combat a small fast weapon vs a large slow dmg dealing weapon ?

4291 6044
  • 5 Jan '16
 ToLazy4Name

I imagine by making the faster weapon not fast enough to simply interrupt combos or counterattacks.

418 586
  • 5 Jan '16
 Monsteri

By having a weapon that is better at everything except speed.

Seriously, speed shouldn't be placed so much emphasis on. Range is a much, much, bigger factor.