Mordhau

Shooting on the right side of the bow

Knight 2 2
  • 29 Jun '16
 Powadude

In medieval times professional archers used the right side of the bow to gain a higher firerate.
You can see that on many old pictures.
This leads me to the question if the bow could get 2 fire modes:

Leftside: High accuracy, low firerate, easier to use
Rightside: Low accuracy, high firerate, difficult to use

What do you think about this idea ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk This video is about the "right" thing and which brought me to the idea...

Thanks

Knight 4114 4389
  • 29 Jun '16
 pizza boy

nah, people will pick it just to spam and will then probably make too many of their shots hit teammates

Baroness 6089 7047
  • 29 Jun '16
 Sammy

Not entirely against the idea - so long as it's not too fucking annoying, I can imagine archers spamming this when people get near.

Knight 7768 14309
  • 29 Jun '16
 ToLazy4Name

No. The Mongolian draw, as the name would imply, was used by the Mongols. Western archery techniques didn't include this, especially since western archers used bows with VERY heavy draw weights. You CANNOT fire a western longbow with any significant draw that fast.

I would like to say however that the Mongolian draw IS a real thing and it IS effective, just not under the circumstances present in Mordhau (from what we've seen, anyway).

Knight 3305 6774
  • 30 Jun '16
 Bodkin

hmm, too bad I did not see this thread before Lazy. This is my specialty after all.

Anyway some points he didnt touch.

Make sure you dont take everything Lars Anderson says without any salt to it.

The man is a phenomenal trick shot, but you must remember that is what he is. A trick shot, not a medieval bowman.

About the old pictures, it must also be noted that just like how artists today make unrealistic depictions of war and how it was fought, often the paintings being meant to be more artistic that accurate; It is the same with old medieval artists. I promise you that those pictures are 95% likely to be misdrawn. I can also find medieval pictures of swords cutting right through helmets like butter, doesnt mean that was possible. You also see many pictures of 2 armies having their bowman opposing eachother from 5 feet away shooting into the line. This is also obviously very bad tactics and I have no idea why they would be drawn this way other than to have the whole army on the picture. From what I understand the bowman would sit in the front shooting and then fall back behind the line, or draw arms to fight when it came time for closeup fighting after their final volley.

And tbh, the mongolian draw does not give you any better of a fire rate. To get the same effect of being quick about things shooting off the left side of the bow, you simply just thread the arrow between the string and the bow itself to load, no need to go all the way around. This might be hard to visualize, but I could not find a video of someone doing it. Most people do that really slow way of loading where they hold the bow at their waist sideways and load the arrow grasping it up the shaft.

Far more effective in my experience to grasp the nock of the arrow, put the point through between the string and the bow, push forward, and then back to nock. Plenty quick.

Only thing Im hoping for is that they decide to go with hip quivers or arrows in the belt. Back quivers did exist, but it was far more common to see archers with their arrows at the waist or belt. Speaking from personal experience, its a lot easier to use and more comfortable than a back quiver. Slasher had these really bad looking back quivers with arrows too short for a man to even grab.

Knight 3305 6774
  • 30 Jun '16
 Bodkin

However, it is quite funny.

I believe the game will have at least some asian influence from the crusades and such because of the Recurve bow as shown off here

See in the crusades, the muslims used a very similar bow design to the mongols, that being a heavily reflexed recurve composite bow.

Like this

mongolian_bow.9761_1

Notice that these two bows are pretty similar in design. So honestly the recurve bow in mordhau is of asian descent from what I can decipher.

What I am trying to say is, the mongolian draw for this type of bow specifically would not be bad actually, on the contrary quite accurate even though you could use either.

24 13
  • 30 Jun '16
 Blood Dragon

Right-side use wasn't always just to shoot quicker, it could be a preference. I don't know, i think they shouldn't put that in as someone said, try shooting fast with a longbow... I think they should do it this way and this way is simpler and easier...

Just turn the bows that do lesser damage such as velocity and the draw weight quicker to draw while the heavier bows that would do more damage take heavier to draw? (and also please don't forget that it would also be more inaccurate, most games nowadays just make the heavier bows draw slower but the accuracy is the exact same, yes if you can draw a longbow and you have done it all your life, you can almost certainly be great in hitting people with it but please keep in mind, if that archer used a composite bow, it would be way easier to aim with that in my opinion, no matter how many times he used the longbow, a composite bow is easier to draw and thus less stress is required and that is why it would give you a longer time to aim and than release, while a Longbow you can't just draw it that long, after awhile it will hurt you and you will have to put it back in place and hold the arrow steady.. that is why nobody went to battle while holding a bow stringed, it would fuck you up)

Knight 3305 6774
  • 30 Jun '16
 Bodkin

@Spree237 said:
Right-side use wasn't always just to shoot quicker, it could be a preference. I don't know, i think they shouldn't put that in as someone said, try shooting fast with a longbow... I think they should do it this way and this way is simpler and easier...

Just turn the bows that do lesser damage such as velocity and the draw weight quicker to draw while the heavier bows that would do more damage take heavier to draw? (and also please don't forget that it would also be more inaccurate, most games nowadays just make the heavier bows draw slower but the accuracy is the exact same, yes if you can draw a longbow and you have done it all your life, you can almost certainly be great in hitting people with it but please keep in mind, if that archer used a composite bow, it would be way easier to aim with that in my opinion, no matter how many times he used the longbow, a composite bow is easier to draw and thus less stress is required and that is why it would give you a longer time to aim and than release, while a Longbow you can't just draw it that long, after awhile it will hurt you and you will have to put it back in place and hold the arrow steady.. that is why nobody went to battle while holding a bow stringed, it would fuck you up)

Historically archers didnt aim the way we think of the word now.

They aimed with the eye, not the arm (and shot with the heart...).

The way they trained to shoot was through the use of instinctive shooting, similar to throwing a ball.

You "aim" before ever drawing the bow by simply looking at your target, then draw and shoot without holding. Enough practice and your hand eye coordination and natural instinct makes this very accurate just like throwing a ball.

For reference,

24 13
  • 30 Jun '16
 Blood Dragon

@TheEmeraldArcher said:

@Spree237 said:

Historically archers didnt aim the way we think of the word now.

They aimed with the eye, not the arm (and shot with the heart...).

The way they trained to shoot was through the use of instinctive shooting, similar to throwing a ball.

You "aim" before ever drawing the bow by simply looking at your target, then draw and shoot without holding. Enough practice and your hand eye coordination and natural instinct makes this very accurate just like throwing a ball.

For reference,

Ah Thank you, i know this but i was talking in terms of a game, sorry to mix real life into the game, i should have quoted that this isn't true in real life, how stupid of me.

26 14
  • 30 Jun '16
 THRCN

All the shit he does is only possible with a very low draw weighted bow and he still doesn't pull it all the way back. The poundage of the bow he uses probably couldn't pierce moose hide with a kill shot, it's not gonna pierce plate or boiled leather armour.