Mordhau

Development Dump

Duke 5482 13083
  • 15 May '18
 Jax — Community Manager

no thread lock, he's taking a nap

as for chambers though:

chambers can be a soft/hard counter to feints, either by punishing them or discouraging spam feints. this is good, but it's not something that's desirable to have a 100% success rate with. we all get that, but what that means in terms of gameplay is that it's pretty easy in some situations to drag past them. There's a lot of counterplay in that; good chamberers can shut down feints and bad drags and limit their offensive options, good draggers can destroy chamber-bots, and so due to their inherent risk you can definitely put yourself at a disadvantage and become very predictable by trying to chamber everything - not only because you're susceptible to feints, but also because you're giving your opponents easy reads, as you're cutting out a lot of options by chambering everything.

This is good, and that won't change. Chambers are a high-skill mechanic that has some good rewards and a good amount of inherent risk. If they were too easy, feints would be useless, drags would be ineffective, and parries would be pointless since you'd be able to chamber everything anyways.

That being said, we want the person chambering an incoming attack to be fighting their opponent; reading their drags, using footwork, etc. We don't want the person to be fighting the game itself. The new ping compensation helps a lot imo, and we're working on experimental changes to attacks that help to prevent instahits. This should help in regards to chambering, since someone trying to accel will have to really turn into attacks to do so, leaving the defender with much less of a 50-50/reaction test situation. Should be pretty good.

Mercenary 2187 3902
  • 15 May '18
 EruTheTeapot

Jax-ssasination.png

@Jax said:
he's taking a nap

Knight 1269 3804
  • 15 May '18
 Frise

why is david bowie doing that

Conscript 4546 6279
  • 15 May '18
 vanguard

@Jax said:
no thread lock, he's taking a nap

as for chambers though:

chambers can be a soft/hard counter to feints, either by punishing them or discouraging spam feints. this is good, but it's not something that's desirable to have a 100% success rate with. we all get that, but what that means in terms of gameplay is that it's pretty easy in some situations to drag past them. There's a lot of counterplay in that; good chamberers can shut down feints and bad drags and limit their offensive options, good draggers can destroy chamber-bots, and so due to their inherent risk you can definitely put yourself at a disadvantage and become very predictable by trying to chamber everything - not only because you're susceptible to feints, but also because you're giving your opponents easy reads, as you're cutting out a lot of options by chambering everything.

This is good, and that won't change. Chambers are a high-skill mechanic that has some good rewards and a good amount of inherent risk. If they were too easy, feints would be useless, drags would be ineffective, and parries would be pointless since you'd be able to chamber everything anyways.

That being said, we want the person chambering an incoming attack to be fighting their opponent; reading their drags, using footwork, etc. We don't want the person to be fighting the game itself. The new ping compensation helps a lot imo, and we're working on experimental changes to attacks that help to prevent instahits. This should help in regards to chambering, since someone trying to accel will have to really turn into attacks to do so, leaving the defender with much less of a 50-50/reaction test situation. Should be pretty good.

Thanks for the complex answer jaxons, I can now understand better what is the idea behind it and I do agree tbh.

I'm really happy to hear about the insta hits thing man, I'm relieved to read that you guys do consider them.

Don't you think that the reward for chambering could be better in a 1vN situation though? Like, since we already got riposte trade, we could have chamber trade as well, and it could make you tank more damage then a Parry trade. Just throwing the idea tbh I haven't thought much about it's implications, but the point is, couldn't chambers be used to help the 1 in a 1vN situation? It's a hard manuever that has kinda lackluster reward in this situation imho.

Duke 5482 13083
  • 15 May '18
 Jax — Community Manager

nah cuz chamber trades would make offense mindless pretty much, there'd be no reason to ever parry if you could do the same thing as a riposte trade but for no stamina cost but also quicker with no knockback and harder to react to + being able to feint and morph it. it would be realllly powerful and promote people to just chamber and try to switch into people, so you'd just have everyone sprinting around switching

I THINK we might try giving chambers extended lunge/more lunge directions (back or sides maybe) OR try screwing around with the clashing mechanic and seeing what we can come up with, but idk . It's kinda tough because we want a more elegant solution than AP and we want something other than trading, for the reasons stated above but also because we want chamber to feel different and fulfill a unique purpose in team fights.

Conscript 4546 6279
  • 15 May '18
 vanguard

Hey the lunge idea could be really good, as it could be used both offensively AND deffensively at the same time. You could attack and create some space between you and your opponents simultaniously.

I absolutely support messing with the clash mechanic tbh, who knows what might come up from it. Its a real, REAL fun mechanic (I imagine noobs will get a hard on when they have their first clash fight), and its not all that present. I can't think on any way it could help in 1vX though, but I haven't put any thought into the idea yet.

Duke 5482 13083
  • 15 May '18
 Jax — Community Manager

yeah that's like some real experimental idea

Conscript 4546 6279
  • 15 May '18
 vanguard

Take your time devmens, experiment with everything!

Knight 1269 3804
  • 15 May '18
 Frise

Except with humans. That's like, illegal.

Knight 528 3376
  • 21 May '18
 rob_owner

oh and dont forget using a clip from 1st person of a weird looking thing may be the best we have at the moment though it lacks a lot of substance, i'm not sure if i'd conclude very much from it because the 1st person anims and body position and camera and all that are not indicative of the actual situation so until that improves or until we have the ability to download the demo and look at exactly what happens from outside pov i wouldnt hatch all my eggs in one basket

271 939
  • 8 Jun '18
 Jackass

can we get a dump now pls?

Knight 667 995

how about a dump of shit you name stealing fag

Duchess 6861 9829
  • 8 Jun '18
 Sir Zombie

Fuck you jackass

Duke 5482 13083
  • 13 Jun '18
 Jax — Community Manager

here u go

Knight 3135 7293
  • 13 Jun '18
 Punzybobo

The forums went down for your shitpost. I hope you know that.

Mercenary 116 446
Knight 528 3376
  • 13 Jun '18
 rob_owner

@Jax said:
here u go

teasing manure throwing, jax? Stains armor and clothes? Blinds a target on faceshot? maybe makes them puke and you can cut their head off and watch their neck wound spray vomit all over the place like in postal 2 ? The alt grip is you eat it so you yourself can spray puke on other people and the floor to make people slip ?

edit Brand new edit idea thanks to shuugs, feeding horse maybe even as you ride so you can time a gnarly poop attack or poop as you gallop to try and evade would-be pursuers, a lot like james bond's car shooting oil to make other cars behind him trip or something, Genius i think

edit
i can already see epic horse chases where the rider being chased hears his horse pooping and leans back to grab some chunks and throws some at the bad guy behind him, but also takes a few bites out of it to make himself puke so he can cause an oil slick scenario

Mercenary 2187 3902
  • 14 Jul '18
 EruTheTeapot

Oi !

You Dev fuckos, post your screenshot stuff here too... Dont maek mi creat anothr rant thred abot it !!!'12!11!

Duke 5482 13083
  • 17 Jul '18
 Jax — Community Manager

5551dceda6cdaa23e0f2eb306afeca8c

Mercenary 2548 4563
  • 17 Jul '18
 SIEGE

Bows?