Mordhau

Endless War (Faction Wars) Mode

Mercenary 112 315
  • 1 May '17
 Racemate

Hi all,

Let me introduce idea of a mode that would combine Faction Wars with some other features. It’s supposed to be Team Object, Team Deathmatch oriented, and alike.

Initially there would be only two opposite factions to join, but there would be only few limitations on how many Factions could be in the game.

As already known the game will support up to 64 players. So, if 2 factions take part in a battle, that would be up to 32 players on each side; if 3 factions – 20_21 players in each faction, and so on. But there is a little to no chance that more than that would take a part in a single battle.

Rules that determine, which Faction is eligible to join the FW (has 100+ players, its own emblem, a color scheme, or whatever that devs approve) have to be discussed by itself.

All available game’s maps will be represented as objects, sectors, areas, territories and so on, on a Global Map. It might be as a Mod's Main Menu.

This is a quick rough map that was made just as an example to illustrate the idea. The final GM could look as an ancient map, topographical, fantasy or a mix, made in 2D, isometric or 3D. It's just matter of choice. I didn't name sectors and objects deliberately, as it's not necessary for the moment.:

GM-01.png

GM would contain all valuable info on game in real time as well as links to maps, servers that are available to play at the moment.

These objects, sectors, territory might be under control one or another Faction, thus they should be protected, since they might be attacked by other Factions.

A Faction can attack only adjacent sectors according to the GM. If there are seas or lakes on the GM, and a Faction plans to attack sectors on opposite shore and there's no another way to reach them, the Faction must have under its control a dockyard, where ships can be built to deliver troops to those sectors (it could be even animated, like in Belmez map in CMW from Agatha point of view, for instance). In other words a Fraction that controls a dockyard can attack any ashore sectors:

GM-04.png

If there are other terrain obstacles like rivers, or mountains there might be a path through them, like a bridges, tunnels, mountain trails and so on, which could be represented as separate objects (game maps).

Since any single sector, object or territory can be controlled by the only one faction, the GM design itself (sectors localization, particular qualities of a terrain) will determine how many Factions can meet in a single battle.

All objects, sectors, territory would be different in terms of fortification: from lightly to heavily fortified. It might be shown in a score. The more heavily fortified object is the higher score it has.

This score or certain amount of points should be reached by a Faction in the battle in order to capture or to defend the object. It shouldn’t be a result of a single battle, but rather as an output of several battles on all servers that run the mod.

Some objects, heavily fortified, could have several levels (for instance, barbican, curtain walls, bailey, armory, keep and so on – maps or objects), which had to be captured or defended separately, and each level would have its own score. All levels also have to be reachable one by one successively.

Rule of attack. A Faction that won the battle (captured or defended an object) has a right to attack adjacent sectors or levels. If there is the only one adjacent sector that is to be attacked, it could be linked to previous battle to skip returning in the mod main menu for smooth gameplay.

If the attack isn't continued, the Faction loses this privilege in the sector, and the right to attack comes to its opponent.

If an opposite Faction doesn't use the chance, the both Factions turn to an idle stage, and next fight in this sector will be an open field battle to determine an attacker for the next round.

The same rule should be applied to opposite Factions that both have right to attack, and they are located in adjacent sectors, they might meet in an open field battle to confirm its right (it might be a Team Deathmatch, for instance):

GM-06.png

All maps should be playable in both directions (attackers can turn into defenders, and vice versa).

If a faction is wiped off the GM, it may return by capturing any lightly fortified object first, and then continue its fight under the common rules. The same could be applied to new factions that want to join the faction war.

If a faction that is already in the FW (has object/-s under its control) has not been participating in any battle (nobody plays for the faction) for considerable amount of time (1-2 days, have not come up yet with anything useful) has to be removed from the GM.

I’m neither a game dev, nor a mode maker, and has a little experience in online games, so all of this or a part of it might look stupid. If so, my apologies in advance.

I would appreciate your constructive comments, criticism, suggestions, opinions, thoughts.
Thanks for reading.

Baroness 6089 7045
  • 1 May '17
 Sammy

I then a lot of us here like this idea but, I think that it may be a bit too large, especially if you're required to have full lobbies and stuff.

I'll be honest I didn't read it all, I read like half, Galactic Conquest from BF2 pops into the head.

I like the idea but I don't think it'll be in the main game, as a mod, maybe, but it's also worth nothing there may not be enough maps.

Duchess 6885 9858
  • 1 May '17
 Sir Zombie

me hit bad person

Knight 7759 14277
  • 1 May '17
 ToLazy4Name

yes yes actually good idea but far too complicated to be done any time soon if ever at all

Knight 872 1350

@ToLazy4Name said:
yes yes actually good idea but far too complicated to be done any time soon if ever at all

DLC??????!

214 412
  • 1 May '17
 Astonop

Now this reminds me of Planetside 2 more than anything else. Large map with multiple instances that are all under constant siege for domination of certain sections, maybe. Could also be crossed with the Mount and Blade single player mode and, as said above, the Battlefront 2 Galactic Conquest.

Problem, as already stated, is the amount of work. Do bare in mind that recently, an attempt was made to recreate the Red Dead Redemption map into the GTAV engine. Given that was a pre-existing map on a pretty well established modding platform, and that still took 3 YEARS and was recently cancelled in an INCOMPLETE state, I'd imagine even making maps for instances like this that are massive and active would be either out of the question or would require a large workforce.

Plausible and enjoyable idea, probably not an achievable concept though.

Mercenary 2190 3903
  • 1 May '17
 EruTheTeapot

@King Peasant the Ruthless said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

DLC??????!

Separating the population of the game is a bad idea imho even as a DLC.
That idea is for laaarge player games like MMOs, Mordhau is a smaller scale atm from my observation.

Knight 242 1078
  • 1 May '17
 Corsario

I like the idea. As said above, it's hard for a small group of devs to create such a large mode with such an amount of specific maps to be done. Nevertheless, looking at your global map I think this kind of work could be done progressively.

The world map could start with a small number of maps available to be played (in the central area for example) and then slowly unveil itself as more maps are introduced either by the devs or from the community and approved by the devs. I would certainly contribute with several custom maps of the kind.

Knight 135 150
  • 1 May '17
 SirLancelot

I think we all love the idea and its great to make posts like this while we wait for the game. But, don't count on anything being put in the game unless the developers have confirmed it. Personally I think a faction kind of deal is not a bad idea.

Duke 507 1198

I'm all for it as its a really good idea, but I'm afraid the Mordhau devs may not be as ambitious as you here. We'll just have to see what happens, possibly get a dev in here for some feedback.

214 412
  • 2 May '17
 Astonop

@SirLancelot said:
I think we all love the idea and its great to make posts like this while we wait for the game. But, don't count on anything being put in the game unless the developers have confirmed it. Personally I think a faction kind of deal is not a bad idea.

Oh no doubt it's a good idea to brainstorm this early on in development - there aren't many better ways to get good ideas nowadays without throwing ideas at a wall and seeing what sticks. I do enjoy the stimulation the forum gets with fresh ideas and the discussion around them (when it's appropriate at least).

@Senturion, Duke of Ontheon said:
I'm all for it as its a really good idea, but I'm afraid the Mordhau devs may not be as ambitious as you here. We'll just have to see what happens, possibly get a dev in here for some feedback.

While I agree with the sentiment, I don't believe the word 'ambitious' would be appropriate there. So far, with the Kickstarter, the developers have surpassed what we expected to be in the game and planned obviously a lot more. I don't think they are lacking in ambition, rather just attempting to play it safe upon initial release to establish a solid player base before aspiring to new ideas.

Duke 27 47
  • 2 May '17
 Kain

Great idea, I like the planetside-ish feel of it. Maybe this could factor into a part of mordhau lore as well, multiple powers fighting over control of the land and its resources by hiring mercenary groups to carry out their battles. As far as I know it's just two merc groups fighting for no reason atm

Mercenary 112 315
  • 2 May '17
 Racemate

@Sammy said: ... it's also worth nothing there may not be enough maps.

As Corsario wrote in his post, and I absolutely agree with him, the mode can start with several maps, the rest of the GM would be hidden. Then new territories will be revealed as new maps are to be added.

@ToLazy4Name said:

It could be implemented step by step, start with a simple GM where just several playable maps are available.

@King Peasant the Ruthless said:
DLC??????!

Time will tell

Mercenary 112 315
  • 2 May '17
 Racemate

@Astonop: There isn't a pre-existing map, it would be extended according to added new maps. This allows a huge variety and flexibility.

@EruTheTeapot said:
Separating the population of the game is a bad idea imho even as a DLC.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this, so let me reply like this: there would be no separation, every player can chose what faction he/she wants to play for, since we are all mercenaries.

That idea is for laaarge player games like MMOs, Mordhau is a smaller scale atm from my observation.

No matter how large players base is, they will play on available maps. This mode is just a different way to play the same maps.

Mercenary 112 315
  • 2 May '17
 Racemate

@Corsario said:
I like the idea. As said above, it's hard for a small group of devs to create such a large mode with such an amount of specific maps to be done. Nevertheless, looking at your global map I think this kind of work could be done progressively.

The world map could start with a small number of maps available to be played (in the central area for example) and then slowly unveil itself as more maps are introduced either by the devs or from the community and approved by the devs. I would certainly contribute with several custom maps of the kind.

Thanks Corsario for your reply!
You got essence of the idea, that I had not mentioned in my main post, but it was definitely implied. It could start with several maps and then be extended as new maps arrive.

For instance, it could look like this in the beginning (it completely depends on what maps would be included):
GM - 001.png

Mercenary 112 315
  • 2 May '17
 Racemate

@SirLancelot: Thanks for your support!

@Senturion, Duke of Ontheon: Thank you! As I said earlier it could be a quite simple map on the start.

@Astonop : Thank you! I'm totally agree with you at this point.

Mercenary 112 315
  • 2 May '17
 Racemate

@Kain said:
Great idea, I like the planetside-ish feel of it. Maybe this could factor into a part of mordhau lore as well, multiple powers fighting over control of the land and its resources by hiring mercenary groups to carry out their battles. As far as I know it's just two merc groups fighting for no reason atm

Exactly! This mode allows to bring a backstory in, and, moreover, to develop it along with an increase of the GM.

214 412
  • 2 May '17
 Astonop

I believe what was meant by the DLC remark was that if you represent a player base with many choices of what to do, there will be lots of servers running different maps and modes and not enough players to populate all these servers. Sure, if Mordhau takes off as we all hope, that won't be a problem anyway!

As for the map idea, I hadn't considered myself starting with the maps that currently exist and then expanding. Maybe the community could help here too; make competitions for player-created maps and whoever wins the vote for best map gets their map added to the larger scale map and as a reward gets an in game cosmetic or in game currency? I enjoy the idea of including the community in making future updates and rewarding their work with in game items.

Keep brainstorming though, I'm sure only greater things can come from this idea.

Mercenary 112 315
  • 3 May '17
 Racemate

@Astonop said:
I believe what was meant by the DLC remark was that if you represent a player base with many choices of what to do, there will be lots of servers running different maps and modes and not enough players to populate all these servers. Sure, if Mordhau takes off as we all hope, that won't be a problem anyway!

It might be a problem for any game where a mode making is available.

Regarding particularly this mode, if, say, there are many maps and is plenty of choice of which map to play and not enough players to run all of them, it would add some realism to the mode.

Like there is a huge territory and a quite limited army, it has to choose what sectors and objects are in higher priority to attack or defend. Also, this problem might be partially solved by using bots to complete parties.

@Astonop said:
As for the map idea, I hadn't considered myself starting with the maps that currently exist and then expanding. Maybe the community could help here too; make competitions for player-created maps and whoever wins the vote for best map gets their map added to the larger scale map and as a reward gets an in game cosmetic or in game currency? I enjoy the idea of including the community in making future updates and rewarding their work with in game items.

Everything that can help to enrich the gameplay should be on the table.

@Astonop said:
Keep brainstorming though, I'm sure only greater things can come from this idea.

Thanks!

Knight 5187 6950
  • 3 May '17
 Humble Staff

Medieval Planetside with Mordhau playability? Count me in.
Maybe persistent world mods will acomplish this concept in some way, time will tell, this could be fucking sick.