1454 4054
  • 26 Apr '17
 TombstoneJack

skal schol...gladra...something something and metatron now all we need is shad

Knight 7768 14309
  • 26 Apr '17
 ToLazy4Name

stopped watching almost immediately

I get this guy's schtick but I have no interest in seeing someone rail on about realism

Baroness 6089 7047
  • 26 Apr '17
 Sammy

@ToLazy4Name said:
stopped watching almost immediately

I get this guy's schtick but I have no interest in seeing someone rail on about realism

same

Count 4205 9820
  • 26 Apr '17
 DerFurst

It's necessary to have at least ONE guy to needlessly overanalyze "realism" to keep people grounded in reality, just like every facility needs at least one janitor to do the dirty job of keeping things clean.

Schola Gladitoria just happened to be the janitor in this situation. It's not a bad thing, just not glamorous or entertaining.

Knight 5264 7084
  • 26 Apr '17
 Humble Staff

Yea this is why i thought and said during the kickstarter campaign that Matt was not the best youtuber to spam with the game and i also thought he was the less likely to do a video, in fact i thought he wasn't going to.
Watched both and while both are good for spreading the word, Matt should change the video title to something like "Mordhau trailer review from realistic point of view" or something like that.
I liked way more Metatron's input (as cringe worthy as always, love him for that) which is coming from a more gamey background with a better understanding of the relation between realism and gameplay (or at least he states it and Matt doesn't).

Edit: yea what Fust said about Matt.

Baron 26 10
  • 27 Apr '17
 DarkLandsknecht

Well, really overanalysing things up, being over critic with it. It's still a fantastic game, but actually pointing out the difference between the armours, being from different age, is pretty much over critizising the game. Plus, the thing he points out about the blocks and guards, it's pretty weird, cause that's nbot the way you should parry or even block the hit.

1627 2898
  • 27 Apr '17
 Ranten

Stopped watching at 2:00. Just another 40 year old grandpa (probably with no job) who brags about realism in a game that doesn't even try to be realistic. He clearly has no understanding of games but does the video anyway to get some views. Skal did a MUCH better job at this, enough said.

I also completely disagree with Furst, we don't need a guy who basically shits on the game and nitpicks it in the cringiest way possible to somehow "keeps us grounded in reality" (For what reason?).

Knight 3305 6774
  • 27 Apr '17
 Bodkin

Well Matt is a historian and probably gets nit picky about the way things look because that is his expertise, just like how I get nit picky at how the archery animations look.

It is what it is really, I hate that he put down the game so much but I guess I'd get annoyed at things like that too if my knowledge base was specialized in that area.

That being said the game is fine the way it is, the things he was nit picking are what make the game balanced. The only thing I'd at least consider is hitting multiple people with one swing. Im all for it, but it is definitely odd and always will be. Not much you can do to stop that. Everything else, like making different armor sets have unique stats and such, is rubbish for balance.

Baroness 485 1385
  • 27 Apr '17
 arr0wmanc3r

Maybe quit whining about someone with a different mindset than yours and realize that Matt said he thinks the game looks like a lot of fun and that the combat seems very interesting. All of his points are totally valid, he's not being nitpicky for the sake of nitpickyness, he's just contrasting what we see in the trailer with real life history, which happens to be what his channel is all about. I agree that he isn't the best youtuber to spread hype for the game, but holy shit people, he's not doing it for the hype, he's doing it to give his expertise about history. Also, I think the suggestion to have the player lurch back just a bit when their lance connects is a great one for adding a bit of immersion.

Baron 2357 3390
  • 27 Apr '17
 Xekratos

Can't we all just agree that Metatron's opening was the absolute best?

Baroness 485 1385
  • 27 Apr '17
 arr0wmanc3r

@Xekratos said:
Can't we all just agree that Metatron's opening was the absolute most cringy shit ever just like his entire channel?

Fixed

Duke 5526 13171
  • 27 Apr '17
 Jax — Community Manager

he wasn't putting the game down as much as picking apart the unrealistic things in it. pretty much every time he criticized the game, he said along the lines of "but whatever, it's a game and it DOES look fun"

also I put a big ol' comment on there informing matt/the channel of the game's unrealistic stuff
and upvotes for visibility would be nice
#ShamelessSelfPromotionForTheSakeOfMordhau

Matt Easton is a monster of a fencer and a very professional historian, I pretty much take his word as gospel. The dude's dope tbh

Count 4205 9820
  • 27 Apr '17
 DerFurst

It's good that Matt makes critical videos of Mordhau. If there weren't some people in the world concerned about historical accuracy, history would read like an anime where all the details are exaggerated or misplaced. History would generationally degrade until becoming completely unrecognizable, like the scene from Idiocracy retelling WW2 but with Charlie Chaplin being attacked by gun wielding dinosaurs from the UN.

It's good that anal historians like Matt exist, otherwise Mordhau would lose the degree of realism that keeps it brutal, which is ultimately part of what makes it fun. The stabilization of fantasy and real history makes Mordhau more enjoyable than being focused on one aspect alone.

Duke 5526 13171
  • 27 Apr '17
 Jax — Community Manager

I totally agree with you DerFurst, 100%

Hey also we need to go on a 'nice' comment crusade for this video, youtube knights assemble
just don't insult anyone please

Knight 5264 7084
  • 27 Apr '17
 Humble Staff

@Ranten said:
Stopped watching at 2:00. Just another 40 year old grandpa (probably with no job) who brags about realism in a game that doesn't even try to be realistic. He clearly has no understanding of games but does the video anyway to get some views. Skal did a MUCH better job at this, enough said.

I also completely disagree with Furst, we don't need a guy who basically shits on the game and nitpicks it in the cringiest way possible to somehow "keeps us grounded in reality" (For what reason?).

k

60 71
  • 27 Apr '17
 negocromn

Matt is the man

Baron 107 179
  • 27 Apr '17
 Ðïαbδlμş

I get where he's coming from but he has to understand this is a video game not a history book.