Mordhau

Development Blog #2: Melee Combat

582 2209
  • 29 Mar '16
 marox — Project Lead

It's been a while since our last development blog! This time around, we're introducing some of the combat mechanics behind Mordhau. It's a game where we pull no punches in terms of skill ceiling, so there's a lot to talk about! Check it out below.

We'll be posting it around some more sites ourselves, but if you'd like to help us out, feel free to share the video anywhere and everywhere that you think people might be interested in it! We're also taking this opportunity to release some new screenshots along with the video. Let us know what you think :)

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

242 477
  • 29 Mar '16
 Hiemal

it's so beautiful :')

99 297
  • 29 Mar '16
 Neo — Webmaster

Amazing

3885 4913
  • 29 Mar '16
 ToLazy4Name

Excellent video. I especially like how you address the criticism from people saying that things aren't realistic and explain very clearly that you're NOT going for a realistic depiction of medieval combat, you're going for a great video game.

226 306
  • 29 Mar '16
 Lincs

:'D

612 449
  • 29 Mar '16
 afiNity

Wow, if you master this game you will feel like a god. Parry? Not necessary 8)
I really hope that you will still be able to get a big audience even without catering to noobs

1 2
  • 29 Mar '16
 wren

yesss m8

1455 1724
  • 29 Mar '16
 TheEmeraldArcher

Mute the volume to the devblog video,

Open this in another tab and play it whilst watching this

https://youtu.be/_CTYymbbEL4?t=1m26s

enjoy

1455 1724
  • 29 Mar '16
 TheEmeraldArcher

So I see those Dane - Axe type weapons

Is that what they will be named?

So we have Poleaxe, Axe (1 handed), and Dane Axe?

139 129
  • 29 Mar '16
 JoBe

The half-swording, murderstroke and other mechanics looked great. Also got some nice axes there. Is there any alpha or beta going on right now and how to join them?

24 19
  • 29 Mar '16
 Edmund

Wow, if you master this game you will feel like a god. Parry? Not necessary 8)

It will take a god to master this game, there is so much options you have to deal with, pretty impressive.

4 8
  • 29 Mar '16
 Retro

This is looking awesome, keep it up guys!

113 757
  • 29 Mar '16
 elwebbaro — Art

@TheEmeraldArcher said:
So I see those Dane - Axe type weapons

Is that what they will be named?

So we have Poleaxe, Axe (1 handed), and Dane Axe?

It's a battle axe, wielded in two hands.shots.jpg

We haven't shown any one handed axes yet. You might've caught a couple of stabs from the right, which are performed one handed as an easier tell for the animation.

1 2
  • 29 Mar '16
 astro11

the game is looking pretty good, hopefully you'll make it available to run on low-end machines.
also it looks pretty realistic for me - people complaining about it must be paranoid about medieval realism and are forgetting this is supposed to be a video-game. keep up the good work!

oh, and i can see you're adding a lot of mechanics which can make the game go very complex - you should be aware though to not forget the newbies and unexperienced players (which will be the majority to be honest) and make them have a good time without getting destroyed by a handful of good players (maybe by separating servers using the level system as in CMW).

45 54
  • 29 Mar '16
 Gauntlet

Excellent combat video, particularly like that you guys addressed some of the criticisms for this style of game. The partial severing instead of full limb removal looks absolutely glorious, and helps give Mordhau a distinct flavor from Chivalry in terms of gore. You guys have done an amazing job. Keep it up.

1738 639

"Interaction is at the absolute core of Mordhau, everything flows into everything, every action can be combined, cancelled and turned into another. The possibilities to create your own plays are limitless."

I love it.

1455 1724
  • 29 Mar '16
 TheEmeraldArcher

@ToLazy4Name said:
Excellent video. I especially like how you address the criticism from people saying that things aren't realistic and explain very clearly that you're NOT going for a realistic depiction of medieval combat, you're going for a great video game.

I think that the people who complain about the armor thing just want to be nearly untouchable

90 116
  • 29 Mar '16
 das

@astro11 said:
the game is looking pretty good, hopefully you'll make it available to run on low-end machines.
also it looks pretty realistic for me - people complaining about it must be paranoid about medieval realism and are forgetting this is supposed to be a video-game. keep up the good work!

oh, and i can see you're adding a lot of mechanics which can make the game go very complex - you should be aware though to not forget the newbies and unexperienced players (which will be the majority to be honest) and make them have a good time without getting destroyed by a handful of good players (maybe by separating servers using the level system as in CMW).

The pub matchmaking system seems like a good way to separate the weaker players from the better ones without having to compromise complexity of the game mechanics.

Don't want to find it now, but basically the devs are planning on a server search function that automatically places you in an official server full of players near your skill level that is only accessible through this "matchmaking" function and not through the server browser (so highly skilled players can't just join and rain on your parade).

137 122
  • 29 Mar '16
 Waterboy

I posted this to /r/PCGaming, let's see if it gains any traction

pls upvote for visibility.

56 45
  • 29 Mar '16
 VCliff

Rocksolid take on for some of the game basic mechanics you have been shown so far,also good that you pointed out some things that have been critisized in Chivalry and the first Devblog.

Love the poleaxe design aswell as the one handed hammer.The "Duelyard" Map and the Highland Map have also amazing backgrounds.