Montage.jpg
GUN VULT :D !

Shame.

Baroness 6089 7041
Duke 5473 13074
  • 23 Apr '17
 Jax — Community Manager

I've had a change of heart

I thought these two weapons would be too tough to implement while making them fun, but I've been rolling some ideas around in my head. I think these could work with a proper implementation.

Flail:

the infamous flail

04.3.48_001Sept2014

Instead of reinventing the entire combat system for them, I think simple approach would be the best approach. This means that they'd possess the same properties as every other standard weapon.

Cost: 3 (Equal to bastard sword)
Use: One-handed blunt 'primary'
Strike Damage: Blunt, good for one-handers
Thrust Damage: Blunt, fucking abysmal
Reach: Long for 1h's on strikes, roughly shortsword on thrusts
Strike Speed: slow, sluggish windup with decent speed release
Thrust speed: moderate, roughly warhammer thrust speed

Alt: Thrown, not ideal but relatively heavy hitting. easy to predict
Damage: okay
Speed: slow windup for throw

SO if ya look at the picture I linked, it's got what looks to be a ~ 28in shaft, and a ~16in chain/ball. This is the overall length and ratio that all skins would have - and there's an important reason for this, which I'll go over in the behavior section below.

Behavior of the Flail

Strikes would function pretty much like a normal strike - with a few things to note.

• No actual physics on the ball during strikes - it's just not a good idea for consistent gameplay. If the flail gets parried, then yes it could work fine, and also in an idle stance, but during release would make clashes and chambers near-impossible to pull off against a flail reliably.

• The windup:release speed's ratio would be noticeably different from most other weapons - it would be easier to see an attack start, but the flail user can still morph and feint particularly well. The main reason for this is to allow time for animating the movement of the flail around without it looking retarded.

• The hit tracers would have a non-uniform curve. The weapon will still have a consistent speed throughout its swing, without the user performing accel/decel's. What this non-uniform curve would look like is this:

flail illustration.png

What this allows is for deccels to require more precise parrybox manipulation, and because of this accels are a bit deceptive because the early part of the weapon's release follows a different curve.

• Thrusts would be jabs with the end of the shaft, meant to disrupt the enemy. They don't do a lot of damage. Additionally, since the shaft is only about 1/2 to 2/3 of the overall range, they have a lot less reach compared to the strikes.

• Thrusts can chamber other weapons' thrusts, just like any normal weapon. Because of this, the weapon has two vastly different ranges - and also one of the main reasons why all flails would need to have uniform dimensions between shaft and chain.

• Parrying is performed with the shaft, just like it was a dagger or shortsword, or any normal weapon. Once again, the uniform dimensions on the flails would help to make this look believable.

• You can use the flail without a shield - you have parrying. Because of this, flails work just like any other weapon.

EDIT: Lincs brought up an idea in another thread, the flail head could be pinched to the shaft to keep spazzy movement to a minimum.

C O N S I S T E N C Y
O
N
S
I
S
T
E
N
C
Y

This all comes together to give you a unique weapon that's still consistent, yet possesses interesting properties. It's uncharacteristically long for a one-handed blunt on strikes, while lacking range with it's shitty but disruptive thrusts. It possesses normal hit mechanics, but has a slightly different curve to its release that makes it useful at getting around defenses. It has a normal speed on attacks without a crazy 'held mode', but requires a slightly different playstyle to deal with its longer windup.

bam, flails

Estoc

Before I thought that it would be too min-maxed to be fun, but I think it could be the stabby version of a maul, essentially.

Cost: 4 (Equal to greatsword or poleaxe)
Use: Big stabbies from not too far away
Strike Damage: Blunt, low
Thrust Damage: Pierce, very high - highest stab in game
Reach: Moderately long, slightly less than greatsword length
Strike Speed: moderate, somewhere between longsword and greatsword (keep in mind shit damage)
Thrust speed: decent, roughly poleaxe

Alt: Halfsword
Alt Strike Damage: Blunt, even lower
Alt Thrust Damage: Pierce, higher than greatsword's alt grip
Alt Reach: Moderate, slightly less than GS halfsword grip
Alt Strike Speed: moderate, slightly lower than alt-greatsword speed
Alt Thrust speed: good, slightly higher than alt-greatsword speed

The estoc would be a high-cost weapon, about equal in cost to the greatsword - it would suffer from terrible strikes but would possess insanely high-damage stabs - enough to easily kill heavy armored players with two stabs to the head, and very dangerous to mediums and below armor tiers. It would lose out to proper polearms in terms of range, and would also tend to be slower than most two-handers like the poleaxe and longsword. If the estoc player can close range, however, it possesses a fast and pretty damaging halfsword grip, once again with thrusts, while its strikes continue to suffer. Players would gravitate to using the estoc over thrust centric weapons like the spear IF they're not intending to use standoff range and footwork to stay out of range, and instead want to be up close in a supporting role with the high damage potential over reach and speed. It's essentially the maul of thrust-based weapons.

Cosmetically, it would need a very narrow, high-profile blade. Most of these had triangular or cruciform blade profiles, which would help to keep new players from wondering why it doesn't cut things. Aside from that, it needs to be very pointy.
Another thing that could help to keep it distinguishable from the greatsword is an oversized crossguard, like the above example.

Knight 5096 6836
  • 24 Apr '17
 Humble Staff

Jax stahp, my moist levels are approaching the danger zone.

Duke 5473 13074
  • 24 Apr '17
 Jax — Community Manager

u know I can't bby

I hope flails make it in

seriously tho I think if the estoc was implemented like dis, I'd use it as a main with full heavy armor and like a dagger or whatever I can get as a backup

stabbin bois

Knight 5096 6836
  • 24 Apr '17
 Humble Staff

The estoc would a very nice adition indeed, but with the rapier as a posibility and being far more requested too i kinda not see it making it. Maybe that's just me since as far as swords are concerned, there are already 7 types so it seems that they are not afraid of bloating the available swords types.
Fucking swords, forever le MUH special weapon.

Duke 5473 13074
  • 24 Apr '17
 Jax — Community Manager

Well, the rapier is a one handed cut-and-thrust weapon, and I see the rapier's main benefit being speed, not necessarily raw damage with its thrusts. The estoc on the other hand would be like a short, slow spear on steroids, with less range than polearms but also slower than non-polearm 2-handers. I think it has a place, even though we have a lot of swords.

Knight 5096 6836
  • 24 Apr '17
 Humble Staff

It may have, i mean, im all in for a lot of weapon variety but the more you have the harder the balance.

Knight 3284 6716
  • 24 Apr '17
 Bodkin

ToLazy4Treadmill

mordhau fatty.PNG

Duke 5473 13074
  • 24 Apr '17
 Jax — Community Manager

tru humble

also tru emerald

@Humble Staff

What I think helps to balance weapons, even if you add a lot, is sticking them into specific ideal roles and balancing them off of that.

If you add three different types of arming swords, then you run into a balancing issue. If you add an arming sword, a cut-based sword, and a thrust-based sword, you have a reason to differentiate them properly.

Right now they have:

Dagger, which is the last resort weapon. It has some shit characteristics in terms of parrying and probably costs as much as a smoke pot

Shortsword, which is the next step up, and all other bad sidearms are the same cost

Arming sword, which is a decently long one-hander meant as a backup or a primary

Messer/falchion, which is the same cost but balanced towards cuts at the expense of thrusts

(Hopefully) thrusting sword, which is the opposite of the messer/falchion

Bastard sword, which has utility as a 1h/2h weapon and occupies a niche of being the weakest 2-hander, and probably one of the fastest

Longsword, which is dead-center in terms of weapon characteristics and is pretty versatile

(Hopefully) Estoc which is a thrust-based version of the greatsword

Greatsword which is the longsword but bigger and more costly

Zwei which is the greatsword but even bigger and even more costly

I think they all fit nicely tbh

Knight 5096 6836
  • 24 Apr '17
 Humble Staff

Well you have a point there, as long as every weapon category is different enough from each other, it would ultimately be personal choice wether to take the one handed balanced, cutting or thrusting sword.
Basically, what should be avoided is what happened in chiv: A lot of stat/role overlapping among weapons, making some of them redundant or outright the same but worse than others.

Duke 5473 13074
  • 24 Apr '17
 Jax — Community Manager

Yeah, exactly. Weapons like the broadsword and Norse sword in chiv would have been okay balance-wise, but the norse's slashes did almost identical damage to the broadsword.

With Mordhau, there should be a more pronounced difference.

Conscript 1394 2152
  • 24 Apr '17
 Smeelio

I love stabby stabbing with the norse sword in Chiv so your estoc sounds like my jam tbh, and you can never have enough flails
Although the flail should have a button that releases the head so you can spin it real fast and then launch it as an alternate attack for M A S S I V E D A M A G E
Seriously though good job

Sellsword 172 430
  • 6 May '17
 Pencilman

handgonne pls thx marox

Conscript 1394 2152
  • 6 May '17
 Smeelio

Hey actually a few people have made a few jokes about it already but I really want to see an ammoless gun as a skin for one of the blunt weapons even though if real guns aren't added
Probably would mess with identification though
I don't know if skins count as weapon suggestions but there you go

Count 164 303
  • 6 May '17
 ColonelMustache

@Smeelio said:
Hey actually a few people have made a few jokes about it already but I really want to see an ammoless gun as a skin for one of the blunt weapons even though if real guns aren't added

I said it as a joke, but same. I'd use it.

3234 4258
  • 6 May '17
 Havoc

@Smeelio said:

A handgonne with a blown barrel skin for the 1h mace.

9b42a657ebc51b0efeced0b0ce880d02

Conscript 1394 2152
  • 6 May '17
 Smeelio

@Havoc said:

@Smeelio said:

That gun actually really does look more effective for hitting people than shooting them, good handle with a big chunky head, nice

Knight 3284 6716
  • 7 May '17
 Bodkin

@Smeelio said:

@Havoc said:

@Smeelio said:

That gun actually really does look more effective for hitting people than shooting them, good handle with a big chunky head, nice

it's what that spike is for iirc