Mordhau

Weapons Suggestions Megathread

1 2
  • 16 May
 ThePickle

I'd love to see some Celtic armor and weaponry, would anyone else?

45 25
  • 16 May
 Digganob

@ThePickle said:
I'd love to see some Celtic armor and weaponry, would anyone else?

That'd be pretty cool honestly. I think they should add as many armors from the various cultures in Europe as possible, there are some really neat ones!

20 38
  • 16 May
 Gatordile

Gallowglass skin for greatswordmarc-grunert-galloglasssmall[1].jpg

16 1
  • 17 May
 Changeling

@Humble Staff said:

@Changeling said:

@Humble Staff said:
The arguments i remember are about not wanting to alienate their community* and saying that guns (even early firearms) would be hard to balance. Just think about it, to make them justice they would have to be either super annoying or super weak. If they are good only at short range it's logical they should pack a punch if the reload time is so long... but their projectiles gotta be super fast and unparriable too, i mean, they are fucking bullets. Doesn't matter if the weapon takes 10 seconds to reload, even if it were 30 dmg plate headshot, at short range it's basically hitscan, you can't defend against that (something Mordhau evades at all costs with ranged weaponry) and it requires no skill.
Just saying, if you want to do a firearm justice, it's pretty damn hard to justify it balance wise.

Easy :
Firearm
cost : 12 pts
Ammo: Have only 4 bullets
Reloading : 15sec
Damage : That's the big problem here... Since the whole game balance is inconsistent.
In fact, the game makes no distinction between 10th century Equipment

1397732.jpg

and 16th century Equipment

Royal_armoury_Stockholm_1.jpg

You are right, I don't see any way a bullet can be parried.
Bullets go fast, Hit Hard, but they're not as versatile as Bows, and not as accurate as X-bows.

A bullet can also ricochet on a plate. But that would mean slashes shouldn't be effective against Heavily armored...
Did you know heavy plate armor is virtually insensitive to slashes ?
"Plate armour was virtually invulnerable to sword slashes"

And you dare talking about balance ?
What are blunt weapons for then ?

"You killed me with a rapier, because you're fast, and mostly because my arms weren't protected... Let me grab a chain-mail...
Oh no difference... Ok let me try the heaviest armor with little to no interstice where this fighter could stab/slash me me...
Dead again ? Ok I need some training."

Here is the problem. Nothing is balanced in this game.
Sure there are better weapons than others. That's how it is.
People with a lance must stay behind people with shields.
Someone with a rapier can't block a zweihandler blow from upper, or can they ?
They can deflect, evade... But not block...
How does blocking with a rapier requires skill ? Timing skill maybe ? Yes. But that's all.
How is it justified ?
Balance ? Everyone's talking about the rapier and shield !

Enought whataboutism

Damage (next) : It must be the deadliest weapon.

So, your argument is that since the game is far from realistic and balance is hard to find we should throw it out the window and put these monstrosities that as you suggested should be the deadliest weapons in game in terms of damage?
I strongly disagree.
I think you just helped me prove my point with your post, like, if someone sees an enemy player with a firearm in his hands and it's not reloading it, getting close enough but not even reaching him in melee is a death sentence thanks to the unparriable and unavoidable bullet, or at the very least a call to retreat and wait to heal. People already freak out with archery as it is now, which is as weak and fair to melee players as it has ever been in any game of this kind ¿could you even imagine how these people would react to that? Lmao

Actually, if the man already fired his gun he's fucked. He needs 15 seconds to load. Unless he's got some back up, if he stands alone aginat you he'll need a secondary weapon OR switch his Gun to blunt position and still be ablt to bash peopl with it.

Laughing at it shows you did not understand my point at all.

Yes the game has no-lore hence we don't know when we are. We could be in 1222 or 1333 who cares ? But if we're closer to 1555 than 999 then there should be guns.

People already freak out with archery as it is now, which is as weak and fair to melee players as it has ever been in any game of this kind

I'm often killed by archers, and they do a pretty good job because I can't myself aim properly and often miss with ranged weapon.

Archers are good, and I think that they are not fast enough.
IMHO A good archer can fire a bow twice as fast as Mordhau archers actually can.
Archery was often used as a close range weapon agains unarmored and chainmail wearing enemies.

Guns were invited to the party because they were better against heavily armored knights.
Then Swords became thinner to slip through armor and still be able to hit -> Rapier
People began wear less and less armor because it was not cost effective against new ways of making War. Thus leading to peop^le like conquistadors which are often depicted as wearing a Helmet and an Upper Body Armor.

Anyway I think it's enough to say You already don't like Archery because you get killed and don't want people to enjoy killing you with a gun.

16 1
  • 17 May
 Changeling

@Kalzzifer said:
keltischer-streitwagen-in-aktion-100_768x432.jpg

DAS GOOD SHIT

Knight 5096 6837

@Changeling said:

People already freak out with archery as it is now, which is as weak and fair to melee players as it has ever been in any game of this kind

I'm often killed by archers, and they do a pretty good job because I can't myself aim properly and often miss with ranged weapon.

Archers are good, and I think that they are not fast enough.
IMHO A good archer can fire a bow twice as fast as Mordhau archers actually can.
Archery was often used as a close range weapon agains unarmored and chainmail wearing enemies.

Guns were invited to the party because they were better against heavily armored knights.
Then Swords became thinner to slip through armor and still be able to hit -> Rapier
People began wear less and less armor because it was not cost effective against new ways of making War. Thus leading to peop^le like conquistadors which are often depicted as wearing a Helmet and an Upper Body Armor.

Anyway I think it's enough to say You already don't like Archery because you get killed and don't want people to enjoy killing you with a gun.

First, i'm going to address this, especially that last line.
To dismiss me like that is to not know me at all my friend. I'm an old archer main from chivalry. Archery is the sole reason i stayed around that game with all its cancer mechanics and level 50 rapists that would offer new people not a single chance to even learn. Since i got mowed down like it was nothing all i could do is try to have fun dinking people safely from affar. And man those were good times, later during my chivalry playtime i felt more comfortable and knowledgeable with the mechanics and started playing some melee, especially man at arms because of the quarterstaff. Also i have always been in the archery side of the fence, since way back when archery for mordhau was just a thought and countless threads were made trying to discuss it (most of them devolved into shit flinging thanks to narrow minded melee fanboys). And i'm still waiting for my favourite ranged weapons, the sling (my signature archer weapon back in chiv) and the slingstaff to be implemented in the game.
I also love and enjoy playing archery but i recognize we have to strike this fine balance within power and fairness for us archery fans to not get bullied and hated to oblivion and for devs to not alienate their comunity who for the most part wants to play a melee game.

Actually, if the man already fired his gun he's fucked. He needs 15 seconds to load. Unless he's got some back up, if he stands alone aginat you he'll need a secondary weapon OR switch his Gun to blunt position and still be ablt to bash peopl with it.

Laughing at it shows you did not understand my point at all.

And you my friend seem to be ignoring the point i am making as well as the people that don't want guns in the game.
While the gun you proposed is unloaded yes he is fucked, but as long as he has 1 shot prepared to go, he has an unavoidable, high damaging, armor wrecking ranged projectile, doesn't matter if it's effective point and click range is just about a bit further than a spear's reach, if they can hit you before you reach him with any melee weapon in the game (the purpose of a ranged weapon) it will be unfair as balls for anyone, doesn't matter if it's a shot every 15-20 seconds, the unlucky fella that has to face the loaded boomstick will have no resources to avoid getting rekt by the gun (if the gunman is smart and waits for his targets to come close) other than just not getting close.
And that's talking just about a lone gunman, imagine 2 or 3, or worse, 5 or 6 of them close by. If the thing is so easy to use in close ranges, two of them would mean instant death to any enemy nearby, plate armor or not.

Yes the game has no-lore hence we don't know when we are. We could be in 1222 or 1333 who cares ? But if we're closer to 1555 than 999 then there should be guns.

Mordhau does not aim to represent a historically accurate timeframe, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't care and adds guns or say, roman, celtic or ancient greece equipement, which are all cool as fuck and would like to see but it's bonkers to expect them in vanilla.
Yes guns existed during medieval times, yes their first itterations weren't THAT scary in that time's warfare, but the way you are proposing them to exist in the game is the reason why devs haven't and will not add them. Not like that.
Even in their earliest forms, firearms drew a line in ancient warfare, even in their shitiest versions there were good reasons to use them. People just want a game with non-firearm antique weapons, in the case of Mordhau, within a very loose timeframe (roughly 900 to 1500)
Once again, wait for mods, people will make boomsticks for those.

Btw, i don't want you to get the impresion i'm personally attacking you in any way nor trying to ridiculize you for your ideas, i just strongly disagree with them and i'm baffled to see how you do not see their flaws. It's not my intention to hurt you friend, just to debate.

16 1

@Humble Staff said:
many interesting things

Neither do I want you any harm.

What are the flaws of archery ?

Knight 5096 6837

Na not archery, the flaws in your proposition of how firearms should be implemented
Pros

• Most damaging weapon in game
  • Fastest projectile too, unable to dodge (within efective range) or parry ¿i'm guessing it goes through shields too?

So basically point and click stick of death

Cons

• Very high reloading time
  • Practically useless out of effective range, the bullet just strays in a completely random direction (if it still does damage, adds even more rng to the battlefield, something not so desirable)

The situation this creates is a weapon that needs to make every single shot count, and given the speed of bullets it's absolutely brain dead to land shots at point blank distance, people would not want to try shots further than the effective range ¿why would they?. Plus, the only way for a gunman to contribute with a shot every 15-20 seconds is by one shotting an enemy with each bullet no matter the armor tier they are wearing, and that's one hell of a big no.
No matter in which scenario you put it, it sounds like an extremely frustrating thing to fight against, and a boring one to use tbh, your skills are not challenged in any way.
Get close enough, pick target, put crosshair on him, fire, probably kill him or leave him a paper cut away from death, run away to reload safely, repeat.

Mercenary 1118 2039

In short, a close quarters 'ranged' weapon that does massive damage... He wants a medieval shotgun. It's going to be obnoxious.

6 8

Not sure if this is the correct place to suggest this. If it isn't just let me know and I will repost this somewhere else.

Can we maybe get some of these as either shield options or skins for something like Heater Shield?

1DSGH.jpg

download.jpg

large-gun-shield-with-gauntlet-decoration-replica_2.jpg

Also some new guards, handles and blades for greatsword would be stellar. That weapon doesn't have a ton of options and executioner's sword seems like it got all the love when it came to modelling it, lol. Something like an oakeshott type 18e blade with a nice, slender ricasso? or maybe the type 18e would fit the estoc for blade and handle better?

sm-ng-danish2h.jpg

Other than that I would love to have Flails. I know it has been mentioned before in this thread though so I won't beat a dead horse.

Additionally I would like to throw in my hat for Sabers. Here are some nice ones! If not for Sabers than maybe as messer skins.

41b939a7021c90af1f56049eebdbc692.jpg

main-qimg-b2a92367e714081c2f930a80b45f61a7.jpg

WallaceCollection_A.489_s.jpg

Knight 5096 6837

Lantern shields would be a nice super weird bizarre map pick up for a city map.

6 8

@Humble Staff said:
Lantern shields would be a nice super weird bizarre map pick up for a city map.

Would be especially cool if they gave small amounts of illumination in front of the wielder too. I do kind of hope they become standard purchasable equipment though. I think they look cool and I would really like to use them more regularly.

Additionally, I posted above pictures of sabers. They are in fact swiss backswords, technically. I believe they are still classed as Sabers though. The above is from a museum piece.

For Sabers it would be cool if they had very high slash damage (like 90 against unarmored chest, 80 against legs, 75 against T1 etc) against unarmored targets that tapered to like 26 or 28 against T3 armor, while having stabs in the 33-38 range across the board. Would give it a really cool slash based playstyle against unarmored targets that transitioned into a more stab based playstyle against armored targets without the need to alt grip to switch. Alt grip could either by like bastard sword's alt grip or just not have an alt grip. Doesn't make sense for it to be thrown.

Slightly longer than messer (103cm blade based on google results), slightly slower than Longsword (Say like 575ms or so on swing but still a 600ms stab?). Maybe something in the 6 point cost range assuming good turn caps and stamina game?

would for sure be interesting to have a longer one hander.

1 1

In case it hasn't already been suggested I think that leather fighting/boxing gloves would be a great addition to the game as they have been around since greek/roman times, e.g. the Cestus - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cestus

2 0
  • 19 May
 Arkinblodd

Swordbreaker

Swordbreaker.png
Cost: 2-3
Use: Sword breaking or disarming ability (self-explanatory, can't disarm sword cost more than 5)*
Damage: Low (Equivalent or more than Dagger)
Range: 16 inch / 40 cm
Speed: Fast

*Can't disarm blunt weapons, axes, and probably weapon in mordhau stance.