Mordhau

Weapons Suggestions Megathread

41 55
  • 4 May
 cain

Why does everybody assume guns would "ruin" the game? They'd be incredibly slow and inaccurate over long distances, very high risk vs reward style weapons. It's not as if people are suggesting we add bolt action rifles into the game or something.

1058 1696

Early fire arms didnt even penetrate armor lol

but meh why bother

Mercenary 2185 3899

Fuck guns, where the shit is my actually viable 2H Mace ?

Mercenary 1074 1997

The last thing this game needs is more ranged weapons.

3 2

I don't think so, because it terms of being historical there were guns in those time periods, one way to balance is reload, range and of course as the game's point mechanic giving it around 10 or 11 points.

41 55
  • 6 May
 cain

I'd say 10 points for a heavy arquebus, longer range before damage falloff and a bit less shot deviation, along with more damage, but a slower reload and lower ammo pool.

Matchlock pistol could be 6 points, less damage, quicker falloff and more shot deviation, but a faster reload and bigger ammo pool.

Should guns be added, they would very much be mighty-glacier style weapons. Capable of good damage, but at a severe cost. I'm thinking a heavy arquebus would have a movement locked reload animation lasting anywhere from 3 to 5 seconds, meaning you'd be a sitting duck if you reloaded at the wrong time and place. Pistols could maybe allow you to move during the animation, but at a much slower speed. Think "carrying a powder keg on Camp" levels of slow.

The tradeoff would be a weapon perfect for taking out priority targets at range, able to dish out high damage but do so very, very slowly.

Opens the door for musketeer builds, cuirassurs, highwaymen, not to mention pistol duelling on duel servers.

Honestly it's kind of annoying when people immidiatly assume a few old-timey matchlocks would "ruin the game". Historically speaking it's actually stranger that we don't have any in the game considering they were in regular use throughout the 15th century onward, whilst a lot of the equipment in the game is mid 16th century at the earliest. It'd be like WWII with no tanks.

Knight 5096 6835

Yea well, devs have been adamant with the no guns side of this fence, and most of the comunity agrees.
You'll have to wait for mod tools to arrive tbh.

41 55
  • 6 May
 cain

@Humble Staff said:
Yea well, devs have been adamant with the no guns side of this fence, and most of the comunity agrees.

I haven't been caught up with the dev stream of Mordhau sadly, have the dev's given a reason for not wanting to include early firearms? They seem pretty staunchly in favour of historical accuracy in pretty much every other respect that doesn't interfere with balance, which is one of the things that drew me to the game so much in the first place. So the lack of matchlocks kinda... Stands out, at least to the history nerd within me.

45 25
  • 6 May
 Digganob

@cain said:

@Humble Staff said:

I haven't been caught up with the dev stream of Mordhau sadly, have the dev's given a reason for not wanting to include early firearms? They seem pretty staunchly in favour of historical accuracy in pretty much every other respect that doesn't interfere with balance, which is one of the things that drew me to the game so much in the first place. So the lack of matchlocks kinda... Stands out, at least to the history nerd within me.

Might be that they don't something you can't defend yourself against. Even if you're a naked guy with a knife, you can still defend yourself against any attack. If your opponent had a gun, it'd be able to get past any of your defenses. Even if you had a shield, you'd have no time to react, so they could just shoot you in the foot or something. Whereas if they had a bow, you can still parry it. Best you can do with a gun is predict when and where they will shoot.

Knight 5096 6835

The arguments i remember are about not wanting to alienate their comunity and saying that guns (even early firearms) would be hard to balance. Just think about it, to make them justice they would have to be either super annoying or super weak. If they are good only at short range it's logical they should pack a punch if the reload time is so long... but their projectiles gotta be super fast and unparriable too, i mean, they are fucking bullets. Doesn't matter if the weapon takes 10 seconds to reload, even if it were 30 dmg plate headshot, at short range it's basically hitscan, you can't defend against that (something Mordhau evades at all costs with ranged weaponry) and it requires no skill.
Just saying, if you want to do a firearm justice, it's pretty damn hard to justify it balance wise.

4 1

I don't really get the amount of talk in this thread towards putting firearms in. Isn't this game supposed to be melee focused? Seems counter-productive to the design. Anyone who's played Chivarly: Deadliest Warrior knows how annoying pirates are.

That said, if the Mordhau devs end up looking into an actual eastern expansion I think the Nagamaki could be an interesting addition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagamaki

There's not much for weapons like it for a medieval counterpart or I'd have mentioned it, but it's an interesting design that could work well for hitting multiple people.

I imagine it could have an alt-mode where you can have it be capable of reaching further like a polearm or something in exchange for slower swing speed, as sort of a makeshift polearm like how the mordhau grip is a makeshift mace basically.

4 1

Little suggestion, it would be very cool to implement orientals, japaneses, arabs weapons and armors. For example the famous katana, kopesh, scimitar, etc....Screenshot_45.png

A large shield will be very cool but without the blocked parade.
Screenshot_46.png

Screenshot_47.png

Screenshot_48.png

Also, add a spear to a longer hand than the short spear, which is more of a javelin than a spear.

Thank !

Mercenary 1074 1997
Knight 18 49
 DELTA38

@TheKingInTheNorth said:
Sabre wen tbh

^ This. A thousand times this.

1431512491240.jpg

41 55
 cain

While I'm eager to see more cultures represented (especially Middle-Eastern and East-European stuff) I don't think we'll get much Asian culture equipment. As cool as it would be, I doubt it'll make it in.

That said? I'd love some Indian Rajput gear:
george-johnstone-rajputsoldier.jpg

On the topic of new weapon ideas, there's a few I'd like to see added:

Side-swords - The cross between arming swords and rapiers; complex hilts and narrower blades than the former, but sturdier, shorter and more useful for slashing than the latter. Plus they just look cool:
bill_swor_cf_at_ss_h.jpg

Small swords - The rapier's smaller, more modern cousin. Generally worn by aristocrats and gentlemen in polite society, they were still weapons and some saw use on the battlefield in various configurations, usually worn by officers. Lighter, shorter and subsequently weaker than a rapier, but perhaps a nice sidearm for an otherwise decked-out soldier:
cs_ss_i.jpg

Glaives - The murderous cross between a billhook and a spear, essentially just a gigantic, angry blade on a long pole, typically used as an anti-cavalry weapon to wrench people off their horses. They'd probably be in the heavier class of weapons in Mordhau, much like Halberds and Longspears but I think they could be interesting:
1143260.jpg

War-Scythes - Similar to Glaives; a scythe-like blade mounted upright in a military haft, essentially a spear with a good slashing and cutting potential at a long distance, plus a cool look to boot:
ad32e1c4dbd243fbf023a50e17c94f83.jpg

Knight 460 888
  • 6 May
 wierHL

Despite all the stabbing on Frontline, I'd like to make a case for some more pointy things here.

First up, the ahlspiess/awlpike:
Hauptman_and_bodyguards_with_Ahlspiess.jpg
ahlspiess_heads.jpg
It would be a dedicated stabbing weapon: swing dmg would be pitiful across the board (aside from unarmored maybe) and have hitstop. As you can see it's typically about as tall as a human, but head/shaft ratio varies significantly. Therefore I suggest 2 skins:

• long head: shaft and head each around 1 m (3') with a clear rondel guard
  • shorter head: shaft around 1,6 m (5') and head 40 cm (16")

The shorter head skin would also open up an alternative ranseur (not to be confused with partisan) headpiece:
Ranseurs.jpg

I was mainly thinking about the middle ones there. The dmg tracers obviously can't be too long as well.
I'd make the ahlspiess the "bastard spear", with a slower 1H mode (perhaps even no combo). I know that's not how awlpikes were used historically as (big) shields were getting out of fashion, but Warband made it look believable enough imho.

Second, the often requested glaive:
Glaives_by_Wendelin_Boeheim.jpg
Plenty of heads to choose from. If I'm to trust wikipedia (I don't really) it should be around spear length and I imagine it retains spear-like stabbing properties and halberd-like slashing properties, though not as powerful as either. As I'm typing this it's starting to sound like either a weird spear skin or a discount halberd.
Does anyone here have some good sources on glaives?

Third, wardarts, here's Tod holding one:
wardart.PNG
Currently the shortspear is powerful (even read some ppl call it OP for 4 pts) but 1 throw and it's gone. Wardarts would serve as the dedicated javelin-like throwing weapons.
They're pretty much huge arrows and I wouldn't give them any melee mechanics. I'd make them rather expensive ('ll leave exact pt cost up to you guys) and give them about 4 ammo. They wouldn't be as lethal as shortspear throw.

Finally the pike:
pikes.jpg
These are typically twice as long as the wielder. In order to not make them super annoying or OP in formations they'd have to be nerfed somewhat from their IRL counterparts I'm afraid.

• no combos, long windup
  • abysmal swing dmg, hitstop
  • can't parry incoming arrows or bolts (not sure about other projectiles)

Alt mode "braces" the pike: your movement speed is reduced (no sprint at least) and you can't parry or attack until you switch back, but incoming cavalry moving at a speed where they can couch weapons will instead recieve couched dmg if they run into the pike, instantly killing the rider (or the mount if you aim lower). The user could perhaps hold the pike above them to make this clear.
This hypothetically makes the pike a dedicated anti-cavalry tool, an alright weapon in formation if proper teamwork is used and an awful choice for duels.

Alternatively, the pike:
pike.jpg
Every consecutive hit shows up in the killfeed. It's totally not a ripoff because you can alt-throw it and it latches onto people and they have to pry it off.

Also this post by u/UnbidEagle devs pls

PS I found this, some fun reading

Knight 7574 13874

there was a glaive skin for the polearm in Slasher

who remember

Conscript 85 146

SLING

Roman-Slingers-wore-no-armor-and-carried-only-a-shield-aside-from-their-sling-and-ammunition.jpg

Cost: 3 / 4
Use: Anti-archer / support / harassment
Damage: very low to low, blunt
Range: medium to long
Speed: From fast to long

Suggested attributes:

Cons

low damage

Pros

adjustable damage and range
fast
low point cost
wieldable by peasants
can use with shields

The sling has been a weapon of choice for antique skirmishers because of it's cheap nature and effectiveness against unarmored infantry,

In Mordhau it would be a long range alternative to throwables, a tool to have for a knight, as a peasants skirmishing weapon, or as an anti-archer (with huntsman perk) weapon.

Where this weapon shines, is when used in conjunction with a shield. When winding up a shot, the character would automatically raise his shield, thus giving him protection against enemy missiles, but obscure his vision / aim, just like with blocking.

Together with the peasant perk, you would have unlimited (worse) ammunition. The perfect setup to be a rock-hurling scumbag on a distance!

1058 1696

Instead of a light mace or cudgel we got a frying pan.

Need I say more?

Knight 5096 6835

@Byzantine said:
SLING

Roman-Slingers-wore-no-armor-and-carried-only-a-shield-aside-from-their-sling-and-ammunition.jpg

Cost: 3 / 4
Use: Anti-archer / support / harassment
Damage: very low to low, blunt
Range: medium to long
Speed: From fast to long

Suggested attributes:

Cons

low damage

Pros

adjustable damage and range
fast
low point cost
wieldable by peasants
can use with shields

The sling has been a weapon of choice for antique skirmishers because of it's cheap nature and effectiveness against unarmored infantry,

In Mordhau it would be a long range alternative to throwables, a tool to have for a knight, as a peasants skirmishing weapon, or as an anti-archer (with huntsman perk) weapon.

Where this weapon shines, is when used in conjunction with a shield. When winding up a shot, the character would automatically raise his shield, thus giving him protection against enemy missiles, but obscure his vision / aim, just like with blocking.

Together with the peasant perk, you would have unlimited (worse) ammunition. The perfect setup to be a rock-hurling scumbag on a distance!

The sling was also comonly used in medieval times, my last post in this thread about them had a video of Tod's Stuff talking about slings and mentioning how common they were in sieges.
I don't get the part of the adjustable damage and range, you mean like making it whirl faster over time?
I like the shield idea and i suggested it myself in this very thread too but it sure would be cancer.
I don't like the idea of infinite amunition, would have to make it super fucking weak or else once people start to get good with it, it would be absolute cancer. I agree its damage shouldn't be hig, that's reserved for the sling staff (pls devs i beg you), but it shouldn't be crap either. Shouldn't go beyond 4 htk plate headshot imho.

Chivalry got them right in my humble opinion, they weren't super powerfull, had clear and exploitable weaknesses and they were challenging to pick up compared to the rest of the archer weapons due to projectile speed and the (wonderfully done imho, feels pretty much like irl slinging) slight delay after releasing the lmb, but you definately could become an asset to your team if you were good enough with it, by staying mobile and constantly raining bullets on the enemy.