Mordhau

Weapons Suggestions Megathread

Duchess 6879 9845
  • 24 Mar '17
 Sir Zombie

If you get disarmed, then you get hit once but not twice. Having a sheath wouldn't/shouldn't change that.

Knight 40 40
  • 24 Mar '17
 Madcat

@Sir Zombie said:
If you get disarmed, then you get hit once but not twice. Having a sheath wouldn't/shouldn't change that.

Maybe not but there are more situations where a faster draw speed would help you out.

Duchess 6879 9845
  • 24 Mar '17
 Sir Zombie

Please give an example then.

Knight 40 40
  • 24 Mar '17
 Madcat

@Sir Zombie said:
Please give an example then.

Alright well
The equipping speed of a weapon is gonna decide when and where you can change to it. So let's say it takes.. 2 seconds to equip a 2h sword (Which is a long time, it's probably less in the game) then you're not gonna do it in mid combat as it would make you vulnerable. And if you are then you are going to need some space. Let's say having a sheath cuts of 0.5 seconds of those 2 seconds. Well now it's more viable to change your weapon in mid combat. You're less vulnerable and you need less space to do it.

And if it takes daggers even less time to equip as they are smaller weapons. Let's say it takes 1 second to equip a dagger and a sheath cuts 0.5 seconds of that time. With a 0.5 equip time you could have a dagger in your hands fast enough that it could catch your opponents off guard and open to a surprise attack

Those are two examples. Sheaths would also be a great way to provide more customization. We've already got armor and weapons that we can customize. Why not sheaths too? I'd like to see them. And if they provide a small gameplay benefit at a cost, why not.

It could promote more build variety too.
You could go for a 2h sword and a short sword in backup, or for the same cost you could trade the shortsword for a dagger with a sheath. Exchanging the weapon power of a short sword for the faster equipping speed of the dagger.

Duchess 6879 9845
  • 24 Mar '17
 Sir Zombie

You shouldn't be able to just change weapons willy-nilly like imho. If you want to, just kick your opponent.
From a customization standpoint I don't have anything against it but there are somethings that just shouldn't be changeable in a game. Weapon-switching being one of them.

Knight 40 40
  • 24 Mar '17
 Madcat

@Sir Zombie said:
You shouldn't be able to just change weapons willy-nilly like imho. If you want to, just kick your opponent.
From a customization standpoint I don't have anything against it but there are somethings that just shouldn't be changeable in a game. Weapon-switching being one of them.

Well why do you think that?
Weapon switching is one of the most well established mechanics in gaming. This game already promotes having more then one weapon.

Duchess 6879 9845
  • 24 Mar '17
 Sir Zombie

If you have two weapons and they had an extremely small switching time, then it'd be like 1 single weapon. That makes weapons that normally have a large drawback too good imho.

Knight 40 40
  • 24 Mar '17
 Madcat

@Sir Zombie said:
If you have two weapons and they had an extremely small switching time, then it'd be like 1 single weapon. That makes weapons that normally have a large drawback too good imho.

I'm sure they would work out a balance that felt fair during alpha and beta stages. The weapon switching times were an example for the sake of argument. Of course they should find that sweet spot where switching weapons is neither too powerful or completely useless

10 14
  • 24 Mar '17
 Raccoon

@Madcat the reason being sheathe would not be a good idea is that switching to your fists will generally give you a slight speed advantage or throwing your sword might cause a beneficial way of getting rid of your weapon/toggle fists. In a sense, sheathe is indirectly provided for your character. Plus, I don't think devs want to spend a lot of time making new weps for our arsenal. More than likely they will do 1 or 2 new ideas

10 14
  • 24 Mar '17
 Raccoon

I like the caltrops idea. I could see devs making that into the release

Knight 40 40
  • 24 Mar '17
 Madcat

@Raccoon said:
@Madcat the reason being sheathe would not be a good idea is that switching to your fists will generally give you a slight speed advantage or throwing your sword might cause a beneficial way of getting rid of your weapon/toggle fists. In a sense, sheathe is indirectly provided for your character. Plus, I don't think devs want to spend a lot of time making new weps for our arsenal. More than likely they will do 1 or 2 new ideas

I'm not sure I understand your first point.

I realize you can sheathe already weapons without an actual sheath. I was suggesting having an actual sheathe as a utility item that you can see on players. If you don't pick it weapons are just sheathed regularly

It's a lot of work sure. But visually it's something cool they could add if they wanted to.

Conscript 4560 6299
  • 24 Mar '17
 vanguard

What about more joke weapons like the lute?

We could have drums and shit, that would be funny as fuck imo

I mean why not have this:

Its pure genious tbh what they did in Napoleonic Wars

Knight 40 40
  • 24 Mar '17
 Madcat

@vanguard said:
What about more joke weapons like the lute?

We could have drums and shit, that would be funny as fuck imo

I mean why not have this:

Its pure genious tbh what they did in Napoleonic Wars

Oh yes. More musical instruments would be awesome. I'm not sure what kind of instruments they had back then but drums.. Trumpets.. some kind of war horn would be nice additions!

41 54
  • 24 Mar '17
 JulianusVatinius

@TombstoneJack said:

@Jax said:
Flail:
Idk how you'd implement it without it being retarded :(

just don't give it physics

But flails are all about momentum; at that point you might as well make an extra long morning star. You can implement flails without it being super weird just make it so you have to do a rhythmic swinging like up wait wait down wait wait up wait wait down wait wait etc. That way it can't be broken/cheated.

Duke 986 1381
  • 24 Mar '17
 PadanFain

@Jax said:
This fucking dagger skin

hb_26.145.94

SO HAWT
It's technically a parrying dagger but smooth the edges and it's a regular dagger <3

Needs a ruby hilt tbh

3234 4260
  • 25 Mar '17
 Havoc

Handgonnes, Flails.

Conscript 1394 2153
  • 26 Mar '17
 Smeelio

That guy's angry blade hat from James Bond

Duke 5496 13122
  • 26 Mar '17
 Jax — Community Manager

As for instruments, a shawm would be hilarious

only way to really get your juices flowing tbh

41 54
  • 26 Mar '17
 JulianusVatinius

We need bagpipes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsxjXArvdXU
and drums so we can get a real irish tune going.

1 6
  • 28 Mar '17
 Sangth

Though it's not an offensive "weapon", I would love to see them add pavises for dedicated crossbow users. Pavises were large shields that could be set up by the pavisier as a place to load and fire behind on the battlefield, some had a prop or spike at the bottom of them in order to plant them in the ground.

It goes without saying that I hope they would add heavy crossbows as well, you know the ones, essentially the first "sniper rifles" in history that were all about waiting for the right moment to fire and the right person to fire at.

I like the idea of having a tower shield and some sidearm for melee use if things got too close, but being able to set up that shield as a bit of deployable cover to fire off some shots from if the battle was further off.

Balestriere1.jpg