Mordhau

Stretch Goal Weapons Suggestions Megathread

Duke 5068 10709
  • 20 Mar '17
 Jax — Community Manager

Preface

We know that there will be more weapons added to Mordy, since we hit the stretch goal (good job everyone). While I'm sure quite a few of these are probably already being made and just weren't ready for the KS reveal, a good bit of the eventual weapons probably haven't been created yet. The purpose of this thread is to discuss what weapons and items we'd like to see in the game at full release. The list below will be the ones I'd like to see most, but are also ones that:

• realistically could be added in between now and release, which means 1 year's worth of time to create assets, implement mechanics, balance and playtest.
  • serve a purpose, adding a specific role or usage that isn't currently present
  • diversify the weapon selection without bloating the game with unnecessary variations of weapons
  • aren't meme suggestions

A lot of these suggestions aren't brand new, but I've organized them into a coherent format and have sifted through what I think are the good suggestions.

Weapon Balancing

I'll be making a few assumptions here, as I haven't asked the devs about anything specifically.

Maximum items equippable:

Around 4 will most likely be the max - this comment by marox points to at least 3, adding the possibility of a shield or some utility items means it could reasonably hit 4, not including armor/skill points taking away from max. equipable items. With knowledge of pickup weapons (lance) not being able to be holstered/stored, we could potentially see 5 on spawn, but it's unlikely or requires you to go unarmored. An example could be 2 short spears, a shield, hand axe, and a utility item. The equipped item would have to be dropped (or thrown) if you wish to unequip it.
None of what I said is confirmed, but simply speculation.

Cost:

As far as we know, weapons will have a cost to equip them in your loadout. The general assumption I'll be using to balance everything is that the higher the cost, the better the weapon, more or less. Sure, a shortsword would probably be better than a halberd in confined spaces, but a halberd is generally a more superior weapon in regular use.

After talking to Marox, I've been informed that the weapon costs are being made more varied or 'granular' so to speak, to allow for weapons to be differentiated. While we know that there will be different tiers by cost, we don't know what the exact values will be. However, with some deduction, we can use the confirmed weapons and make a list of a few that we have:

• Dagger
  • Shortsword
  • Arming sword
  • Bastard sword
  • Longsword
  • Greatsword
  • Zweihander
    If we were to group these into cost tiers, I'd imagine dagger would be the lowest-tier, and be grouped in with non-combat utility items like smokepots and stuff. Moving on, shortsword and arming sword would probably be in the same tier as low/mid-level one-handers. Bastard and longsword would most likely be grouped together, as they're both versatile weapons that I'd assume would be used as primary weapons for some loadouts. Greatsword and Zweihander would most definitely be high-level weapons, with the Zwei being most likely the same cost as polearms such as a halberd, etc.

With some deductive reasoning, we can assume that the costs will look something like this:

• Dagger: 1 'point'
  • Shortsword: 1-2
  • Arming sword: 2-3
  • Bastard sword: probably 3
  • Longsword: 3-4
  • Greatsword: probably 4
  • Zweihander: 4-5
    And we reach a total of 4 or 5 points as the maximum. I'm going to go with 5, as I think that 4 points would be harder to balance with, especially when you consider that there's already about 30 weapons in the game.

Damage Types

I think that pierce damage may fall under the category of 'balanced' damage. I put everything in as 'pierce' instead of balanced to avoid confusion, but that makes sense to me.

Suggestion Time!

Utility Items

Caltrops:

plik1193a

Cost: 1 (contains three uses)
Use: Cavalry disruption
Damage: Low, horse only
Range: Placed, 2m radius

Since lances are gonna fuck people up, caltrops would be a great deterrent and means to disrupt cav charges, keep archers and chokepoints safe, and protect infantry. A bag of caltrops would come with three separate uses, which would be tossed at the player's feet when used, covering a 2m radius. Placed caltrops could emit a small glint, so the cavalry has some sort of visual feedback on where to avoid. Once placed, caltrops would cause slight damage to any horse that's travelling over them (5-10 hp max), as well as preventing the horse from getting to a speed at which you can couch the lance. Once trampled, the caltrops will be expended and disappear. If ammo boxes are a thing, a player can only place a maximum of 3 sets of caltrops, to prevent caltrop minefields. I see this as more of a specialty item, and since I doubt many people would be equipping caltrops, they can be decently powerful/useful as described above.

Bandages:

be3bfeee763d0d55b7e6b50deb8d234b

Cost: 1 (contains 2 uses)

While we're still not 100% on how healing will work, when a bandage is used on either the player or a teammate, an animation of the player wrapping a bandage around the arm or w/e will play. The bandages should have to be equipped, and then LMB would self heal, while RMB would heal others. The need to equip should be long enough to actually make players disengage to heal, but not long enough to make bandages useless. Once the animation finishes, health regenerates rapidly to 100% over the course of a couple of seconds. Implementation of this for self-healing would be relatively trivial, but I'm unsure how it would work for healing teammates. Maybe if the player moves after the animation begins it cancels the healing process. Definitely no lock-in animations for healing (or anything).
The purpose of bandages would be to allow players to finish an engagement and push the objective without having to wait for fresh friendly spawns, or health to regen. Let's say 4 players face off against 4 enemies, and kill them. They can take either 20ish seconds to heal normally, or take about 5 to heal each other and continue pushing the objective.

Pickup weapons

Feder:

feder_ek_1

Cost: 0 (Pickup)
Use: Joke / Practice
Damage: negligible
Range: identical to longsword
Speed: identical to longsword

Alt grip - Mordhau
Damage: 1 HP
Range: identical to mordhau'd LS
Speed: identical to mordhau'd LS

The feder (also known as the Federschwert) is a sword that was developed at least by the 15th century, and is a fencing equivalent to the longsword. This could be found in armories, training yards and potentially be equipable as a loadout weapon (matter of debate). It would be distinguishable from actual longswords due to the crazy ricasso and ideally should only have one weapon skin, as it isn't intended to be an actual weapon, therefore shouldn't eat up more time from the devs. The purpose of this, aside from being a joke weapon would be to allow people to practice dueling without having to constantly respawn, which would be a nice quality of life feature. Sure, you could mod a server to have 0% damage, but then you'd have to change those settings back if you wanted to actually fight. With this, you could grab a Feder from the side of the training ground, practice chambers with a friend, drop them and fight with real weapons.

Wooden Arming Sword

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/attachments/photoshop-gurus-news-and-announcements/41977d1391921689t-new-forum-moderator-wood_sword_website_grande-jpg-v-1333838275-jpg

Cost: 0 (Pickup)
Use: Joke / Practice
Range: identical to AS
Speed: identical to AS

Alt grip - Thrown
Range: identical to AS
Speed: identical to AS

So, the wooden sword would be the exact same as the Feder is to the arming sword, allowing you to practice fighting with 1h weapons and shields. Same as the feder, it should only have 1 skin, as any more would be a waste to the dev team. Not too much more to say.

TO BE CONTINUED

Duke 5068 10709
  • 20 Mar '17
 Jax — Community Manager

Ranged weapons

Handgonne:

ce111b3161d24324414a00774970b286

Cost: 3 (equivalent to bastard sword)
Use: Anti-cavalry, two uses before resupply
Damage: High, balanced
Range: 50m*
Speed: Very slow

So, this one's going to be controversial. I advocated for the hand cannon/handgonne a while back, and then reconsidered that, thinking it wouldn't be a good addition as it would either be frustrating as hell to play against, or nerfed into worthlessness. This was because all the hypothetical balance situations I ran in my head were based on it being an anti-infantry/knight killer. When horses were revealed, along with the very powerful OHK lance, I figured there wouldn't really be a direct counter aside from running and avoiding them - you can't beat a heavy cavalry charge in a direct fight. Now, I think there's a place for a handgonne in a way that makes it one of the only direct counters to cavalry first, and an alright anti-infantry weapon second.

The very controversial handgonne would be a ranged weapon, meaning it's locked behind the ranged skill tree, requiring the same skill level as the recurve bow. It comes with one shot loaded in the muzzle plus one extra, and must be equipped to fire (unlike throwables).

When the player decides to fire it, he clicks the LMB to ignite the fuse which takes a little less than a second, and a 5 second countdown begins. The countdown would produce a good amount of smoke, sparks and noise, not only alerting everyone nearby to the fact someone is about to potentially shoot them, but also slightly obscuring the shooter's vision. Additionally, when you've lit the fuse, your movement speed is slowed drastically. If you take damage when the handgonne is lit, the fuse goes out and you have to restart the whole process. After firing, RMB would reload the handgonne, taking around 8 seconds.

The hangonne has no iron sights or aiming device, and RMB simply cancels the fuse, resetting it back to default. As for range, there'd be a decent drop and medium speed projectile velocity, so not too much faster than the recurve bow. In addition to this, the handgonne wouldn't have great accuracy, being able to hit a man standing at about 15m and a horse and rider at about 30m due to inherent dispersion.

The characteristics I propose keep the weapon from being impossible to react to; on foot, you've got about 6 seconds to close the handgonne's 15 meter effective range, throw a weapon, or take cover. If you're an archer, you've got about 6 seconds to aim and take a shot at a more or less stationary target, while having a range and accuracy advantage. If you're on horseback, you have around 6 seconds to either close and lance the guy, or retreat, forcing the other player to cancel his shot.

Personally, I think this would actually add to the skill ceiling regarding cavalry vs infantry, and make fights more dramatic. Both the handgonner and the lancer would have to judge time and distance; if the handgonnner lights the hand cannon too late, he'll take a lance to the face, but if the cavalry charges from too far away, he'll get shot just before he's about to kill the gunner. Additionally, I think some actual tactics would come from this - bait a hand cannoneer to light his gun, close like you're going to lance him, and back out at the last second, making him miss, or cancel. If he cancels, then you're a lot closer and have 6 seconds to close again. If a handgonner and someone with caltrops are coordinating, they could lock down a certain avenue of approach, keeping their infantry safe from lancers. The cavalry could coordinate with friendly archers to disrupt the handgonner as he goes for a charge.

As for damage, I'm not sure how horses' health works, but ideally one shot to an unarmored horse would kill the horse and throw the rider, and it would take two shots to kill an armored horse. If the shot isn't fatal on the horse, you'd simply slow it, which at least gives the gunner some time to move out of the way. Since you only have two shots, the damage potential is pretty low unless you actually hit with both shots, which also helps to keep this from being a 'noob weapon'.
In regards to infantry, I don't think this weapon should be a one hit kill on plate. With an optimal shot to the head of a plate-armored guy, this should do no more than 90 HP of damage, preferably less. Against medium and low-tier armor, I think headshots should prove fatal, and potentially a OHK to completely unarmored torsos. With this being said, all normal rules to projectiles would apply. This means that shields would block the handgonne's projectile, and you can even parry it. Parrying will be relatively easy, as you have at least 5 seconds to realize someone is trying to put a hole in you, and time the parry. The handgonne will simply not be very effective against infantry who are aware of its presence, which should be pretty easy considering the thing lights on fire for 5 seconds before it goes boom.
/rant

One-handed weapons

Cutting sword:

Added to game! <3

Falchion_sword

szabla-kawaleryjska-zolnierska-wz-34,107,duzy

Cost: 3 (Equal to bastard sword)
Use: Higher cost, specialized version of arming sword. Essentially a "1-handed primary"
Strike Damage: Cut damage, slightly higher than bastard sword
Thrust Damage: Pierce damage, mediocre
Reach: Slightly longer than an arming sword, shorter than the bastard sword
Strike Speed: Slightly slower than arming sword
Thrust speed: Slower than arming sword
Alt: Thrown, not ideal

The 'cutting sword' would be a sword that is similar but superior to the arming sword, and a less versatile but in some situations superior weapon to the bastard sword. It would have a higher damage output and better speed than the bastard sword on strikes, but suffer from poor performance with thrusts and also having less reach. Since it is a higher cost than the arming sword and other typical 1H weapons, this would be more viable as a primary weapon when paired with a shield, and while lacking the versatility of a bastard sword, would perform better in its specialized role.

If the messer is actually in the game and is a separate sword, the falchion, messer, szabla (early polish sabre) and even the backsword could all fit in as skins if they are visually identifiable as being a 'cutting sword'.

Thrusting sword:

Added to game! <3

bolognese_sidesword__5__by_danelli_armouries-d6u913u

COMPLETE-RING-AND-POST-SIDE-SWORD

Use: Higher cost, specialized version of arming sword. Essentially a "1-handed primary"
Strike Damage: Cut damage, pretty-fucking-bad
Thrust Damage: Pierce damage, roughly equal to bastard sword
Reach: Bastard sword or slightly less
Strike Speed: slightly slower than the arming sword
Thrust speed: fast, about arming sword speed
Alt: Thrown, not ideal

I specifically put "Thrusting Sword" and linked pictures of a sidesword, as opposed to a rapier for a reason. I'm not suggesting a rapier - a rapier would have longsword-like length, retarded speed, and 0 cutting capability, and rapiers weren't widely used on the battlefield. The sidesword, or "thrusting sword" in this context, is essentially the middle ground between the arming sword and the rapier, and would fit into the theme of Mordhau much better than the rapier would. Since the sidesword was still suited to battle in some aspects it wouldn't have to be 'min-maxed' balance-wise to seem intuitive.

If the 'cutting sword' is essentially a better version of the arming sword that leans towards strikes instead of thrusts, the 'thrusting sword' would do the same in the opposite direction, but a little more exaggerated. The thrusting sword would cost the same as the bastard sword, and while it sacrifices most of its strike damage, it makes up for it with fast, moderately powerful thrusts with good range. With my suggestion, a player using the thrusting sword would have a decently quick, long weapon that isn't particularly powerful, suiting it to use in duels or small engagements. Its weak but relatively quick strikes could be used to disrupt enemy players and open their defenses in regards to chambers, at which point a thrust would do some pretty good damage. Since it doesn't have rapier-like length or high damage, it's unlikely to be overpowered. It can outclass other smaller or slower weapons in a one-on-one engagement due to its speed, but in team fights you'd be at a serious disadvantage due to HTK concerns.

TO BE CONTINUED

Duke 5068 10709
  • 20 Mar '17
 Jax — Community Manager

Two-Handed Weapons

2H Blunt weapons
So if you look at the confirmed weapons, you can see some tiers for the 2h weapons. For axe-type weapons, you have, for example:

1. Battle axe
  2. Bardiche
  3. Halberd
    I left out the poleaxe because it's probably a hybrid weapon-thing, balance-wise. MOST VERSATILE

So going off of this, I think that there should be a few weapons that fulfill the roles for blunt 2h weaponry.

Quarterstaff

Added to game! <3

captureqs1974

stock-photo-set-of-dry-tree-branch-isolated-on-white-background-180640520

Use: Cheap stick, good for keeping angry loner knights away
Strike Damage: Blunt, moderate
Thrust Damage: Blunt, pretty shit
Reach: Good, more than LS/poleaxe/most 2h non-polearms
Strike Speed: equivalent to longsword
Thrust speed: good, roughly bastard sword

Alt: Half-staff
Alt Strike Damage: Blunt, on par with 1h blunts (mace/warhammer)
Alt Thrust Damage: Blunt, really shit
Alt Reach: Short, slightly less/equal to arming sword
Alt Strike Speed: fast, comparable to arming sword
Alt Thrust speed: fast, comparable to arming sword

The quarterstaff would be the 'budget option' of 2-handed blunts, suitable for use with a lot of utility items, low-tier archers (maybe), and skirmisher-type loadouts. Its long range and decent speed would make up for the moderate strike damage and weak thrust attacks. If in confined spaces, the half-staff mode of use would allow for fast, aggressive play at the expense of damage output. Like the thrusting sword, the quarterstaff would be good for lone enemies or small fights where lower HTK isn't as useful as being able to disrupt enemies and whittle their health away safely. Players that prefer more protection might skip over this for a weapon that has better damage potential at the cost of being a little more risky to use, as they can soak up more hits.

Morningstar (2-Handed):

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/1/12/Morning-stars1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20111012004057

Cost: 4-5 (Equal to bardiche)
Use: Knight killer
Strike Damage: Blunt, very high
Thrust Damage: Blunt, average
Reach: Moderate, longsword length
Strike Speed: slow, roughly bardiche
Thrust speed: slow, roughly bardiche

Alt: Choked grip
Alt Strike Damage: Blunt, good
Alt Thrust Damage: Blunt, low
Alt Reach: Short, comparable to LS mordhau grip
Alt Strike Speed: moderate, comparable to poleaxe normal
Alt Thrust speed: moderate, comparable to poleaxe normal

The 2-handed mace/morningstar would be a high cost 2h primary blunt weapon meant specifically to kill plate users. Like the bardiche, it would sacrifice range and versatility for sheer power. While one of the slowest weapons in the game, it would have the highest damage potential against plate-armored opponents.

It's a non-cheese maul what can I say

Lucerne Hammer:

w40a

Cost: 5 (Equal to halberd)
Use: Distance knight killer
Strike Damage: Blunt, high
Thrust Damage: Pierce, good
Reach: Long, roughly halberd length
Strike Speed: slow, slower than halberd
Thrust speed: slow, slower than halberd

Alt: Choked grip, beak
Alt Strike Damage: pierce, moderate
Alt Thrust Damage: pierce, good
Alt Reach: Short, comparable to LS mordhau grip
Alt Strike Speed: below average, slightly slower than halberd
Alt Thrust speed: below average, slightly slower than halberd

The Lucerne Hammer would more or less be a blunt version of the halberd. It would cost 5 points, equal to top-tier polearms and would have high blunt damage on strikes (but not as much damage as the morningstar). As opposed to the morningstar, the Lucerne Hammer would have a spearpoint that does decent damage, which coupled with its range makes it a more versatile weapon. To counter this versatility and knight-defeating ability, the LH should have slower attacks than a halberd would, which would suit it anyways. Its alt-mode would be a choked grip while also using the beak, which would obviously be faster than the normal use. Since it does have a secondary mode that deals a different damage type, a way to make the halberd (which doesn't change damage types) still have a purpose would be to make the LH's alt mode a little slower than the halberd.

Godendag:

Added to game! <3

goedendr

Cost: 3 (ideally less than poleaxe)
Use: Poor man's lucerne hammer
Strike Damage: blunt, good
Thrust Damage: pierce, average (less than balanced/thrusting weapons)
Reach: short/moderate, about bastard sword
Strike Speed: moderate, roughly longsword
Thrust speed: slow, roughly polearm (morningstar?) speeds

Alt: Choked 'halfsword' grip
Alt Strike Damage: blunt, moderate
Alt Thrust Damage: pierce, average
Alt Reach: short, comparable to arming sword/cutting sword
Alt Strike Speed: below average, slightly slower than longsword
Alt Thrust speed: moderate, comparable to bastard sword

The Godendag would be a low-cost two hander, comparable to the quarterstaff, which possesses good blunt strike damage and a decent thrust attack at the cost of some speed and reach. To differentiate it from the quarterstaff, the Godendag would be much slower and shorter but would have a higher damage potential on both strikes and thrusts. Whereas the quarterstaff relies upon multiple quick hits with thrusts being used to disrupt, the Godendag would rely upon landing a few solid hits with both strikes and thrusts. In the alt mode, the Godendag would use the half sword animations to give it spear-like properties; it would lose a bit of power and speed from its strikes, but would not only retain the damage it has for thrusts but would also benefit from a speed increase. In the normal mode, the strikes are the primary means of damage with thrusts being used when applicable, but in the alt mode the opposite is true. This would give the Godendag an almost hybrid-like practicality, which fits in with the spirit of the real-life weapon.

Honorable Mention

See THIS COMMENT for my thoughts on flails and the estoc.

Knight 4100 4310
  • 20 Mar '17
 CaptainGaymer

katana

Duke 6669 9144
  • 20 Mar '17
 Sir Zombie

Fireball

882 2601
  • 20 Mar '17
 TombstoneJack

@Jax said:
Flail:
Idk how you'd implement it without it being retarded :(

just don't give it physics

Duke 5068 10709
  • 20 Mar '17
 Jax — Community Manager

@TombstoneJack said:

@Jax said:
Flail:

which in turn is retarded when someone parries the chain and shatters muh immersion

Knight 5588 9440
  • 20 Mar '17
 ToLazy4Name

As much as i'd like to see middle eastern weapons and such, I really don't know what purpose they'd serve overall so I dunno. Could possibly just add them in as skins for other weapon types.

Definitely would like to see eastern armor though.

882 2601
  • 20 Mar '17
 TombstoneJack

@Jax said:

@TombstoneJack said:

@Jax said:
Flail:

which in turn is retarded when someone parries the chain and shatters muh immersion

oh god another realism nerd if you want to play a game that has realism down to the T play skyrim and keep this crap out of my table top card game

Conscript 1394 2137
  • 20 Mar '17
 Smeelio

I really like this stuff! The Handgonne sounds like my jam honestly.
I would maybe suggest adding Flail to your list like 5 more times, and then also adding one of those huge two-handed maces.
Also slings or bust

Duke 5068 10709
  • 20 Mar '17
 Jax — Community Manager

@ToLazy4Name said:
As much as i'd like to see middle eastern weapons and such, I really don't know what purpose they'd serve overall so I dunno. Could possibly just add them in as skins for other weapon types.

Definitely would like to see eastern armor though.

yeah, you could add kebab sabers under 'cutting sword' like pulwar, tulwar, shamshir and scimitar etc.

Duke 5068 10709
  • 20 Mar '17
 Jax — Community Manager

@Smeelio said:
I would maybe suggest adding Flail to your list like 5 more times, and then also adding one of those huge two-handed maces.
Also slings or bust

Thanks!
"huge 2h mace" would be the Morningstar
Flail is so wonk idk how it would work
Slings could be cool too, forgot about em

And Smeelio it's not just the physics, there's so many characteristics of a flail that would require special exception to the combat mechanics of Mordhau that would make it a really gimmicky weapon imho

Conscript 1394 2137
  • 20 Mar '17
 Smeelio

@Jax said:

@Smeelio said:
Also slings or bust

Thanks!

Wait so Morningstar doesn't just mean spiky mace of any length? TIL

Duke 5068 10709
  • 20 Mar '17
 Jax — Community Manager

@Smeelio said:

@Jax said:

@Smeelio said:
Also slings or bust

Thanks!

No, it isn't technically accurate, but "Two-Handed Mace" is a shit name so I called it the Morningstar to avoid confusion

Conscript 1394 2137
  • 20 Mar '17
 Smeelio

@Jax said:

@Smeelio said:

@Jax said:

@Smeelio said:
Also slings or bust

Thanks!

No, it isn't technically accurate, but "Two-Handed Mace" is a shit name so I called it the Morningstar to avoid confusion

haha oh now I get it nice one dude I really can't say anything more lol.gif

Conscript 4124 4999
  • 20 Mar '17
 vanguard

Hey Mr Jax nice thread tbh, I like the handgonne idea u had, sounds balanced and fun, specially the 5 sec to fire thing lmao, that would bring in some tense as fuck moments imho specially when trying to parry it

Duke 5068 10709
  • 20 Mar '17
 Jax — Community Manager

@vanguard said:
Hey Mr Jax nice thread tbh, I like the handgonne idea u had, sounds balanced and fun, specially the 5 sec to fire thing lmao, that would bring in some tense as fuck moments imho specially when trying to parry it

thanks I have no life tbh :>
you're fighting some guy and you hear the fizz... OHFUCKOHFUCK

Conscript 4124 4999
  • 20 Mar '17
 vanguard

Yes! It reminds me of that game sourcemod Fistful of Frags, when you hear that dinamite being lit and u go full retard trying to footwork the hell out of there, that was such a great fun game lmao. A handgonne arena would be fun even, everyone with these weapons and unlimited ammo or some shit, the fact it takes 5 secs to shoot is a nice gameplay mechanic imo I would freak out if I was using one of these against another person using it as well!

Hahhah I also have no life Mr Jax tbh

:(

166 1093
  • 21 Mar '17
 Grator — Art

This topic has been pinned.

Duke 5068 10709
  • 21 Mar '17
 Jax — Community Manager

Oh hey, thanks Grator!