Mordhau

Speculation on the Unnamed "Competitive" Game Mode

1627 2894
  • 22 Mar '17
 Ranten

What is the point of creating a new competitive mode if it is exactly like 5v5 LTS but with small TOs that don't even matter

Knight 289 200
  • 22 Mar '17
 TheUprising

@Ranten said:
The unnamed mode was featured in the trailer. There was around 16-20 bots on that map. Horses are exclusive to that mode which would be strange for a 5v5 mode, also would be if there were only 10 players on such a huge map.

Honetly, I'd rather have competitive 32v32 "clan" wars, not your cliched 5v5 with small objectives. You guys are taking Mordhau for a CSGO with swords, it's a different game that needs different means of competition.

This post is cancer

Knight 289 200
  • 22 Mar '17
 TheUprising

@Ranten said:
What is the point of creating a new competitive mode if it is exactly like 5v5 LTS but with small TOs that don't even matter

Because like CSGO, people will split up to complete the objective, rather than just run into each other and have it be over in 3 seconds.

Though I'm not a fan of this, I would rather it be timed 5v5 capture the fort.

Knight 4105 4365
  • 22 Mar '17
 CaptainGaymer

i didnt say it had to be that, just dont add a fuckton of people for the sake of adding a fuckton of people because you dont want it to be like CSGO

Duke 2264 3998
  • 22 Mar '17
 Huggles

Wait wait wait, I think you guys are seriously underestimating how much skill it would take to keep up with top players in a large battle. This isn't the type of game where you can just run into a crowd and smash lmb coming out on top. More likely than not, the vast majority of players would be overwhelmed in that kind of scenario and not be able to do much whereas extremely skilled players who can feasibly handle 3-6 people on their own facing off against multiple opponents who can do the same is going to be intense as fuck.

Individual skill will always matter because of the way the mechanics work. And as for this blob stuff, if you blob up you're just going to end up like the Romans at the battle of Cannae.

Knight 289 200
  • 22 Mar '17
 TheUprising

@Huggles said:
Wait wait wait, I think you guys are seriously underestimating how much skill it would take to keep up with top players in a large battle. This isn't the type of game where you can just run into a crowd and smash lmb coming out on top. More likely than not, the vast majority of players would be overwhelmed in that kind of scenario and not be able to do much whereas extremely skilled players who can feasibly handle 3-6 people on their own facing off against multiple opponents who can do the same is going to be intense as fuck.

Individual skill will always matter because of the way the mechanics work. And as for this blob stuff, if you blob up you're just going to end up like the Romans at the battle of Cannae.

The main competitive mode can't be 32v32, why is this even up for debate? Finding teams and getting them together to play regularly would be a nightmare, not to mention matchmaking for it would be garbage unless the playerbase is absolutely enormous.

Baron 22 56
  • 22 Mar '17
 champton

Because like CSGO, people will split up to complete the objective, rather than just run into each other and have it be over in 3 seconds.

If there are only 5 people per team, this will limit to 1 or 2 people splitting up by themselves. For a team based MELEE game, it makes sense for teams to stick together as much as possible to hold the most advantage. Duels placed across a large map does not seem fun to me, nor does chasing around the one guy that split apart from his team. If there were 10 per team however, splitting 5 and 5 (for example) to complete a strategy makes sense to maximize functionality and competitiveness. If everyone is so set on 5 per team, then I see it odd to use such large maps like the one in the trailer, and makes the use of horses out of proportion (1 horse, 4 foot). I think the key to this compromise is just keeping the player count, and map and objective size proportional.

Knight 289 200
  • 22 Mar '17
 TheUprising

@champton said:

If there are only 5 people per team, this will limit to 1 or 2 people splitting up by themselves. For a team based MELEE game, it makes sense for teams to stick together as much as possible to hold the most advantage. Duels placed across a large map does not seem fun to me, nor does chasing around the one guy that split apart from his team. If there were 10 per team however, splitting 5 and 5 (for example) to complete a strategy makes sense to maximize functionality and competitiveness. If everyone is so set on 5 per team, then I see it odd to use such large maps like the one in the trailer, and makes the use of horses out of proportion (1 horse, 4 foot). I think the key to this compromise is just keeping the player count, and map and objective size proportional.

horses are only for the casual 64 player siege mode, where to get the most kills you just spam E on a catupult and you get to ride a dragon after a 5 player killstreak

Knight 4105 4365
  • 22 Mar '17
 CaptainGaymer

Duels placed across a large map does not seem fun to me

who says that the map will be that big? dont assume all scrims/comp games will take place on the castle map, they could just as well take place on some smaller map we havent seen yet.

Knight 61 86
  • 22 Mar '17
 greyfox

I'd like to see 1v1 in competetive. Everything above like siege should just be "casual fun" imo

Knight 61 86
  • 22 Mar '17
 greyfox

I also would like to see a jousting mode as competitive medieval tournament mode with up to 20 people on one server and you got to joust your way to the top in that tournament.

Knight 219 223
  • 23 Mar '17
 Majoron

I'm not really sure how it's going to play out. I'm a sucker for small teams and tight communication / teamplay, so I like the idea of a timed 5v5 or 6v6 with optional objectives, somewhat like CS:GO, I'm just not sure that it would work with a melée game and the slightly slower pace that comes with it. Also, it's worth noting that CS:GO has asymmetrical gameplay.