Mordhau

Speculation on the Unnamed "Competitive" Game Mode

Knight 289 200
  • 17 Mar '17
 TheUprising

The devs have kept this close to their chest (maybe because it isn't decided yet), so I'm just wondering what it may be. Because LTS is TERRIBLE from a gameplay perspective for solo queue (which will be the majority of players) and the audience.

Though at the same time, the whole "1 life per round" deal doesn't seem like that bad of an idea if based on an objective other than "slaughter each other" like in Counter Strike, especially with the way equipment is set up in MOrdhau. At the start, everyone will have very little gold and runs around in cloth with a single weapon, then later they can get armor or more weapons, and eventually, instead of like getting an AWP in CS, some people can afford full plate and a bow with enough kills and so on.

Or if its not based on a single life, several round, system, I think King of the Hill would create the most tense back and forth scenarios in a melee fighting game, like Overwatch's point capture rounds.

Duchess 6836 9763
  • 17 Mar '17
 Sir Zombie

Siege tho

Knight 289 200
  • 17 Mar '17
 TheUprising

Competitive 32 v 32 siege?

Someone earlier had, instead of King of the Hill, Capture the Fort, same idea but instead of a Hill its a defensible fort.

Knight 1366 1843
  • 17 Mar '17
 Trevz TheCuz

Some sort of competitive seige/skirmish/conquest is what im looking forward to imho.

Duke 180 812
  • 17 Mar '17
 Ser_Thank_You

Unless competitive will be smaller teams I don't think 32v32 King of the hill will be very fun. Seems like there's always going to be at least one from either team in the area

74 16
  • 17 Mar '17
 RazorThreader

Ffa... team stuff

Baron 28 28
  • 17 Mar '17
 Cranberry

competitive will not be 32v32, it would be so hard to field competent teams.

Knight 289 200
  • 17 Mar '17
 TheUprising

Its been said before, team size isn't set yet, but it will likely be around 5-6, because any larger than that and it would be impossible to find teams, they would be more like clan wars or something (which might exist separately).

So competitive siege is out. Closest thing to that in a small scale is capture the fort. I'm torn between that and Team Objective 1-life. Devs have to decide soon because making these maps, especially capture the fort maps, require a lot of time and testing.

Knight 1227 3652
  • 17 Mar '17
 Frise

I've always hoped they took some inspiration from csgo for the competitive mode (not the economy system but the small maps with objectives and alternative ways to complete them) TOs in chivalry were fun but sometimes felt morelike it was just team fight after team fight...

Duke 2264 3998
  • 18 Mar '17
 Huggles

@Frizze said:
I've always hoped they took some inspiration from csgo for the competitive mode (not the economy system but the small maps with objectives and alternative ways to complete them) TOs in chivalry were fun but sometimes felt morelike it was just team fight after team fight...

Well at the end of the day it's about combat skill so it will always feel this way. You can have the worst objective strategy of all time but if your team totally outclasses the other team you will win 9/10 times. It's only when a team is more or less evenly matched that it comes down to strategy, synergy, and mind games.

Knight 256 262
  • 18 Mar '17
 CrimsonKing

@Huggles said:

@Frizze said:

Well at the end of the day it's about combat skill so it will always feel this way. You can have the worst objective strategy of all time but if your team totally outclasses the other team you will win 9/10 times. It's only when a team is more or less evenly matched that it comes down to strategy, synergy, and mind games.

and memes.

Baron 22 56
  • 18 Mar '17
 champton

Does nobody else think competitive matches should probably have more than 5 or 6 players per team? It is weird to me for a medieval battle game to only have that few even in a competitive scene. I think arouns 8-10 would be best. More than that yes and it would start to get unmanageable. But with a designated leader and organization it would work and be more grand and enjoyable. And would allow for more strategy.

Knight 1227 3652
  • 18 Mar '17
 Frise

@champton said:
Does nobody else think competitive matches should probably have more than 5 or 6 players per team? It is weird to me for a medieval battle game to only have that few even in a competitive scene. I think arouns 8-10 would be best. More than that yes and it would start to get unmanageable. But with a designated leader and organization it would work and be more grand and enjoyable. And would allow for more strategy.

More than 6 and individual skill starts to not matter much. It'd be awesome to see some 16 or 32v32 clan wars like in Planetside 2, but for ranked/competitive play, 5 or 6.

54 68
  • 18 Mar '17
 negocromn

To me the best competitive game type would be arena LTS, team who wins X amount of rounds wins. No objectives, no respawning, it`s the most e-sport like setup I can think of for a game like this. And if the combat is deep enough it should be very fun and entertaining.

Also, 3 queues: 1v1, 2v2 and 5v5.

Baron 22 56
  • 18 Mar '17
 champton

@Frizze said:
More than 6 and individual skill starts to not matter much. It'd be awesome to see some 16 or 32v32 clan wars like in Planetside 2, but for ranked/competitive play, 5 or 6.

Matchmaking I can totally see why more than 6 would be a problem. In the setting of scrims ect., is the individual skill thing a bad thing? Isn't team play the heart of esports? I want the comp scene to be heavily team based. And wouldn't larger teams allow for more strategy and slightly more realistic battle sequences? I understand some of the problems involved. But I just personally see the most potential of competitive play with a few more than 5 or 6 players. No more than 10. Figured discussion wouldn't hurt.

54 68
  • 18 Mar '17
 negocromn

@champton said:

@Frizze said:

Matchmaking I can totally see why more than 6 would be a problem. In the setting of scrims ect., is the individual skill thing a bad thing? Isn't team play the heart of esports? I want the comp scene to be heavily team based. And wouldn't larger teams allow for more strategy and slightly more realistic battle sequences? I understand some of the problems involved. But I just personally see the most potential of competitive play with a few more than 5 or 6 players. No more than 10. Figured discussion wouldn't hurt.

For competitive matches you generally want to have as few players per team as possible (depending on the game mechanics of course) because its easier to setup, you get a lot more games going, its easier to match up people of similar skill, the games are easier to watch and follow, etc.

Plus, most importantly, a competitive game needs to be balanced, and the more people you have playing on each side the harder it gets to do it.

Knight 1366 1843
  • 18 Mar '17
 Trevz TheCuz

5v5 skirmish with bots

Knight 289 200
  • 22 Mar '17
 TheUprising

@negocromn said:
To me the best competitive game type would be arena LTS, team who wins X amount of rounds wins. No objectives, no respawning, it`s the most e-sport like setup I can think of for a game like this. And if the combat is deep enough it should be very fun and entertaining.

Also, 3 queues: 1v1, 2v2 and 5v5.

LTS was terrible in Chivalry, no pacing, and basically whoever loses 1 player loses the entire fight. 2v2 queue sounds useless. I think the devs are aiming for something like multi-phase TO single-life, so if you beat one phase, everyone respawns in the next phase.

1627 2894
  • 22 Mar '17
 Ranten

The unnamed mode was featured in the trailer. There was around 16-20 bots on that map. Horses are exclusive to that mode which would be strange for a 5v5 mode, also would be if there were only 10 players on such a huge map.

Honetly, I'd rather have competitive 32v32 "clan" wars, not your cliched 5v5 with small objectives. You guys are taking Mordhau for a CSGO with swords, it's a different game that needs different means of competition.

Knight 4105 4365
  • 22 Mar '17
 CaptainGaymer

haha instead of having comp modes based on individual skill lets just add the max amount of people xd