Mordhau

Do we need a crack down on offensive behaviour? POLL

62 46
  • 24 Feb
 λze
Do you get offended by what you see in game and in forums?
Should more be done to prevent offensive language in-game?

This stems from the controversial forum thread "post your kniggas" but also brings up the issue of the use of racism in game which occurs quite frequently. Let us know any further thoughts you might have on the situation. Do yoe get offended? Do you not really care? Do you think something needs to be done?

2 9
  • 24 Feb
 Lappi

Even if I don't partake in the language or 'racism' (which is usually just poor comedy or trying to take the piss), I prefer a wild west over a controlled enviroment. As the amount of times I've chuckled at such usage greatly outnumbers true cases of racism. Also their is a mute function.

TL;DR - Don't care, just a word. Get over it, or mute the player.

192 248
  • 24 Feb
 Quenquent

I'm more annoyed by the racism more than anything, but I think being offended by it is normal. But I understand why the devs didn't put more efforts to combat this (people bypassing the filter, false-positives).

Even if you can enable the chat filter on your side, I wouldn't be against people getting kicked/banned for using the -er gamer word too much.

Knight 626 2065
  • 24 Feb
 LuxCandidus

It is not difficult to predict the outcome of the poll when you are asking a community notorious for its offensive remarks whether measures should be taken against offensive remarks.

Sellsword 254 309
1635 1210
  • 24 Feb
 esturias

In short: I don't get offended by the toxicity in this game, but something needs to be done about it. Accepting or even fuelling that kind of behaviour is unacceptable. It can go from just annoying, e.g. if you get a random ragekid in the chat, up to plain toxic, when people spew nothing but hate.
Those people need to learn that their asocial and dumb behaviour can have consequences.
Those people need to grow up. If they can't do that on their own, why not helping them a bit?

62 46
  • 24 Feb
 λze

@esturias said:
In short: I don't get offended by the toxicity in this game, but something needs to be done about it. Accepting or even fuelling that kind of behaviour is unacceptable. It can go from just annoying, e.g. if you get a random ragekid in the chat, up to plain toxic, when people spew nothing but hate.
Those people need to learn that their asocial and dumb behaviour can have consequences.
Those people need to grow up. If they can't do that on their own, why not helping them a bit?

Likewise. It is more annoying than anything. toxic behaviour, be it racist or not just isnt pleasant and fuels others to also join the toxic wagon. it would be nice if people just helped eachother out sometimes, or gave some credit when credit is due here and there.

1951 2034

No offense, but that's like asking a bunch of junkies whether they think there should be harsher punishments for substance abuse. There might be good reasons against it. But you won't find them here.

120 62
  • 25 Feb
 DEADSY

I just run with the chat box off. Very liberating. Why would you want to read what anyone has to say in today's socially engineered environment in an in game chat?

What I find offensive to my ears is the constant yelling. I want a universal mute button for voice emote.

62 46
  • 25 Feb
 λze

comment removed

62 46
  • 25 Feb
 λze

@SWSeriousMike said:
No offense, but that's like asking a bunch of junkies whether they think there should be harsher punishments for substance abuse. There might be good reasons against it. But you won't find them here.

Its really more to highlight that the devs are doing literally nothing, not even the most basic prevention to help the situation.

248 226
  • 25 Feb
 Cracksmith

@λze said:
Its really more to highlight that the devs are doing literally nothing, not even the most basic prevention to help the situation.

You’re saying that like its a bad thing. A laissez-faire approach to moderation is what strengthens the player base. Its like economics, basically. Except instead of an unregulated free market leading to financial prosperity, it just means less people with fascistic tendencies who want to control what is and isn’t okay to say like yourself.

1635 1210
  • 25 Feb
 esturias

@DEADSY said:
I just run with the chat box off. Very liberating. Why would you want to read what anyone has to say in today's socially engineered environment in an in game chat?

Well. There are still enough normal and mature people around that you can communicate with.
Two weeks ago, I killed someone with my bow in midair after he kicked me down a tower. Instead of raging at me, he told me how awesome that was.
We started talking and obviously some dumb kids joined to spread their hate. Nevertheless we continued talking and after that match he even invited me to play with him (first time again since August last year, I think). Was really fun to play that way and exactly that is one major thing that makes gaming for me.

What I find offensive to my ears is the constant yelling. I want a universal mute button for voice emote.

That would be nice, indeed. But I'd prefer a simple cooldown to prevent the annoying spam and a ban on spambots.

62 46
  • 25 Feb
 λze

@Cracksmith said:

@λze said:

You’re saying that like its a bad thing. A laissez-faire approach to moderation is what strengthens the player base. Its like economics, basically. Except instead of an unregulated free market leading to financial prosperity, it just means less people with fascistic tendencies who want to control what is and isn’t okay to say like yourself.

i wasnt really deictating whats ok or not. but i think we can all agree that repeatly saying the N word for no reason in chat isnt particularly funny, and is absolutely not ok. With your little analogy you would be saying that slavery is ok as long as someone benefited from it.

1951 2034

@Cracksmith said:

Permitting something is also saying "what is and isn't okay". In the end it's the decision of the server owners to decide what is and isn't okay. So with your straw man you just called every host, the devs included, a fascist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

248 226

@λze said:
i wasnt really deictating [sic] whats ok or not. but i think we can all agree that repeatly saying the N word for no reason in chat isnt particularly funny,

Humor is subjective, and you called for action against a term/attitude that you deemed offensive to others.

and is absolutely not ok. With your little analogy you would be saying that slavery is ok as long as someone benefited from it.

Any analogy can be misconstrued, especially in a topic such as race.

@SWSeriousMike said:
Permitting something is also saying "what is and isn't okay". In the end it's the decision of the server owners to decide what is and isn't okay.

The guy suggested the devs crackdown on offensive material on official servers and forums, not the server owners.

So with your straw man you just called every host, the devs included, a fascist.

Would totalitarian or bureaucrat work better for you? Nothing i said implied everyone was a fascist, i meant that those that think being in control what people can or cannot say hold a dangerously totalitarian viewpoint.

Don’t Tread On Me.

1635 1210
  • 26 Feb
 esturias

Why do people who defend toxicity always try to construct those absurdly twisted arguments around totalitarian control and such, when this is just about the toxicity in an onlinegame, meaning about immature kids/people saying nasty things?

Like Mike said, it's rather pointless to discuss this here, but maybe people could tell me what exactly would be bad about a basic level of effort against toxicity - like you have it in many other games out there.

Count 352 358

Here we go again... and for the record, try popular games where if you don’t follow the meta how your team will react (beginner or not).

Come back and tell us how we are the worst.

192 248
  • 26 Feb
 Quenquent

I've been playing Team Fortress 2's Mann Vs Machine mode for years, infamous for being absolutely toxic.

I saw people being insulted, humiliated, and kicked without mercy. Playing off-meta was pretty much putting a target on your forehead (unless you ask them why going off-meta is a problem, and that's when you realize that the main reason metas are popular is because "monkey see, monkey do").

Never have I seen the gamer word, nor the r-word for that matter. There was a lot of "idiot", "moron", and more recently "ape" ; hell, there are people working on a bot to make a dynamic kicklist for players they don't like with "harassment modules".

I agree toxicity is something that cannot be stopped, especially in a game like Mordhau. But I wouldn't be against a system that punish people for say the -er gamer word.

1951 2034

@Cracksmith said:
Would totalitarian or bureaucrat work better for you? Nothing i said implied everyone was a fascist, i meant that those that think being in control what people can or cannot say hold a dangerously totalitarian viewpoint.

Don’t Tread On Me.

You come up with political terms but this is a philosophical matter. There always will be rules. The respawn time is a rule. The damage charts are rules. Perks are rules. A game or rather every cooperative effort consists of rules - otherwise it would just be pure imagination in your own head. Even the physical world obeys rules.

Imposing rules isn't automatically totalitarian, fascist or whatever. It's just a necessity. Putting radical labels on everyone who disagrees with you is not helpful. Here we have a simple disagreement about what is acceptable and what isn't. You wouldn't call someone over the use of the Oxford comma a fascist. So why try to politicize this?

In the official server rules you can see that "Use of derogatory, offensive terms on official servers is not allowed".
"In the English language, the word nigger is an ethnic slur typically directed at black people, especially black Americans."

Nobody is forcing you to play on the official servers. And that the rules aren't well enforced doesn't necessarily mean that it is permissible to break them.