Mordhau

When are you going to revert shield nerf?

1 3
  • 24 Feb
 Ulreth

Seriously, instead of just making a timed garbage you could improve kicks to counter them, or make shields drain stamina while holding for too long, or any other idea that users suggested, now it is completely useless unless you are in a chokepoint in frontline and have time to activate stance.

Only in a video game would people not use shields, this is not even historically accurate, just take a look at real medieval wars, i really don't understand what devs tried to do, maybe they just blindly took the opinion of few ballerina users or feint spammers, that would explain lots of things, make an effort and come to a solution without ruining the game, don't fail and die like chivalry again...

Sellsword 17 20
  • 24 Feb
 Cody1750

Hopefully never.

105 83
  • 25 Feb
 xXLuxXx

Why do shields tilt people so much? They are in a pretty good place honestly... they serve a purpose, a purpose that isnt overpowering or very hard to counter. They are good for new players who want to improve their stam negotiation and more importantly PARRY radius. Whats the problem?

Knight 125 167

@xXLuxXx said:
Whats the problem?

You said it yourself. Shield is now a meme weapon or a noob training tool. Shield builds should be comparable and able to compete with 2-hander builds. And no point of starting to ramble about how "nobody wants to see/play shield". Many people do, aside of a small, loud group of people who want to keep it nerfed, in order to continue 2-hander-dominant playstyle uninterrupted.

270 170

not to mention that maul is now thee meta weapon. i said this would happen the second shields were busted and people laughed at me.
take a glance at the forum now.. people crying that maul is too strong.. guess who is laughing now.
btw i stopped playing when shields were nerfed and when i found out 3rd person was removed from competitive and suddenly considered "cheese" it reminded me why.

trash dev team, hands down.

2017 2104

@ZugZugNeverEnds said:
take a glance at the forum now.. people crying that maul is too strong.. guess who is laughing now.

To be fair: One can also laugh about the maul being too strong. No crying necessary.

270 170

@SWSeriousMike said:

@ZugZugNeverEnds said:

To be fair: One can also laugh about the maul being too strong. No crying necessary.

so what next? maul gets nerfed to the point of uselessness too? and what comes after that? and then after that? and so on, and so on...

2017 2104

I think you misunderstood me. I agree that the maul is just a tool for griefing. I'm just not angry or sad about it. I think it's funny, that they have no idea what to do about it.

Or maybe I misunderstood you. :-/

270 170

@SWSeriousMike said:
I think you misunderstood me. I agree that the maul is just a tool for griefing. I'm just not angry or sad about it. I think it's funny, that they have no idea what to do about it.

Or maybe I misunderstood you. :-/

the obvious fix to maul being as strong (OP) as it is, is to revert the shield obliterating nerf they did.
once that happens, maul will fall back into a relatively balanced state.

but that will not happen for 2 reasons

1. dev loves maul
  2. dev who loves maul hates being countered by shield
1697 1291
  • 14 Apr
 esturias

@ZugZugNeverEnds said:
the obvious fix to maul being as strong (OP) as it is, is to revert the shield obliterating nerf they did.

That's one of the dumbest things I ever read here. Do I need to explain why?

874 375

Damn esturias, you gotta stop being so honest. While you're at it, explain please.

82 84

guys who don't know how the game works should stop commenting about things they don't understand. shields were never a counter to maul, in fact it was the opposite, the big stam drain on the maul has always countered and disarmed shields. and even if shields somehow countered maul, you're going with the dumbass idea the devs did when they buffed the short sword in order to "nerf" the cleaver. that's not how this works, buffing one weapon does NOT nerf another, NERFING THE WEAPON itself nerfs the weapon. since a lot of the people who post in these forums are new players who like using shields, I'm gonna explain it to you as simply as I can: this game is supposed to be a competitive game and shields have NO part in the competitive part. They had held block in the begining is so that casuals can play with shields. you're not gonna see 1 good player who respects himself playing with a shield. I agree that shields have a very weird place in the game right now where they're both trash and OP (in experienced hands) at the same time and thats why they've always been forbidden in comp mode. it doesn't matter that shields were meta in the real medieval times, this is a video game about being skilled with swords. using a shield is no skill, its boring af, only newbies use it and only newbies complain about it in forums.

874 375

@^--^ Maximus ^--^ said:
shields have a very weird place in the game right now where they're both trash and OP (in experienced hands) at the same time and thats why they've always been forbidden in comp mode. it doesn't matter that shields were meta in the real medieval times, this is a video game about being skilled with swords. using a shield is no skill, its boring af, only newbies use it and only newbies complain about it in forums.

This is rather a game about being skilled with AHK macros and coding I suppose.
You should stop commenting if you don't understand how forums work. Also you should stop with the cocaine or whatever you're doing that makes you think you're somehow part of the "31337" because you never use shield or bows. You're just another meta slave to me, running longsword or messer. I'm sure there are plenty of custom servers for you and the other "sword people", go there and stop commenting in the forums if you only know about sword fighting and nothing else THANKS.

2017 2104

@^--^ Maximus ^--^ said:
this game is supposed to be a competitive game

Is it?

199 263
  • 14 Apr
 Quenquent

I really have troubles seeing the shield "nerf". For me, they have been reworked into a more teamfight-oriented tool and a small buff to 1vX (and so does parry-shields).

OId shield simply negated most of the games mechanics. What's the point of feints, morphs or drags against someone that will always parry ? The only solution was kicks. It sucked for both the guy fighting the shield and the shield user, when you either have to kick the shield or just look for kicks. Add kick-stuns on top of it and you get punished for doing your job as a shield user. The other way to beat shield was fighting the stamina war, and the stamina war was never fun.

I honestly think shields are in a good position now. Would like to see a better stam negation so that it doesn't "nerf" stam negation of most one-handers, the ability to go out of shield wall with R and the ability to change weapons in shield mode (with, why not, a point cost increase) and shields will be in a really good position.

5 3

@Quenquent said:
I really have troubles seeing the shield "nerf". For me, they have been reworked into a more teamfight-oriented tool and a small buff to 1vX (and so does parry-shields).

OId shield simply negated most of the games mechanics. What's the point of feints, morphs or drags against someone that will always parry ? The only solution was kicks. It sucked for both the guy fighting the shield and the shield user, when you either have to kick the shield or just look for kicks. Add kick-stuns on top of it and you get punished for doing your job as a shield user. The other way to beat shield was fighting the stamina war, and the stamina war was never fun.

I honestly think shields are in a good position now. Would like to see a better stam negation so that it doesn't "nerf" stam negation of most one-handers, the ability to go out of shield wall with R and the ability to change weapons in shield mode (with, why not, a point cost increase) and shields will be in a really good position.

I agree. The only other changes I'd like to see would be speeding up entering/exiting shield wall and maybe slightly buffing movement speed.

105 83
  • 14 Apr
 xXLuxXx

@^--^ Maximus ^--^ said:
guys who don't know how the game works should stop commenting about things they don't understand.

Yet here you are..

270 170

@esturias said:

@ZugZugNeverEnds said:

That's one of the dumbest things I ever read here. Do I need to explain why?

do make an attempt please. being a (former) avid shield user myself, specifically to deal with maul users, i have noticed how much stronger maul has become since shields got fucked.. now that nobody except those who deliberately wants to nerf their character uses shields, mauls have free reign to run around racking up kills without even landing killing blows.

1697 1291
  • 14 Apr
 esturias

@ZugZugNeverEnds said:
do make an attempt please.

The maul is a such a balancebreaking padding weapon because its balancing is bad. To fix that, you need to fix its balancing. That's how balancing works.
You suggest to balance a broken weapon by changing the balance of another item that has absolutely nothing to do with the broken one. That's not how balance works. That only works if you change the balance of EVERY item/weapon around the broken one.
Very simple question: How does your change to sields help if I don't use shields and meet the average maulboy in a match? Where is your restored balance? Judging by your logic, giving bows more damage would also balance Mauls, because Maulboys would be easier to kill.

So, again: What you said makes absolutely zero sense.

2017 2104

@esturias said:
The maul is a such a balancebreaking padding weapon because its balancing is bad. To fix that, you need to fix its balancing. That's how balancing works.
You suggest to balance a broken weapon by changing the balance of another item that has absolutely nothing to do with the broken one. That's not how balance works. That only works if you change the balance of EVERY item/weapon around the broken one.
Very simple question: How does your change to sields help if I don't use shields and meet the average maulboy in a match? Where is your restored balance? Judging by your logic, giving bows more damage would also balance Mauls, because Maulboys would be easier to kill.

So, again: What you said makes absolutely zero sense.

Total balance: 10