Mordhau

Castello delayed?

183 125

Has Triternion slowed and delayed their content releases intentionally?

How is Castello still not finished when it was almost done last we heard about it?

Seems like Triternion is delaying the release so they can do more coke and hookers and then when we yell at them about no content updates in ages they'll release it.

Castello is probably on standby waiting to be released IMO.
I mean it was almost done like 4-5 months ago, what gives?

213 84
  • 9 Feb
 CarnifeX

in reddit the rumor was spread that it would take another month.. 8|

Knight 269 709
  • 9 Feb
 Iodine

Triternion as far as I'm aware take LODing and map optimisation extremely seriously. I recall them implementing custom versions of point lights and such early in alpha, and hearing devs talk about the techniques they use to squeeze as much performance out of maps as possible.

So most likely what happened was, the map is complete, but now they're optimising the shit out of every single asset in it to an extreme and probably unnecessary degree.

57 67

as far as i know the map is supposed to be coming out this next patch even though they've been working on it for at least 8 months now. Lets hope it doesn't get delayed, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does get delayed.

1399 1054
  • 9 Feb
 esturias

@CarnifeX said:
in reddit the rumor was spread that it would take another month.. 8|

As long as longer developement time means that we get a GOOD map once, I'd even wait longer.

Knight 240 629

They need transparency. This has been an issue ever since I found out about this game in 2016. All they need to do is to tell us how progress is going, and give us an estimate on when the update is due. When Jax was made community manager I got a false sense of hope, a hope that they'd start sharing pictures, gifs, time estimates and so on with the community. But nope. Jax has done a good job, don't get me wrong, but all the info we seem to be getting are harvested from some random discord chat or Jax's twitch stream, not on the actual forum where info is supposed to be written. I found out through a mordhau youtuber, who had watched Jax stream, that Jax had said one sentence containing something like "the update is due soon, like maybe 2 weeks, maybe 4 weeks, idk". Like wtf, that's not how we want to be given information and extremely vague at that. We wouldn't be mad that you're taking a long time with the updates if you only informed us and explained to us. Rant over, peace

57 67

@Mr_Obliviousness said:
They need transparency. This has been an issue ever since I found out about this game in 2016. All they need to do is to tell us how progress is going, and give us an estimate on when the update is due. When Jax was made community manager I got a false sense of hope, a hope that they'd start sharing pictures, gifs, time estimates and so on with the community. But nope. Jax has done a good job, don't get me wrong, but all the info we seem to be getting are harvested from some random discord chat or Jax's twitch stream, not on the actual forum where info is supposed to be written. I found out through a mordhau youtuber, who had watched Jax stream, that Jax had said one sentence containing something like "the update is due soon, like maybe 2 weeks, maybe 4 weeks, idk". Like wtf, that's not how we want to be given information and extremely vague at that. We wouldn't be mad that you're taking a long time with the updates if you only informed us and explained to us. Rant over, peace

I found out about the next patch the exact same way, by the youtube knghts, and I agree with you, there should be more communication

177 263

@Iodine said:
Triternion as far as I'm aware take LODing and map optimisation extremely seriously.

• Every single decorative rock in Contraband that you shouldn't be able to reach has collision enabled.
  • Even random out of bounds trees in Contraband that aren't even visible from the playable area have collision enabled. Not even simple box collision but complex (per poly) collision. Same for the rocks.
  • Everything in Tourney has collision enabled. From the high balconies you can only reach via exploits to the small crates in ammo rooms that you'll get permanently stuck in, forcing you to suicide.
  • Speaking of stuck spots, Taiga and Grad are particularly full of them.
  • When Invasion was first released performance was near unplayable because every single burning building had permanent GPU-heavy fire emitters that would always be rendered, even from outer space. This meant that in Grad's final objective as defenders you would spawn facing the burning village and have your FPS cut in half.
  • Virtually not a single mesh in Camp has a defined max draw distance. You can glitch through the ground, fall below the map for 10 minutes at full-speed and still clearly see all of its landmarks.
  • Last time I checked the collapsing cave particle emitters in Taiga could be seen from all the way over at the bird's-eye spawn selection screen (clipping through the cave ceiling).
677 287

I think they're trying to avoid some of the mistakes they made in feitoria, pointed out by the feedbacks.
Like the famous floating stairs and other stuck spots. That doesn't mean the new map will be perfect but avoiding mistakes you've done in the past is an important part of learning process for this dev team.

57 67

Agreed, and as far as I know Castello is supposed to be the biggest map yet, even surpassing Feitoria which means a lot of collision enabling and bug/glitch fixing. If that's the case i prefer if the map was delayed if it meant that we'd get a better map than how feitoria was.

213 84
  • 10 Feb
 CarnifeX

@Shitscrubber64 said:

• Speaking of stuck spots, Taiga and Grad are particularly full of them.

count among them aswell: MPeak, Feitoria, etc.pp - ..and if we count all the stumble spots to that, we would end up calling out nearly all maps
(
those Spots where you get stuck but able to free yourself)

183 125

How is it then that map creators churned out tonnes of large scale custom maps with castles and the whole shebang in weeks singlehandedly (no team, solo modders) and its taken Triternion 8 months to not even finish one map?

213 84
  • 10 Feb
 CarnifeX

@LetsFightíngLöve said:
How is it then that map creators churned out tonnes of large scale custom maps with castles and the whole shebang in weeks singlehandedly (no team, solo modders) and its taken Triternion 8 months to not even finish one map?

nobody knows

1823 1910

The answer to that question is so obvious:

wtf. so I guess devs don't have bills to pay huh? Nor families to provide for? If you are so rich why don't you become a dev or an investor?
45 42
  • 11 Feb
 λze

@SWSeriousMike said:

wtf. so I guess devs don't have bills to pay huh? Nor families to provide for? If you are so rich why don't you become a dev or an investor?

That's kind of stupid. the devs aren't gods, they work a normal day like everyone else. even a 6 hour day from a team of people would produce a map faster than this. if they were that rich they can just hire more people and still get it done. simple as that.

Knight 2287 4133
  • 11 Feb
 Runagate

They at least at some point had more than enough money to invest into more developers, but the reason they never have is because apparently (and this is just what they have said) they want to keep the team small because according to them a larger team would be too difficult to manage as they work remotely.

But I really don't know what would be so difficult in having someone do mapping for example.

Count 334 344

@Runagate said:
They at least at some point had more than enough money to invest into more developers, but the reason they never have is because apparently (and this is just what they have said) they want to keep the team small because according to them a larger team would be too difficult to manage as they work remotely.

But I really don't know what would be so difficult in having someone do mapping for example.

That’s what they did for Chivalry, especially the one who made the famous Stonehills and got scammed by Crapbanner

213 84
  • 11 Feb
 CarnifeX

i really like the way how Giants(Farming Simulator) work with modders/mappers and maps/mods

they test them and make them availlable to download in their official modhub
and they sometimes have to test way, way, way more mods in just one week than mordhau actually generally have
every mapper get 1 euro for like 100 downloads, every modder 0,50 cents for 100 downloads
shouldnt be that expensive with max. 5k players actually

So once the SDK is done, they could accept mods, test them and take them over into the game
integrate an option to turn mods off, so everybody who doesnt like mods, are able to deactivate them visually as example
or whatever, there are so many ways how this game could get more content fast
but well, first we need the o-sdk

1823 1910

@λze said:

@SWSeriousMike said:

That's kind of stupid. the devs aren't gods, they work a normal day like everyone else. even a 6 hour day from a team of people would produce a map faster than this. if they were that rich they can just hire more people and still get it done. simple as that.

I'm just relaying the answer I got back then when I asked a similar question. You say that the reply is stupid and doesn't really answer the question. I say it's my favorite unhinged copypasta.

166 210
  • 11 Feb
 Quenquent

@LetsFightíngLöve said:

I'm not spending a lot of time in modded servers, but from what I know, most of them are Deathmatch/TDM/SKM/Duel maps. There's still no detailed FL/Invasion community map that reach the level of Feitoria in term of size/details. Additionally, I don't think a lot of optimization is done on community maps.

I'm sure the community have made a lot of beautiful maps, but I don't think any have actual gameplay/gamemode logic in them.