Mordhau

Patch #16 Changelog!

Duke 5526 13171
  • 10 Jan
 Jax — Community Manager

This patch contains various bug fixes, improvements and balance changes, including things such as the ability to jump kick, use kicks with more equipment, adjustments for held shield mode and the ability to bind the console key in options.
Please remember to rebind your console key in options, since a lot of you have used .ini edits before to bind it!

Changelog

Gameplay

Removed Christmas stuff
Added fortifications to Grad commander part
Enabled texture streaming amortization options by default to improve performance. Will significantly reduce stutters on some (older) computers

Combat

Reverted backparry change from previous patch fixing the attacks going through parry in cases where enemies were 90 degrees to the side from the player
Fixed attacks going through parry on active parry and chambers where enemies were 90 degrees to the side from the player (same as above, but was in place since release)
Improved stab windup animations to see transition to release easier (does not show up for self)
Third person Feint animations are now slightly more snappy/responsive
Global feint lockout increased 25ms, this will make feint punishing easier
Parry recovery increased 25ms
Chambering will now disarm like a parry when on low stamina, meaning you can no longer chamber at 1 stamina without being disarmed
Disabled team hitstop for strikes (Experimental)
Morph to kick 15ms faster
Added jump kicks
Throwables and ranged equipment can now kick
Throwables can now be used on ladders
Shield wall now has a longer raising/lowering delay to prevent abuse in duels
Players can now riposte out of the shield wall at any time, even without blocking
Shield wall stab riposte animation now comes from the same side, making it a bit harder to read
Shield wall shields now have 1 less stamina negation, but 25ms more parry window (50ms more total compared to regular parry)
Shield model now acts as blocking collider during ripostes, buffing their ability to 1vX
Shield wall turncap more lax
Shield wall movement speed increased to 66% (from 50%)
Couch no longer disarms
Removed previous CombatTest changes, CombatTest now has experimental movement on it. Added SKM variant.

Weapons & Equipment

Executioner sword turncaps nerfed. Now more strict
Zweihander main mode stab windup slowed down 25ms
Bastard Sword 1H strike release reduced 25ms
Greatsword main mode stab release reduced 25ms
Bardiche main mode now 15cm longer
Maul stamina drain on strike increased by 1
Estoc main mode stab combo 50ms faster
Poleaxe all windups 25ms faster
Shortspear stab windup 25ms faster
Shortspear miss recoveries reduced to 400ms
Shortspear throw now 250ms faster
Increased blunt slowdown on hit slightly (Tier 1 12.5 -> 15%, Tier 2 25% -> 30%)
Increased Recurve Bow damage against Tier 2 and Tier 3 chest (4HTK instead of 5HTK)
Improved Bow 1p firing animations, making it more snappy/satisfying to shoot
Adjusted longbow sway slightly
Buffed Crossbow and Longbow projectile speed very slightly
Throwing knifes now throw faster
Throwing knife can now be equipped slightly faster
Throwing Axe can now be thrown twice in a row faster
Throwing Axe proj speed slightly faster
Tier 2 Chest now has the same speed as Tier 1 Chest, making it a straight upgrade
Slowed down shield throws and reduced their damage
Deliverable despawn time from 20s to 30s
Throwable two handed rock now throws faster
Throwable shields now get thrown with LMB if nothing is in the right hand.
Fixed pavise planting not working on LMB anymore
Toolbox structures now build faster across the board

Visuals & Misc

Fixed a bug where invasion actually counted 'tickets' for deaths and could cause loss if a team died more than 1000 times
Fixed the case where ladders would be climbed while holding because someone got onto it
Tightened collision on footsoldier wagon and king wagon
Fixed wonky skinning on splinted arms
Improved fall damage camera shake
Console key can now be bound in options
Feitoria gate can’t interrupt open but can interrupt closing

21 12

Disabled team hitstop for strikes (Experimental) i think this is an awful experimental change because currently there are a lot of new players and TK in frontline/invasion is veyr common as most new players only swing and this would make it even worse, so lets hope I'm wrong or that you guys would change this next patch or patch fix

6 4
  • 11 Jan
 Chimz

While this patch has done some pretty good improvements and made some good changes, there's still 1 problem that remains: The Red Commander in the Grad Invasion is still too vulnerable. Adding Fortifications was a nice touch, but still after playing 3 rounds today and losing every time like before (just a bit slower), I must say that we still need more changes made to Grad.

The Commander is just too much out in the open. The melee players who get to him are no problem and just part of the game. But the number of ranged people that hit him always goes up because everyone knows he has no cover. Enemy players climb the Red tower, climb over tall rocks and even on the Wood Logs infront of the Commander area and hit him repetitively. And it's just so hard to counter them when trying to protect the Commander. For the tower, there's usually more than 1 guy up there so you'll get beaten from when you are on the ladder to when you get kicked off the tower.
For the guys on the rocks its the same. And for the guys on the wood logs, everytime you try to go after them they just jump down from back. Then 5 seconds later they are back up. And it doesn't help that you can't climb the logs from the Red Team's side. You just keep sliding off.

Basically we need a wall, structure or giant rock or anything that could protect the Commander from ranged weapons, from AT LEAST 1 side. He's got such a small space that he can't take cover behind trees and he's constantly walking in the fire the enemy has thrown. The space he's allowed to walk in is so small and he gets bombarded from every direction but behind (since that is the Red spawn) and there's just no way to counter this. Even when we Engineers place walls for him to take cover behind, they always end up being burned down in seconds because of the enemy's fire bombs.

Please consider tweaking and balancing this map for the Red team. The only part that we can ever stop the blue team is the part where they have to get the cart through the middle gates and only because it's a choke point. Any point before or after that is either too easy for the blue team or they have too much time to get it done. 8 times out of 10 the blue teams wins. It NEEDS to be balanced.

Thank you for reading

21 12

@Chimz said:
While this patch has done some pretty good improvements and made some good changes, there's still 1 problem that remains: The Red Commander in the Grad Invasion is still too vulnerable. Adding Fortifications was a nice touch, but still after playing 3 rounds today and losing every time like before (just a bit slower), I must say that we still need more changes made to Grad.

The Commander is just too much out in the open. The melee players who get to him are no problem and just part of the game. But the number of ranged people that hit him always goes up because everyone knows he has no cover. Enemy players climb the Red tower, climb over tall rocks and even on the Wood Logs infront of the Commander area and hit him repetitively. And it's just so hard to counter them when trying to protect the Commander. For the tower, there's usually more than 1 guy up there so you'll get beaten from when you are on the ladder to when you get kicked off the tower.
For the guys on the rocks its the same. And for the guys on the wood logs, everytime you try to go after them they just jump down from back. Then 5 seconds later they are back up. And it doesn't help that you can't climb the logs from the Red Team's side. You just keep sliding off.

Basically we need a wall, structure or giant rock or anything that could protect the Commander from ranged weapons, from AT LEAST 1 side. He's got such a small space that he can't take cover behind trees and he's constantly walking in the fire the enemy has thrown. The space he's allowed to walk in is so small and he gets bombarded from every direction but behind (since that is the Red spawn) and there's just no way to counter this. Even when we Engineers place walls for him to take cover behind, they always end up being burned down in seconds because of the enemy's fire bombs.

Please consider tweaking and balancing this map for the Red team. The only part that we can ever stop the blue team is the part where they have to get the cart through the middle gates and only because it's a choke point. Any point before or after that is either too easy for the blue team or they have too much time to get it done. 8 times out of 10 the blue teams wins. It NEEDS to be balanced.

Thank you for reading

I agree with you a 100% on that. the least the devs can do is give more space to the commander so that he isn't stuck in 1 space. Its unfair that blue has 1 commander and warden in a CASTLE while red has 1 commander in an open forest with no place to go. Grad is my fav map but it has always been blue friendly, and still continues to be

1247 1912

The devs failed to mention they added a hand gun, called the 1411, which is prolly a typo, meant to be the 1911.

I have no screenshots but its a hand gun that looks like a poorly imitated colt 1911, a dev was playing with it in a public server today, kinda funny. You can parry its bullets I heard some people saying in chat.

9 4
  • 11 Jan
 yedrellow

This patch messed up show friendly icons for me. I am not sure if it is just me, but nothing I have tried seems to let me see friendly icons at all.

1247 1912

Also, I've had a problem the last two patches where I'll be walking and it will suddenly be like I walked into a wall, cant move forward and moving left/right won't lemme past the invisible barrier. A second later it will go away and I can walk past. Sometimes it will appear and reappear over and over again almost like rubber band lag BUT

This isn't rubber band lag, it just won't let me walk or sprint past this invisible barrier. decent ping and I can input everything else fine, which wouldn't happen in actual lag. Never happens when I'm on horse, only on foot.

1226 893
  • 11 Jan
 esturias

Without testing, these things are really nice to see:

• Throwables and ranged equipment can now kick: Long overdue!
  • Shield model now acts as blocking collider during ripostes, buffing their ability to 1vX: Good idea.
  • Slowed down shield throws and reduced their damage: Poor Frisbee-Fred. But good change of course.
  • Throwable two handed rock now throws faster: No Styrofoam rocks anymore? Nice.
  • Fixed the case where ladders would be climbed while holding because someone got onto it: That was annoying as hell. Now we only need proper animations at the end of the ladders instead of teleporting players...

Questionable changes:

• Disabled team hitstop for strikes (Experimental): Yeah. Bad idea. That forced people to watch out for teammates, even if they don't care for damaging teammates. Now they can just spam attacks left and right without caring.
1747 1788

Can the shield wall mode be bound to a dedicated key? Having shield and weapon mode switch on the same key is something I would expect from a casual console game port - not from Mordhau.

1247 1912

I actually prefer 1vX with the new experimental swing-through-allies change. No misparries because some idiot body blocked an attack while winding up his own.

But it can be a huge pain when your team mates try to slash through you and can look bad. It's also pretty cheesy when someone uses their team mate to hide their attackand it stabs through them into you.

I would be content with no hit stop on allies staying but I know alot of people dislike it for the obvious reasons.

IF HIT STOP RETURNS I think it should cause flinch on both allies so that they lose initiative altogether and it would be rarer for accidentally hitting team mates to act as a feint. This way 1vX isn't so painful and spammers have hit stop and flinch their team mates who might otherwise have benefited from a hit stopped attack acting as a feint.

1226 893
  • 11 Jan
 esturias

@SWSeriousMike said:
Can the shield wall mode be bound to a dedicated key? Having shield and weapon mode switch on the same key is something I would expect from a casual console game port - not from Mordhau.

I desperately looked for that in the changelog, as I thought that this was an obvious issue that needs to get fixed for better playability...
Really expected a fix for that or better configuration in general.

5 4
  • 11 Jan
 thecamguy

I agree, team damage is a real problem right now. But I'd rather someone accidentally hit me in the back and still manage to hit the target, thus flinching or forcing a parry, as opposed to me getting hit in the back and the front. I get that you think it will encourage poor behaviour, in the form of repeatedly striking through allies to hit enemies, but in those cases you should probably be using the votekick function.

It would be better to attack the source of why people teamkill so much. I think its partly caused by FoV being smaller than the area we can strike e.g. winding up a horizontal while backpeddling and you move past someone, or same situation but they sprint up beside you, meaning you have no visual feedback until its too late. The other part of the problem is that player movement is generally faster/more impactful than player swing manipulation. If an ally steps into the path of your swing, it is harder for you to drag it away than it is for them to step out of your reach. I find it easiest to simply move out of the way of incoming team hits, but with low FoV it is hard to do this consistently.

43 41
  • 11 Jan
 123mop

The shield changes are great, blocking things with the shield model in riposte feel very cool. Entering a fight, even a duel in shield wall mode feels great for using the riposte as initiative to deflect their attack.

What I'd love to see is the ability to enter held shield mode on a successful parry, and for the animation for the normal slow entry to be more clear as to when the shield wall effect starts. Obviously a separate keybind would be great as well -more customizable keyboards is always good.

Why are toolboxes being changed to build faster, with no changes to destroying the buildings or reduction to repairing? This one seems like a big mistake. A builder could already throw down constructions faster than someone could land a hit on all of them, so they could build a wall directly in front of you and you couldn't do anything about it. Same to repairing, where they can sit and repair their barricades and you need two or more people with wrecker to break them down. Sometimes that isn't even possible. Sitting around hitting wooden walls to occupy a builder and allow someone else to break a wooden wall elsewhere is not engaging or fun gameplay.

1 0
  • 11 Jan
 PumA

im curious how much internal testing you guys do before putting it into the live server

because Disabled team hitstop for strikes is obviously a bad idea

117 115
  • 11 Jan
 The Bird

The Bird finds this swing-through feature to be an excellent improvement. The Bird no longer has to worry about unintelligent lifeforms charging headlong in front of his attacks and vulturing his kills. This is good.

Bird

GetPekt

FeatherofApproval

Mercenary 1159 2102

@Lionheart Chevalier said:
The devs failed to mention they added a hand gun, called the 1411, which is prolly a typo, meant to be the 1911.

I have no screenshots but its a hand gun that looks like a poorly imitated colt 1911, a dev was playing with it in a public server today, kinda funny. You can parry its bullets I heard some people saying in chat.

The 1411 name is not a typo but a joke, since '1911' refers to the year in which the gun was made, but it is several centuries after Mordhau's timeline.

Any admin can access it by going into console and typing 'ParryThis' without the quotations. May be without caps, not sure as I haven't tested it myself.

Knight 5259 7075

Some nice changes in a good direction, good job devs. There's a couple of Reddit posts of that gun that had me laughing hard.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mordhau/comments/emvpw6/okay_this_guy_literally_pulled_out_a_gun_in_a/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

34 130
  • 11 Jan
 Earraigh

aka another patch without the Round Viking Shield

1247 1912
43 41
  • 11 Jan
 123mop

So far I'm in favor of disabled team hitstop. It makes 1vXing easier and is net neutral for friendlies since they won't charge in to block your attacks either.

Kicking for throwables and ranged weapons is a great no brainer change. I'd love to see the same added for bandages and health packs. In a similar vein I'd like to see fire pots and smoke pots be holdable in one hand with a shield in the other like javelins and throwing knives.