Mordhau

Intermittent Ping Spikes

1 0
  • 7 Jan
 Veljex

Around the time of the Christmas update I bought a new PC. Since playing on the new PC I'm experiencing intermittent lag spikes where my ping will reach 600+ and the game will become unplayably delayed and "teleporty". I'm also getting the "High Ping" and "Disconnected" messages in the right corner of the game but I never lose connection and the ping settles down to around 20-30 after 2 minutes or so. The ping spikes are around 5-10 minutes apart.

I sometimes stream films on my 2nd monitor which doesn't have a degraded performance when the ping spikes happen and I've also experienced the issue multiple times with nothing running except the game to rule out bandwidth issues. Given I didn't have this issue on my old PC I feel it's safe to discount my ISP. I'm experiencing this on both full 64 man and the smaller servers - always official servers.

Looking around, I can only find a few people reporting this - both on the steam forums and these forums dating back to May - but with no solutions. Given the timing, it's hard to tell if this is related to the Christmas update or if there is an issue with my new PC. I would appreciate help with ideas getting this resolved.

Sellsword 13 15
  • 10 Jan
 SHoGUN

I've been getting them too. Although I think it's connected with the Aussie fires as I'm in NZ trying to connect to them.

2018 2106

@Veljex said:
I sometimes stream films on my 2nd monitor which doesn't have a degraded performance when the ping spikes happen and I've also experienced the issue multiple times with nothing running except the game to rule out bandwidth issues. Given I didn't have this issue on my old PC I feel it's safe to discount my ISP. I'm experiencing this on both full 64 man and the smaller servers - always official servers.

Video streams only have soft real time requirements. The data is buffered and small fluctuations won't be noticeable. For an online game this is not possible. For those games you can only try to predict what the actions of the player are before they arrived. This is usually limited to a linear continuation of the movement and is sometimes noticeable as rubber banding.

To reduce the ping spikes, you can either instruct your router to strictly prioritize packages from and for Mordhau or you can just stop your video stream which only serves as a distraction anyway.

Occasionally the server will experience bandwidth problems and there is nothing you can do on your end.

Also Windows Update might just do what it wants in the background and cause some of these spikes. With newer hardware there might be more driver updates etc. These spikes can be reduced by using a real OS instead of presumptuous malware from a company that treats it's customers like children.