Damage
no / T1 / T2 / T3
head: 100 / 100 / 100 / 100
body: 100 / 100 / 100 / 75
legs: 100 / 100 / 75 / 50

reloade speed: 10 sec
amunition: 10

rifle has knockback if you are not crouching while shooting

if someone throws fire bomb at you or shoots your black powder bag with anothetr rifle than your black powder bag explodes and you take 100 damage and teammates around take 50 damage

every time you shoot there is 5% chance rifle will explode dealing you 100 damage.

but hey you can one hit kill from across the map

1226 893
  • 29 Dec '19
 esturias

You once again skipped all the thinking before the posting.

Count 274 314

Try Counter Strike and the AWP instead.
Or Deadly Warrior.

129 57
  • 29 Dec '19
 Skrytociemny

@esturias said:

this time i actualy was thinking but i dont overthink cuz its just an idea i had few other ideas for rifle that i didnt include cuz they where to much

and if you say its bad say what is wrong and include what you think would be better thats how discusion works

117 115
  • 29 Dec '19
 The Bird

The Bird finds this idea...disturbing...

Bird

DisturbedBird

GetPekt

1226 893
  • 29 Dec '19
 esturias

@Skrytociemny said:
and if you say its bad say what is wrong and include what you think would be better thats how discusion works

1. You didn't think about the more than obvious balance issues.
  2. You didn't check for already existing threads about this, where everything got discussed already.
  3. People most definitely won't bother discussing with you as long as you insist in writing like an elementary school dropout. (Good job with all those paragraphs, though. You are improving.)
Count 274 314

@Skrytociemny said:

@esturias said:

this time i actualy was thinking but i dont overthink cuz its just an idea i had few other ideas for rifle that i didnt include cuz they where to much

Simple, it would make archery useless.
Everybody would use it and you’ll go from a melee focused game to a bad counter strike.

Nothing attractive about that.

Knight 264 702
  • 29 Dec '19
 Iodine

every time you shoot there is 5% chance rifle will explode dealing you 100 damage.

oh my god lmfaooo

10 5
  • 29 Dec '19
 Magpie

If you're going to do a firearm ingame, think purely in gameplay terms. What does it add to the game in terms of flavor and function? Is it fun to play with and against?

So far as I can figure, most suggestions make it either shite to play with, against, and even a balanced suggestion is too similar to the crossbow.

44 76
  • list item> @Magpie said:

If you're going to do a firearm ingame, think purely in gameplay terms. What does it add to the game in terms of flavor and function? Is it fun to play with and against?

So far as I can figure, most suggestions make it either shite to play with, against, and even a balanced suggestion is too similar to the crossbow.

As the resident gun shill I'll take a crack at it.

The role of an archer is threefold:

• support the melee fight by softening up the enemy/assists
  • clean up wounded/stragglers retreating from a melee
  • stop enemy archers from doing the same

Archers are tolerable to fight because they aren't hitscan; i.e. you can anticipate their attack and react accordingly. Only in rare circumstances can they instakill (e.g. unarmored headshots) and most have a low enough rate of fire that bumrushing them is an effective counter. They are also especially difficult to use at long range due to arrow speed and gravity, discouraging camping a mile from the fight. Therefore a gun must follow similar rules to these to be balanced.

The gun would revolve around two mechanics: ignition delay and bullet falloff. For the purposes of this model we'll assume the gun is a matchlock arquebus circa the late 15th century.

When you fire, the match'd fall into the pan and the gun would start loudly hissing and smoking for a few seconds, during which you wouldn't be able to cancel the attack. This'd give enough time for someone in effective range to hear it and either scramble for cover, prepare to parry, or if they're close enough stove your head in. Just before firing the pitch of the hiss would change, giving some timing element to start parrying the shot.

The bullet, at point blank, would do respectable damage: in the ballpark of 50-70, with this being basically consistent across armor tiers. However, as soon as it leaves the barrel, damage and speed quickly decrease with flight time. You need to account for bullet drop at range, and even if you hit with a spent, slow-moving bullet, it's unlikely to do much damage. To further discourage snipers we'll give it a goodly passive reload (4-8 seconds) and a limited ammo complement of 8 shots.

In result- the gun creates an aggressive, mid-range playstyle focused on good timing and positioning. Long-range shooting is difficult, as with the bows, and short-ranged fire leaves you exposed if you start the ignition too late- but with skilled use it'd be a reliable heavyweight ranged weapon complementing the javelin and longbow.

81 25
  • 4 Jan
 lordlemon

Please don't add guns, I like sword games

1452 4050

@RifleInfantry said:

Archers are tolerable to fight because they aren't hitscan; i.e. you can anticipate their attack and react accordingly. Only in rare circumstances can they instakill (e.g. unarmored headshots) and most have a low enough rate of fire that bumrushing them is an effective counter. They are also especially difficult to use at long range due to arrow speed and gravity, discouraging camping a mile from the fight. Therefore a gun must follow similar rules to these to be balanced.

The gun would revolve around two mechanics: ignition delay and bullet falloff. For the purposes of this model we'll assume the gun is a matchlock arquebus circa the late 15th century.

When you fire, the match'd fall into the pan and the gun would start loudly hissing and smoking for a few seconds, during which you wouldn't be able to cancel the attack. This'd give enough time for someone in effective range to hear it and either scramble for cover, prepare to parry, or if they're close enough stove your head in. Just before firing the pitch of the hiss would change, giving some timing element to start parrying the shot.

The bullet, at point blank, would do respectable damage: in the ballpark of 50-70, with this being basically consistent across armor tiers. However, as soon as it leaves the barrel, damage and speed quickly decrease with flight time. You need to account for bullet drop at range, and even if you hit with a spent, slow-moving bullet, it's unlikely to do much damage. To further discourage snipers we'll give it a goodly passive reload (4-8 seconds) and a limited ammo complement of 8 shots.

In result- the gun creates an aggressive, mid-range playstyle focused on good timing and positioning. Long-range shooting is difficult, as with the bows, and short-ranged fire leaves you exposed if you start the ignition too late- but with skilled use it'd be a reliable heavyweight ranged weapon complementing the javelin and longbow.

I do like powder weapons they have a nice look to them (id never want them in game though) but I gotta say this is one well thought out post
bucket knight.png

Knight 246 1082
  • 4 Jan
 Corsario

No guns please. There are plenty of shooter games out there. Plus if archers are quite hateful, I can already hear the balance complaints against gunpowder weapons...

Knight 5259 7075

@RifleInfantry said:

this is probably the most balanced suggestion of a gun the forum ever saw, and still, the salt will burst through several dimentions.
With a projectile that does above 50 damage, think about it, a tap with any common frontline/invasion weapon after or before the shot and that guy is dead. The long reload and low ammo count are not equalizers, not with such a whallop of a shot. Plus parrying bullets sounds completely silly, and the projectile speed would look super silly too if not way higher than current bows, neting in a hitscan close quarter ranged weapon.

44 76

@Humble Staff said:
this is probably the most balanced suggestion of a gun the forum ever saw, and still, the salt will burst through several dimentions.
With a projectile that does above 50 damage, think about it, a tap with any common frontline/invasion weapon after or before the shot and that guy is dead. The long reload and low ammo count are not equalizers, not with such a whallop of a shot. Plus parrying bullets sounds completely silly, and the projectile speed would look super silly too if not way higher than current bows, neting in a hitscan close quarter ranged weapon.

Bullet falloff means a mid range shot is going to be lucky to hit 50. 30-50 seems like an accurate estimate which I feel is fair given the faster shots.

The projectile speed would high enough in close quarters to be practically hitscan, yes, but that's why the ignition hiss changes pitch just before the shot; it's a signal to parry with much the same timing as grunting on a swing.

Parrying bullets is no weirder than parrying arrows and daggers parrying zweihanders; it's all gameplay abstractions. It could inflict more significant stamina drain, perhaps.

Knight 5259 7075

Well, any sort of hitscan ranged weapon, no matter how inconvenient, is a no no. And if the damage isn't higher than the other bows to acount for the way longer reload time, delay in the shots, and low ammo count, the thing will be a meaningless addition.

Parrying/slashing arrows from the air is at least humanly possible, while tremendously difficult and impractical and though you would be better off trying something else, like dodging, it can be done.

Same situation with dagger parrying bigger weapons.

Are these cases immersion breaking? Depends on who you ask, since Mordhau can't be completely realistic due to needing to be a fun game, it behaves more like a grounded, epic low fantasy game, where you can rutinely pull off stuff that is super fucking hard though possible irl.
Parrying bullets though... While what's immersion breaking is slightly subjective, I think 90% of the people that come to these forums would think that that's crossing a line, which has been discussed before everytime firearms are brought to debate.

Edit: I guess i should clarify that I personally think that early firearms like handgonnes would be a historically accurate adition and would further complete the medieval battlefield picture, but i'm not sure i would like to deal with them everyday in vanilla Mordhau. The short answer to every firearm suggestion thread is always "wait for mods" because probably that's the healthier way to have them, as an option you can jump into from time to time, because they honestly (and pretty much objectively) wouldn't be fair nor fun to play against as a melee player. And depending on the kind of firearm added archers would feel lamer too. Why do you think the mortar is frowned upon? Not because muh inmersion, it's because how stupidly braindead easy it is to kill with it, imagine a personal, portable version that is at least half as effective as that.

Mercenary 1159 2102

We can barely tolerate bows ok, just stop requesting guns.

126 43
  • 6 Jan
 CazzyVR

@Humble Staff said:
Well, any sort of hitscan ranged weapon, no matter how inconvenient, is a no no. And if the damage isn't higher than the other bows to acount for the way longer reload time, delay in the shots, and low ammo count, the thing will be a meaningless addition.

Parrying/slashing arrows from the air is at least humanly possible, while tremendously difficult and impractical and though you would be better off trying something else, like dodging, it can be done.

Same situation with dagger parrying bigger weapons.

Are these cases immersion breaking? Depends on who you ask, since Mordhau can't be completely realistic due to needing to be a fun game, it behaves more like a grounded, epic low fantasy game, where you can rutinely pull off stuff that is super fucking hard though possible irl.
Parrying bullets though... While what's immersion breaking is slightly subjective, I think 90% of the people that come to these forums would think that that's crossing a line, which has been discussed before everytime firearms are brought to debate.

Edit: I guess i should clarify that I personally think that early firearms like handgonnes would be a historically accurate adition and would further complete the medieval battlefield picture, but i'm not sure i would like to deal with them everyday in vanilla Mordhau. The short answer to every firearm suggestion thread is always "wait for mods" because probably that's the healthier way to have them, as an option you can jump into from time to time, because they honestly (and pretty much objectively) wouldn't be fair nor fun to play against as a melee player. And depending on the kind of firearm added archers would feel lamer too. Why do you think the mortar is frowned upon? Not because muh inmersion, it's because how stupidly braindead easy it is to kill with it, imagine a personal, portable version that is at least half as effective as that.

Nice to see more stuff on Skall coming in. Might I also suggest some stuff from Shadiversity. he ahs done many Videos from Castle Designs and even Armors. One Video that taught me a lot is the Video on Female Plate "Boob Armor" (where the Female's Breast Shape is formed into the Plate Mail). I was expecting him to rip it to shreds as I like many others thought it was a Stupid (sexy though) and dangerous Design. But turns out it is not only quite Feesable, but is actually might be more Effective then just having a Basic Curve. So technically if the Devs ever get around to the Female Models and the Plate Armor has Boob Armor it (while very... VERY Uncommon in those Times) it technically wouldn't be out of the Realms of Impossibility and Practicality.

Shadiversity: Female Boob Armor - Reality Versus Fantasy

Shadiversity: Is Female Boob Plate Armor Dangerous?

199 207
  • 6 Jan
 Atlas-D

Should have poor range, something like 100 feet.

Should not instant kill medium armor thats ridiculous.

Should also have a decently long fuse time before firing like 3 seconds.

Should have a cone of fire.

1226 893
  • 6 Jan
 esturias

Long story short: Should not exist in this game.