Mordhau

Why did you make shields pointless now?

14 5
  • 25 Dec '19
 NICKALTMAN

I really don't understand why did you make shields pointless now?
It seems to me that the creators decided to cut an important part of medieval weaponry out of the game because there were players who disliked shields. Because that means an opponent is less skilled in their mind. I really can't believe this decision.
Why did you become such conformist? This is suppose to be a medieval battlefield. Shields are a part of that. Bring them back.

I had a such high opinion about the creators. I am so disappointed.

Count 31 53
  • 25 Dec '19
 Jaw

They were never removed?

1403 1059
  • 26 Dec '19
 esturias

There are multiple threads about it already, why didn't you read and post in those?

14 5
  • 26 Dec '19
 NICKALTMAN

@Jaw said:
They were never removed?

Yes Jaw you dont like the shileds. They are not removed but they dont work as shields anymore. They work as any weapon that is blocking. It does not make sense at all. And you are first on all threads supporting the change. It is obvious you dont like them.

1403 1059
  • 26 Dec '19
 esturias

@NICKALTMAN said:

Such a high opinion - as long as things were going your way. When shields were a balancing issue and needed a rework, your kind kept silent. Because... who cares about balance as long as the imbalances support my playstyle, right?
But as soon as the devs dare to do more than changing a few numbers by 0,005 points, chaos breaks loose and all those kiddos crawl out of their holes.
It's ridiculous. And also quite scary to see how little they understand about the game they play for many 100 hours in total...

58 28
  • 26 Dec '19
 NumidianPikeman

@NICKALTMAN said:

@Jaw said:
They were never removed?

Yes Jaw you dont like the shileds. They are not removed but they dont work as shields anymore. They work as any weapon that is blocking. It does not make sense at all. And you are first on all threads supporting the change. It is obvious you dont like them.

I dare say he's a troll.
Ad hominem attacks and detrimental logic to development of any game.
Im going to assume hes the Devil may cry console player type. Just my opinion.

1403 1059
  • 26 Dec '19
 esturias

@NumidianPikeman said:
I dare say he's a troll.

Do you say that because he disagrees or because he called you a troll earlier, when you were still ragespamming like a dumb brat?

Ad hominem attacks and detrimental logic to development of any game.

Examples?
And did you Google "Ad Hominem" by now?

Im going to assume hes the Devil may cry console player type. Just my opinion.

Even if he was... how would that matter? I used to play that, too, when I was younger. What now?

218 178
  • 26 Dec '19
 Cracksmith

The shield user cries out in pain as he strikes you.

1827 1917
  • 26 Dec '19
 SWSeriousMike

@NICKALTMAN said:
I really don't understand why did you make shields pointless now?
It seems to me that the creators decided to cut an important part of medieval weaponry out of the game because there were players who disliked shields. Because that means an opponent is less skilled in their mind. I really can't believe this decision.
Why did you become such conformist? This is suppose to be a medieval battlefield. Shields are a part of that. Bring them back.

"Don't be conformist! Fuckin' do what I say!"

14 5
  • 27 Dec '19
 NICKALTMAN

I played with and without the shield. Different knights depending on the situation. Now we we are striped the option to play with the shield because the way the shield works now it is not a shield. It is the same as blocking with a weapon. I dislike when options are taken away. That is just sad.

4 0
  • 29 Dec '19
 scienceisgod

so few helicopters are happy , thats fine.

i just want to ask how much % of ppl used shields that they deserve this nerf. it's not like 95% population used them and hurted poor 2h users constantly.

1827 1917
  • 29 Dec '19
 SWSeriousMike

Why do you call it a nerf?

4 0
  • 29 Dec '19
 scienceisgod

@SWSeriousMike said:

ok , lets call it buff then

63 55
  • 29 Dec '19
 Kashi

@scienceisgod said:

@SWSeriousMike said:

ok , lets call it buff then

It's more of a rework really

46 9
  • 29 Dec '19
 StrykerMontgomery

Mount and blade definitely did shields well in terms of balancing them. I have no clue how old shields worked.

Those supporting the shield changes should make arguments of how large shields are still useful in comparison to small shields. If shieldwall is some group tactic niche thing only, then we should change preset classes to reflect that. The only premade class with shield is the apparently useless kyte shield. I had a hard time justifying my friend to get this game over mount and blade because he already hates training just to be able to play a game when he rather train in real life. (Which he does) its why we often just go crossbow squad in M&B.

This game is still fun and i would not ask it to be made unfun for those enjoying it, though I may ask: is there a current point to large shields and if not what changes can we make not make protector premade kit a trap class?

1322 2009

It's actually, all in all, a shield nerf. I think we'll see some shield buffs next patch to compensate them.

Shield nerf because it took away the crutch some people relied on and gave it no benefits except the ability to block kicks and block all incoming projectiles from the front when in the alt mode. These aren't really buffs because everything can block kicks now and no one really uses the alt mode... it's very situational and hasn't come in handy at least for me anyways.

Also, I'm told they give a parry extension but it's hardly noticeable and certainly wouldn't be of any use to noobs, only pros cheesing with BS and using it to negate what few microseconds of high level dragging they had to worry about anyways.

ALSO, I am yet to see active parry occur with shield this patch. Was active parry (accidentally or intentionally) removed from shields? I just know I get hit alot when I felt I should be protected by active parry... and I don't find this to be the case when I'm using my longsword or whatever.

Shields should get a stamina buff next patch and hopefully some kinda main mode buff for 1vX.... as you're better off using two hander anyways.

63 55
  • 29 Dec '19
 Kashi

@Lionheart Chevalier said:
It's actually, all in all, a shield nerf. I think we'll see some shield buffs next patch to compensate them.

Shield nerf because it took away the crutch some people relied on and gave it no benefits except the ability to block kicks and block all incoming projectiles from the front when in the alt mode. These aren't really buffs because everything can block kicks now and no one really uses the alt mode... it's very situational and hasn't come in handy at least for me anyways.

Also, I'm told they give a parry extension but it's hardly noticeable and certainly wouldn't be of any use to noobs, only pros cheesing with BS and using it to negate what few microseconds of high level dragging they had to worry about anyways.

ALSO, I am yet to see active parry occur with shield this patch. Was active parry (accidentally or intentionally) removed from shields? I just know I get hit alot when I felt I should be protected by active parry... and I don't find this to be the case when I'm using my longsword or whatever.

Shields should get a stamina buff next patch and hopefully some kinda main mode buff for 1vX.... as you're better off using two hander anyways.

Jax mentioned on stream the other day that shields will get a buff next patch iirc

A quote from him "they will become a 1vx monster"

1322 2009

@Kashi said:

@Lionheart Chevalier said:

Jax mentioned on stream the other day that shields will get a buff next patch iirc

A quote from him "they will become a 1vx monster"

Beautiful news! I hope this is true.

8 4
  • 31 Dec '19
 Slyder73

@scienceisgod said:
so few helicopters are happy , thats fine.

i just want to ask how much % of ppl used shields that they deserve this nerf. it's not like 95% population used them and hurted poor 2h users constantly.

Other than the posts from players who simple don't like shields, I have yet to see any decent argument as to why they were a problem in the first place?
I'm level 93, almost entirely a shield user. The change has screwed them up for us who have developed the high level shield skills. The interesting and dynamic variety of gameplay has also been reduced. Not being able to use shields as they are intended seems to have made the game even more into a 2 handed swing simulator. Not that two handed is bad, to each their own, but the a variety of combat types should be expected and that has been reduced.

218 178
  • 31 Dec '19
 Cracksmith

Here’s the argument in simplified terms for you:

• Shields take ordinarily short engagements and prolong them to unnecessary lengths

• Held block negates feints, morphs, and other more nuanced forms of gameplay

• Shields encourage a playstyle that is detrimental to the player’s improvement

• Shields are just plain un-fun to fight against

• And something related to two handed users, even though none of us have said a word about using two handed weapons