Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Game doesn't completely quit and loadouts are not saving

5 0
  • 14 Dec '19
 heatmymeat

Whenever I exit the game, steam still says Mordhau's running and I have to go into the task manager to end the process. On top of that, any changes to loadouts and/or any new ones created are not saved on the next launch of the game. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game on the same drive and other drives multiple times as well as uninstalling and reinstalling steam with no success.

874 375
  • 15 Dec '19
 PC_Principal

That's a new one. Can you tell us a bit more about potential software you're using that could be interfering? Any in-game overlays, music players, antivirus, browser?

• Try validating game files if you haven't already.
  • What other processes are running?
  • There is a debug file in the mordhau steam folder, which seems rather useless though on my end. Try making a quote or code field and tell us what it says.
  • Also, try disabling steam cloud sync for mordhau. If you sync your mordhau files, or any other game, it might take some time to shut down (you're uploading) or not shut down at all.
  • Also make sure your OS, graphics and other drivers are up to date and none of your antivirus programs or the windows firewall is asking for access or won't let you upload.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing you can do but give more random information and try random things.
To me, it looks like something prevents you from syncing your files with the mordhau database. I don't know if steam cloud is active by default for mordhau or if they have their own cloud system for saving loadouts. Good luck, I hope something helps.

5 0
  • 15 Dec '19
 heatmymeat

I'll try having discord and spotify closed. Other than that there's not much else that's in the background. Nothing should be blocking Mordhau. It's a bizarre problem and I'm not sure when it first started, but it has been affecting me for a while now. Everything is updated. Turning off cloud sync has no effect at least so far. I'll try validating files. But since I've been reinstalling the game numerously, I suspect that that will have little success.

874 375
  • 15 Dec '19
 PC_Principal

Someone also pointed out in another thread you should run steam as admin...that guy had "VAC time out" error.
I know this doesn't relate to your problem, it' s bizarre indeed and I hope you or the devs can fix it somehow.
Next question, did you install any mods or tried editing files?

It still sounds to me like it wouldn't let you sync files with a given server, either steam cloud or mordhau's own database. The other Ideas I posted are just trial and error. I believe the best chance to a fix is somehow making that sync happen.
I had similar problems in Fallout 4, the game wouldn't close until steam cloud updated and the upload wouldn't start for some weird reason or take several minutes. (Slow connection combined with old hard drive lagging / bottleneck)
I have a 50k connection now, steam cloud is done within several seconds, also bought a new HDD a while ago.

What is your internet connection speed? Could it be that you didn't wait long enough for steam cloud to sync, therefore your loadouts aren't saved, because you hit the game with task manager, before it's able to send its file?
Could it be, that Mordhau asked you for permission to send files to the database server, but you either said no accidentally, or the antivirus / firewall chose by itself, that it was an unsafe connection? Check if your antivirus and firewall (also your router software) might be blocking it. Sorry for bringing this up again but this is one of the more likely scenarios.

Need to turn Steam Cloud back on for that to work.
How old is your Hard Drive and do you have Mordhau on SSD?

In Mordhau I had crashes when I used the steam overlay during loading or tabbed out. Happens with other games occasionally aswell.

EDIT: I also had interference from Battle.net (it would tab me out of games sometimes when someone sent me a message) so I always close battle.net when playing on steam now. Maybe similar interference exists with other game launchers (origin?)

If you made sure it's not a problem on your end try contacting a moderator directly (PM) and ask for tech support / further advice. Tell them about what you've tried before and your connection speed, OS, Antivirus Software, ...

I hope something helpful is among the many approaches I told you now.

5 0
  • 16 Dec '19
 heatmymeat

Thanks for the replies. I have 1 gigabit download speed so I doubt it's an issue in that department. I would have definitely noticed a dialogue box if I had gotten one regarding permission. I can check antivirus and firewall again but those didn't have anything preventing mordhau when I checked last time. I haven't noticed a difference having battle.net open or closed but I'll give that another shot. The game is on my SSD and I've tried reinstalling on both that and my HDD several times. I do agree it does seem that my game's unable to sync with the main servers and therefore not saving loadouts. The game not quitting I would agree is probably related to it trying to do these procedures and is being stalled.

2021 2108
  • 16 Dec '19
 SWSeriousMike

Is the file C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Mordhau\Saved\Config\WindowsClient\Game.ini
read-only/write-protected on your system?

5 0
  • 16 Dec '19
 heatmymeat

The file doesn't seem to be read-only.

874 375
  • 20 Dec '19
 PC_Principal

Contact a Moderator in the forums or discord and ask for tech support. They might know a fix or tell the devs about your problem. Also you might have more information that's important for fixing the issue.

5 0
  • 27 Apr
 heatmymeat

If anyone else has this issue, the game still has this issue after numerous reinstalls and also on different computers on different networks. Seems to still be a syncing error and causes the game to still hang after quitting. Going into the task manager is necessary in order to end the task by force. Issue started happening in October 2019 and since then only once has the game synced up.

Fortunately the only thing that seems to not save are the settings and loadouts so a workaround may be possible but way more effort than to re-edit your loadouts every time you open the game.

Moderators haven't responded with anything that hasn't been stated here (almost copy and pasted from PC_Principal) after several months of messaging them privately and on discord (received only one response in that period). Hopefully they will have some good news at some point. And to anyone else who's dealing with this, if you decide to spend time searching for an answer please comment here because it's been fruitless and wasteful in my venturing.