Mordhau

Patch #14 and incoming hotfixes

Duke 5502 13139
  • 28 Nov
 Jax — Community Manager

Hi everyone! This latest patch has added quite a bit to the game, but unfortunately we've run into some problems that weren't apparent in our internal testing. Please be patient as we roll out additional updates to fix performance, blurry textures and other issues. These require a rebuild of each map, and take up to 4 days or so per level - the team is busy rebuilding these maps, and we'll be rolling out hotfixes as each map is ready. If you haven't seen the changelogs, read below to see what's new, and once again thank you for your patience!

MORDHAU Patch #14

Combat changes & Optimizations

This patch includes a large number of optimizations intended to improve overall FPS and reduce stuttering, especially during combat and on large player counts, as well as reduce load times. Also included are combat changes aimed at differentiating existing weapons more and at addressing overall balance. Finally, Feitoria has had its layout revised to make the ending more climactic.

Gameplay

Substantial CPU optimizations across the board to improve overall FPS and remove stutters and hitches during gameplay, especially on larger player counts
Optimized and improved loading times
Workaround for server information update error
Reworked Feitoria Invasion layout
Disabled dodging with barrels
Changed how deliverables work, it is now possible to drop them and pick them up (for attackers), and defenders can hold interact to destroy them
Disabled climbing on oil cauldron, ammobox, rock spawn, rock basket
Time to decline objective participation from 6s to 4s
Fixed a case where dying on ladder in Horde wouldn’t remember your equipment
BR/HRD Ladders on Grad now raise-/droppable
King-type objectives (Invasion) are now invulnerable until the first player could've possessed them (prevents rushing to take advantage of AI)
Traps and pavises no longer allowed to be placed on destroyables (which when destroyed would cause them to float)

Combat

Parry/Chamber box is now bigger - now significantly wider horizontally, fixing cases of attacks going through parries. Now always covers the legs and feet vertically, this fixes the broken toe stabs and makes it much easier to deal with overhead drags to the legs. - also affects shields, although less. Parry knockback reduced slightly
Parry turncap slightly more strict
Global attack turncaps 5% more strict
Trying to change attack direction during a strike release too many times will now get compensated by the game - this fixes (or attempts) the broken drags such as sky drags, waterfalls/wessex etc and promotes playing more “normal”
Attack lunge now decreases gradually after 105cm weapon range (Longsword) - this means that the longest weapons now have the least amount lunge
Miss recovery is now based on weapon length and speed or “weight” - this means that short one handed weapons now have significantly less miss recovery, making them much more nimble and lighter in use. Longer weapons have more, making misses more punishing.
Blunt weapons now have crippling effect - this means that being hit by a blunt weapon now slows you down more when being flinched and causes more camera shake/stun effect - comes in two tiers, strength depending on the attack and weapon. Tier 1 slows down 12.5%, Tier 2 slows down 25%
Billhook now has immobilize on the attacks that pull. This heavily slows down enemies and allows you to control them much easier
Stab knockback is now straight and more predictable
Huntsman now works differently and is no longer based on quiver, now only applies to enemies with a bow/crossbow in hand. This means that when switching to a melee weapon from a ranged weapon, after 4 seconds you no longer take the huntsman bonus damage, allowing archers to go melee without being oneshot from huntsman.
Fixed active parry blocking from behind
Plate leg armor now doubles kick damage
Kicks no longer have headshot damage
Kicks no longer drain stamina
Following up a feint with a stab will now have 50ms more lockout - this should fix most unpunishable stab feints

Weapons & Equipment

1H Axe strike windup 25ms faster
1H Axe recoveries reduced to 400ms
Arming sword strike combo is now slightly faster and has a bit more raw damage
Arming sword recoveries reduced to 400ms
Warhammer recoveries reduced to 400ms
Warhammer main mode strike torso damage increased by 5
Quarterstaff now has 400ms recoveries
Quarterstaff alt mode strike damage now the same as the main mode, strikes now have 75ms faster combo speed
Maul miss recovery to 600ms
Cleaver miss recoveries reduced to 400ms
Cleaver stamina negation nerfed by 1
Cleaver stab no longer flinches
Cleaver now takes 20 stamina to chamber instead of 15
Dagger miss recoveries reduced to 400ms
Dagger now takes 20 stamina to chamber instead of 15
Shortsword miss recoveries reduced to 400ms
Shortsword stamina negation buffed by 3
Shortsword now takes 20 stamina to chamber instead of 15
Falchion miss recoveries reduced to 400ms
Heavy Handaxe miss recoveries reduced to 500ms
Mace strike windup 25ms faster
Mace stab windup 50ms slower
Mace miss recoveries to 600ms
Rapier miss recoveries reduced to 400ms
Bastard sword 1H stamina negation nerfed to 12
Bastard sword 1H stamina on hit reduced to 6
Bastard sword 2H miss recoveries reduced to 400ms
Messer 2H miss recoveries reduced to 550ms
Messer stab windup slowed down 25ms
Shortspear miss recoveries to 600ms
Shortspear can no longer combo
Shortspear point cost reduced to 3
Billhook strike pull distance increased
Longsword stamina negation buffed to 13
Longsword main mode miss recoveries reduced to 550ms
Longsword main mode strike windup 15ms faster
Longsword alt mode miss recoveries reduced to 400ms
Longsword alt mode strike windup 25ms faster
Estoc main mode miss recoveries reduced to 600ms
Estoc main mode stab windup 25ms faster
Chambering with Estoc now costs 10 stamina instead of 15
Estoc alt mode miss recoveries reduced to 400ms
War Axe miss recoveries reduced to 600ms
Poleaxe main mode miss recoveries to 600ms
Poleaxe main mode strike windup 25ms faster
Poleaxe alt mode strike can now repair toolbox buildings
Executioner sword stab headshot bonus damage removed
Executioner sword miss recoveries increased to 800ms
Bardiche main mode miss recoveries to 600ms
Eveningstar alt mode miss recoveries to 600ms
Spear main mode strike miss recovery to 800ms
Spear main mode stab now has more hit knockback
Halberd alt mode miss recoveries increased to 800ms
Greatsword halfswording miss recovery for stab now 400ms, for strike 550ms
Greatsword halfswording stab now has 25ms faster windup and 25ms faster combo
Zweihander main mode stab 25ms slower and slightly stricter turncap
Zweihander halfswording stab now has 25ms faster combo, miss recovery to 400ms, swing miss recovery to 550ms
Quiver no longer has invisible movement debuff
Horde shields no longer slow you down
Raised initial fire damage very slightly
Fire no longer damages buildings outside of the actual fire
Adjusted 2H rock AOE structure damage

Visuals & Misc

Added two long beards and a moustache
Players with the same name will now get a sequential number appended to the name, preventing confusion and abuse
Characters will now start screaming when they're falling for longer than 1s, does not happen if you have the cat perk
Added m.ShowServerInScoreboard (also found in options) which allows to disable the name showing up on scoreboard, useful to prevent stream sniping
Friendly bear traps now show a marker when near
Chain coat now takes metal color
Fixed a dropped ladder mesh on Grad clipping the ground
Fixed floating planks on HRD_Grad
Darkened eyes on slitted kettle and sallet a bit
Fixed motion blur settings on Feitoria
Improved hitmarker sound on torso and leg hits

Sounds

Adjusted hitmarker sound

Patch #14 Hotfix 1 Changelog 26/11/2019

Performance

Fixed Taiga performance drop
Fixed texture streaming issues and performance drop associated with it

Gameplay

Reverted the drag attack compensation change since it had unintended consequences
Added new undercut drag prevention change to address this move specifically. This causes undercut drags that hit late to glance off, same with undercuts that were used to reverse hit enemies.
Kick miss stamina cost reduced to 10
Buffed archery projectile speeds (Recurve bow 5000 -> 5400, Longbow 5600 -> 6000, Crossbow 6100 -> 6500)
Adjusted recurve bow sway significantly
Adjusted longbow sway slightly
Recurve bow now 1 point cheaper

Visuals & Misc

Fixed player name display appearing even when aiming a bit too far away from the player

Knight 5187 6952

Can i get the details behind taking short spear's combo away? I don't get why, me not being a pro and stuff.
Also while i'm glad there's at least some tweaking for the qstaff, those changes only cement even more the "fast as fuck annoying cheese" identity, which i and
many others don't think is good nor fun to play with.
At least now i know what your vision for the weapon is i guess. I wish i could say "i'll wait for mods to come out, someone will make the staff right" but as numbers go down here in SA, that's just a dream. And with all the pressing matters you guys have, i sincerely understand that a new staff weapon is the least of your worries, but come on, you fuck around a lot with all the other weapons, give this cool gimick to one, take this gimmick away from that one (not to talk about some existing aberrations like cleaver). Making a new qstaff would only take a stat tweak, a few points increase and adding some metal shods/caps to the ends of the stick, that's the bare minimum and i doubt it would take much effort at all.

1576 1630

@Humble Staff said:
Can i get the details behind taking short spear's combo away? I don't get why, me not being a pro and stuff.

Probably because there already are two 1h stabby weapons at 4 points. And you can't make the short spear cheaper without nerfing it. ;)

26 23
  • 28 Nov
 123mop

Any word on the dodge bug preventing you from dodging after being parried? I'm really hoping to see that resolved in a hotfix. Waiting a month or whatnot for a full patch just for dodge to be fixed would be quite annoying.

Duke 5502 13139
  • 28 Nov
 Jax — Community Manager

@123mop said:
Any word on the dodge bug preventing you from dodging after being parried? I'm really hoping to see that resolved in a hotfix. Waiting a month or whatnot for a full patch just for dodge to be fixed would be quite annoying.

Yeah we're aware, marox is working on it.

26 23
  • 28 Nov
 123mop

@Jax said:

@123mop said:

Yeah we're aware, marox is working on it.

Big love. Dodge is love, dodge is life.

15 10

"4 days"

Whatever happened to "we're bad with timelines."?

Pretty sure if it takes you 2 days just to post about this issue it's going to take you longer than 4 days to fix.

Knight 601 2021
  • 28 Nov
 LuxCandidus

@yourenemiesfriend said:
"4 days"

Whatever happened to "we're bad with timelines."?

Pretty sure if it takes you 2 days just to post about this issue it's going to take you longer than 4 days to fix.

Careful, Chizzler. You are on your way out. Make a constructive post for a change, or save the space your unhelpful disdain for the developers takes up.

985 705
  • 28 Nov
 esturias

Can't comment on much, but:

• Changes on "Huntsman" perk: Makes it less annoying, but that perk is still horribly stupid in general. Same as "Bloodlust" - remove until you found a proper balance/idea.

• Quiver losing invisible movement nerf: If that really means what I hope it does - nice.

• Projectile speed buff: The buff isn't too big and I apprechiate it, but I'd prefer a bigger buff together with a small damage nerf.

• Trap markers: Finally! Hoping for more of those long overdue fixes in the coming updates...

4 0
  • 28 Nov
 Hessu

Console went away with the patch 14 but I was able to rebind it, in the file that was near the same place where the demos are located (%appdata%...). I struggled with the patch 14 update though, as I tried to update it, it went to a loop. Saying something about validating files. It downloaded / went to 100% and just started all over again. I restarted steam, didn't quite help but I emptied one steam folder (downloads) and had to uninstall and reinstall the game, that got it to working state

Oddly, for me the performance has suffered and I have been thinking that something happened during the whole file validation / reinstall thing.

I usually downloaded everything super fast, the maps, especially in Freitoria I was pretty much always the first there, wondering about many people who said it took ages. After the new update though, it lags / freezer for a second few times on the main menu when I start the game. And now the maps take a very long time to download, especially Freitoria.

Im not complaining on the matter, just reporting it. Found it strange. I still cant quite understand why my game worked so fast before and why the whole validation thing happened and why did it change things. It's bit puzzling as I dont really have that great of a computer, it's goodish but nothing amazing (GTX 1080, i7 8700k & 16GB RAM)

But the game itself seems to run fine, pretty much as it ran before, good fps for the settings I have (pretty high and full hd resolution), it's just the main menu on the beginning and now connecting to the maps / servers

Not that much of a contribution I guess but just wanted to let it known. Been enjoying the game for nearly 200 hours already, definitely a new favorite of mine. Something crazy, awesome, strange or hilarious seem to still happen in every single game, sometimes pretty often in a single game too

1 0
  • 28 Nov
 Oshardt

Are you going to make us download something every day or what????? Three days on a row. This is starting to annoy me A LOT.
After a whole day i just wanna chill a bit and play and i find a new pacth and have to wait every day.
Its really bothering me.

1 8

@Oshardt said:
Are you going to make us download something every day or what????? Three days on a row. This is starting to annoy me A LOT.
After a whole day i just wanna chill a bit and play and i find a new pacth and have to wait every day.
Its really bothering me.

Oh no everything is broko plz patchie
Oh no I have to download patchie

Devs put out fixes, you complain. Devs don't fix, you complain

Get life.

161 62
  • 28 Nov
 CarnifeX

fuck the votekick-system, i'm fed up being kicked by trolls because the majority of the community is dumb as shit..

A "SirLongDick" is griefing by attacking mates & me and nobody kicked him when i started a vote, i said "thx team" and got a votekick from another teammate..

Shit like that is going on since Months now - Congratz for a perfect griefer-tool

btw. the cata change is just another bad joke, isnt it?
with all these changes lately, i think its safe to say, you guys kill the game on purpose
its not explainable anymore that so many things & decisions in this game lacks common sense at its best
except its the goal to kill the playerbase 'on purpose'.

1576 1630

Well, all those servers are expensive.

"We figured if we can shrink the player base we can reduce the monthly server upkeep. That way we can work on the game for the next 12 years rather than just the next 10 years."

Knight 23 56
  • 2 Dec
 Tsuney

Jax,

I never complained on this forum once. but i think, you guys aren't going in the right way with that patch. And i hope the future will made me lie, but the game never felt that heavy before, unreadables accels are now more present than ever, turn cap make 1vx cancerous.

Drags are irrelevant against good players, you need to wessex them all the time even if i could understood that you guys wanted to removed unreadables drags isn't irronical ?

Late ripostes feels more random than before even when i early parrying. I get your point, you don't want this game to turn like another chivalry, but i really think that reducing artificially the skill gap between the players isn't the right solution.

sincerely, a baguette (former) fan.

PS : my bad for broken english.

4 3

Bring back the Wessex/reverse recent patch combat changes

The choice of patching out a specific attack in a category of attacks is arbitrary. If the concern is for “normal combat,” then why not remove waterfalls, massive toe drags, 3rd person cheezing, instant accels, etc?

It is logically inconsistent to target one in a multitude of memes in the name of “normal combat.”

Inb4 cry moar tryhard, we all choose a strain of aids when it comes to this game so be consistent and upvote.

161 62
  • 3 Dec
 CarnifeX

btw. whats the map-guy doing actually, arent there not enough stuck spots on every map to fix?
i bet every map has nearly 30 of them..

4 1

Another thing, as of Hot Fix 3 on Patch #14 my game will keep on crashing for on apparent reason. It'll run for like 5 seconds and then it'll just crash. It only started after downloading a mod to join a server, my computer froze so I restarted it and now Mordhau keeps crashing, can anybody help?

Edit: I restarted my computer and now Mordhau won't run at all! It says it's running but then it'll just stop by itself. Help!

16 8
 Elyon

This patch includes a large number of optimizations intended to improve overall FPS and reduce stuttering, especially during combat and on large player counts

I lost 15 fps on average, I have to drop the graphic quality now, The game is no longer fluid as before.
Mordhau is as ugly as Chivalry.
Please, do not touch your game anymore.
It's a disaster.

Config :
W10 64
RYZEN7 2700X
Corsair 16Go DDR4 C15 3000MHz
MSI RX 5700 8G
SSD Vertex3 / 850Evo
1080p 120 hz

2 3

I really loved this game, but the developers just discouraged me. Updates are always negative with nerfs. With 700+ hours in the game just drags or accel is not enough, you need to use wessex. How could you remove this from the game? There is no more mechanics to be mastered. They made the game simple with ever-decreasing depth. Ridiculous. I consider the time and money I spent on the game lost.

R.I.P Mordhau
2019-2019