Mordhau

Question for the Developers

69 56
  • 27 Nov
 Digganob

Sorry for the long post, TLDR: The game is not nuanced.

I think this game was really fun for a while. It is definitely better than Chivalry.

But I think there’s a huge problem with it, and I’d like to know why you all have made some of the decisions you all did.

I’ve made a thread in the general discussions category, so if you’re a fellow player, please go here: https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/20383/the-parry-hitbox-change-in-patch-14-is-a-bad-idea/?page=1

Now then, on to the topic.

A big problem I’ve realized as I’ve played the many hours I have, and as I’ve discussed it with my friends, is that the game is not very nuanced. There is really only a single aspect of combat that matters; timing.

Now this aspect isn’t very bad I don’t think. It’s good, there are various counters and such. But the problem isn’t the presence of timing as a core gaming concept, it’s the absence of another concept, aiming your attacks.

There are very few situations where it is at all useful to target anything but the midsection. If you aim anywhere else, there is a significant chance they’ll be able to hard counter it. If you aim for the legs, with the newest patch, they can not only jump the attack and hit you, they can effortlessly parry it. Not to mention that it does less damage if you do hit.

The head is not too much better. Currently, it is nearly impossible to hit your opponents head. They can crouch to avoid horizontal attacks, and they can sprint to the side to only be hit in the torso. And I’d say this is the most interesting part of the game.

But if your facing off in a competitive game against any player worth their salt, what’s the point in doing anything but attacks towards the midsection?

Now, to the question, why are parryboxes so large?

The answer isn’t the fact that people are manipulating bugs, as one reason was cited in the newest patch. You can fix the bug without having very large parryboxes.

And the other reason was that attacks such as toe stabs and overhead to leg drags were broken, which, as I’ve said above, they aren’t. They’re easily avoided, even if you can’t jump over them reliably, you can easily crouch and then parry.

I simply see no reason that parryboxes should be so large.

If they were smaller, they would make the game exponentially more nuanced.

If the problem things are too random, then you can, for instance, reduce the turncap of attacks.

If the problem is that it would make the game unbalanced; it wouldn’t. Everyone would be able to perform fancy drags and strategies, but it would be hard. It would mean there is an actual difference in the gameplay between an average player and a pro. But, it would also give the average players a chance against the veterans.

I see no reason why you would choose the path of simplistic gameplay. Sure, it would be hard. But that’s why you took so much time to make the game, wasn’t it? Please, tell me the reason you chose to make the game about timing right clicks, rather than about nuanced melee combat.

I mean no disrespect, I just want answers. I want to see the game become better.

P.S. If you can, could you tell me if modding tools that would allow changes to actual gameplay are going to be added to Mordhau eventually? If your team cannnot or will not make the changes I think they need to, maybe I can myself.

985 705
  • 28 Nov
 esturias

I mean no disrespect, I just want answers.

You won't get any answers here. If you put some effort into it, maybe consider writing a mail. Thought about that, too, but... meh.

69 56
  • 28 Nov
 Digganob

@esturias said:

I mean no disrespect, I just want answers.

You won't get any answers here. If you put some effort into it, maybe consider writing a mail. Thought about that, too, but... meh.

I don't know how I could go about that. Is there a mail address somewhere on the site?

985 705
  • 29 Nov
 esturias

At the very bottom of the site you have a list/line of symbols showing contact options.

69 56
  • 29 Nov
 Digganob

@esturias said:
At the very bottom of the site you have a list/line of symbols showing contact options.

Thanks.

45 26
  • 1 Dec
 Wilkham

This game is a blast, but it's not for everyone. Most of the people bought this game thinking it would be a funny melee slasher type with a cool combat system. But the reality is that it was not so funny melee gameplay with a difficult, unintuitive, clunky unfun combat system.

Most of the people were getting farmed by goods players or just didn't wanted to invest their whole life just to enjoy a game, plus all the chivalry immersion and all of these things were not really here...

Maybe the devs are going into the simplistic just for making casual comeback. Sadly, I think they're too slow and make some bad decision. The casuals will just find another fun game and this will be it.
Anyway, I'm still surprised I didn't quit this game yet and spend like +600H of my whole life just in duel.
The updates are really slow, at the point I literally quickly rediscover the game everytime I log in.