Mordhau

Patch #14 - kick and stamina drain

10 4

greetings

in lack of a official topic so far about this patch:

looks interesting. we will see how it pans out to put emphasis on less miss punishment. combo spam ahoi i guess.

anyways:
"Kicks no longer drain stamina"

this GOTTA be a joke? i cannot think of one sound argument that leads to the conclusion that removing stamina drain from kick might be a good idea. so far you were able to risk to be a sitting immobile duck (at the COST of your own stamina) and just eat the hit, if you misjudged, for the CHANCE of a high reward to get a stamina advantage.

and now you not only are immobile during your extremely short range attack, which costs stamina for you... you now also get NO real reward, if you actually land it.

if anyone can enlighten me, why this might be deemed a good combat design decision, then i would be extremely thankful.

EDIT: short initial testing. indeed no stamina gets drained, if a kick lands on you. shield or not. never been a shield player really. just tried occasionally. but now i will start to put out the shield for sure.
still baffled about this decision.
goes hand in hand with all the miss recovery reductions though. promotes for ppl to rub their nose on the opponents chest and just go combo-spam. guess the devs like to play that way and did eat kicks too often.

cu on the battlefield

Empress 380 891
  • 25 Nov
 Soulcatcher

T3 legs do 20 damage on kick.

I support the change I think.

Countless times losing by stamina wars cause fuckers just gamble kick into me when I wind up a drag.
Saw way too many people kicking past few months.

Yet since T3 does 20 damage, and most meta weapons seem to take 2-3 hits to kill like greatsword to T3, will we see even more kick gombles from thirsty individuals?

I don't know.

1159 1814

IDK bro kicks have always been a part of stamina warfare. I have a hard time understanding the new purpose of a kick except to spam against trapped players who now die faster due to T3 dmg upgrade.

Sounds like they wanted to buff face hugging along with the 1h windup buffs... while nerfing the number 1 nerf against face hugging with a 1h.

Also. How do you beat out a buckler in the stamina warfare department? I always considered kicking to be the real equalizer against buckler if you knew what you were doing and they were face hugging.

We'll have to see in the duelyard.

16 23
  • 26 Nov
 PPeebs

I think it's wonderful. Then again I did make the thread asking for kicks to be nerfed. Didn't expect them to actually listen though - praise be the devs.

As for bucklers, they are not nearly as good anymore since they removed the stam gain on the shield being disarmed. Now its just a minor stam negation bonus.

1576 1630

@gReMLiN1804 said:
EDIT: short initial testing. indeed no stamina gets drained, if a kick lands on you. shield or not. never been a shield player really. just tried occasionally. but now i will start to put out the shield for sure.

Stamina drain was really the least of the shield users' problems when hit with a kick.

As someone who thoroughly dislikes the stamina system, I appreciate the changes.

1159 1814

@SWSeriousMike said:

@gReMLiN1804 said:

Stamina drain was really the least of the shield users' problems when hit with a kick.

As someone who thoroughly dislikes the stamina system, I appreciate the changes.

As someone who has always believed kicks were too powerful against one handers... I am going to have to disagree with the kick changes BECAUSE they came with one hander buffs AND they came with parrybox/shield box buffs. They could have simply reduced stamina cost of a kick along with stamina damage or some such. No need to remove it altogether.

Side hitting shields is even more unreliable now and it was already spotty to begin with. Many one handers could intentionally miss to feint or miss to combo for a free hit, now with combo buffs more will be able to do so to even greater effect. Most one handers need to face hug to cheese and kicking at least kept them in check, even if kicks were too powerful. But now kicking is only a gamble unless someone is cornered... and has no benefits besides damage against naked people... who only get kicked if they're cornered.

I always considered kickstun a useless feature because the stamina damage of kicking, even when the shield was down, was way worse than a free hit and it made shield a total liability in 1vX. Also, kicks are almost always a gamble anyways, especially against someone whose back stepping with their shield up (the idiots had to add invisible kick tracers for Christ's sake.)

Now one handers have a buff, shield/normal parry box buffs, and kicks are gimped.

So how do you fight a shield now? Or any face hugging one hander? You can't reliably use reach/drag to side hit and you can't delay drag a shield... You can't accel a shield. Kick stun is just as spotty as side hitting. And kicking when they face hugged, though very risky, could give you the stamina edge and shut down cheesy spam feints and intentional misses. Now what do you do?

What do you do about cleaver combo spam when you can't really punish misses now nor kick for the edge, nor use reach to side hit? Use a spammy two handers like messer, estoc or war axe, I guess? Messer meta instead of GS/exec/Zwei meta?

I thought Chivalry pros were in charge of game balance. Not messer monkeys.