Mordhau

Should Beartraps Count as Teamkills?

3 0
  • 12 Nov
 Wafflesk9

I recently had a run-in with a teammate who had intentionally place a beartrap behind me. I thought it was an accident but when I stood up he placed another, killing me. He then proceeded to explain that he "needed a sword" and so his sociopathic logic was, "Beartraps don't count as teamkills." So he decided to kill me for a sword. Obviously he could get a sword off the ground, but he exploited the system for his own enjoyment and benefit. He proceeded to utter a racial slur at the end of the match. So I know he's trolling. Does this seem like it could be a bigger issue, or maybe it's just a rare exploit of a fair system? I can see the more common scenario of accidentally killing your allies. And one should not be punished for that (unless you see it as you shouldn't be placing your traps in stupid places) especially if your allies aren't watching their step.

So. Should beartraps count as teamkills? Or does this seem like a rare occurrence and I should move on?

138 179

They may contribute to your total teamdamage % (shown when you're being votekicked) but beartrap teamkills should NOT show up in the killfeed.

It'd just lead to finger pointing and retaliation even though 90% of the time it's the teammate's fault for not minding their step.

So counting as a teamkill is fine. Showing the teamkill in the feed would be a bad idea.
If Triternion ever adds friendly beartrap UI markers things may change.

161 62
  • 12 Nov
 CarnifeX

One of these countless things which have been overlooked, because of the lack of logic or common sense?
I dont know, we can only guess...

1579 1635

Yes, they should. No, they don't.

And it won't be addressed anytime soon because it is not an issue in competitive skirmish because they are just disallowed there.

Mercenary 1144 2089

Should beartraps count as teamkills?

I think the problem is that you can now feed someones team damage % by stepping on their traps on purpose, so you can votekick them easily. They should definitely be tagged for teammates though. Little icon or something.

1579 1635

@TheKingInTheNorth said:
I think the problem is that you can now feed someones team damage % by stepping on their traps on purpose, so you can votekick them easily.

Just like it is with fire bombs, isn't it?

Mercenary 1144 2089

@SWSeriousMike said:

@TheKingInTheNorth said:
I think the problem is that you can now feed someones team damage % by stepping on their traps on purpose, so you can votekick them easily.

Just like it is with fire bombs, isn't it?

Firebombs take a while to kill teammates so I think it's a bit different. But yeah, you could technically do the same with firebombs.

1579 1635

So now you can troll with bear traps and attack your team mates and you can troll running into fire to trigger the automatic kick because of team kills.
If it was consistent only one of those would be possible.

On the other hand I don't know what bear traps are expected to add to the "highly skill-based hardcore competitive gameplay". It's just another feature without purpose that oftentimes makes the game worse.

116 91

@SWSeriousMike said:
On the other hand I don't know what bear traps are expected to add to the "highly skill-based hardcore competitive gameplay". It's just another feature without purpose that oftentimes makes the game worse.

I disagree. the inclusion of bear traps make for great area denial tools without telegraphing your actions to the enemy team. While I admit the item casualizes the game a tad, I think that its utility outweighs its memey-ness.

Then again, I'm pretty sure I'm the only person that uses it that way, so you're probably right.

1000 706
  • 13 Nov
 esturias

The beartraps would be fine and a good addition to the game - if implemented properly. Right now it's just unfinished clutter, like pretty much everything you can equip that isn't a weapon.

55 39

@Shitscrubber64 said:
(...) 90% of the time it's the teammate's fault for not minding their step.

It's like saying that "it is enemy's fault to fall into your trap, so you should not get kill/points for damaging foes". Whole point of bear trap is that it only makes sense because people are busy fighting/looking for enemies so they don't pay attention to the ground. That is natural and hard to blame.
If someone places a trap at a spot that is likely to be entered by teammate as well as enemy - this is stupid decision, and it is trap owner who is to blame. This is often the case.

Having said all that, I believe there should be negative points for teammates falling into trap, similar as with fire (IIRC). Kill counter should not be affected, let the votekick system and the percentage damage do its job. (Yes, I know votekick is not very handy at the time being, but the beartrap-trolling isn't that common either...)

1579 1635

@Cracksmith said:

@SWSeriousMike said:

I disagree. the inclusion of bear traps make for great area denial tools without telegraphing your actions to the enemy team. While I admit the item casualizes the game a tad, I think that its utility outweighs its memey-ness.

Then again, I'm pretty sure I'm the only person that uses it that way, so you're probably right.

Most of the traps I encountered were invisible (hidden behind textures without collision) or unavoidable (e.g. near ladders). So admittedly I'm a bit salty about them.

403 601
  • 13 Nov
 smug

Yes they should.

The real problem with bear traps is that there is no VOIP, little reason to communicate in general with your team, and team-mates not having visibility of your traps through outlines like in other FPS games. Made a thread about this a while ago. Having them not count as TKs takes all accountability away and incentivizes awful bear trap placement that nets kills at the detriment of your own team.

Sellsword 775 2312
  • 14 Nov
 Goof

No, people need to learn not to step in muh traps after seeing me place them in the exact same spot a dozen times before that same match.

1159 1816

@Goof said:
No, people need to learn not to step in muh traps after seeing me place them in the exact same spot a dozen times before that same match.

That is 99% of the Mordhau population.

88 95
  • 17 Nov
 Xanith

Bear traps should instakill horses.

1000 706
  • 17 Nov
 esturias

@Lionheart Chevalier said:

@Goof said:

Not really. The beartraps at the obvious spots aren't the problem and people don't step into those that often (ok... it still happens a lot, simply because gameplay is so chaotic and there are 30+ potential players to chek out that one spot on the map), it's the ones placed around that (or completely randomly) which catch the teammates.
Sooo... yeah. There is absolutely no way around icons/markers on the screen, like you would have them from the start in every other game.

55 39

@esturias said:

@Lionheart Chevalier said:

@Goof said:

Not really. (...)

(I was sure Goof's post was just a trolling, but since you answered...)

If teammates steps into someone's trap dozen of times in a match it only means the trap is badly placed.
Therefore, someone who placed it that way, should be vote-kicked due to high team damage.

12 6
  • 18 Nov
 Cryptic

The real issue is that they need to add markers for friendly bear traps.

55 39

@Cryptic said:
The real issue is that they need to add markers for friendly bear traps.

I disagree. But that's off-topic.