Mordhau

Clunky Nature of Parry and Possible Solutions

1119 1759

Several proposals:

1) I propose making parry box physically longer. What I mean is making the parry size in front of you 5-8 inches larger in front of the animation.

Why? I believe missed attacks are too disruptive in 1vX. A sword stab is right in front of your player model but because it did not touch your physical hit box, the parry did not connect. He missed and you're now in parry recovery while his friends get free hits. That's very clunky.

When ganking someone really dangerous I often throw stabs above their head, fake missing, so they parry/chamber for nothing and my team mates finish them. Why feint when I can just miss? Even in a duel, I can stab AS/Rapier or anything faster and intentionally miss and get a free combo hit while my opponent is in parry recovery.

Adding those inches will only marginally nerf drags, in no way a serious drag nerf.

2) I would also propose making the time between being able to parry after having your attack blocked instant. There's a few ms where your sword has been parried and is "stuck" on your opponents hit box. In that tiny window you cannot parry... and in 1vX sometimes you need to be able to parry in that tiny window but you can't and you get hit. Very clunky.

This would also buff drags against panic blockers. In those few ms, a panic blocker is not allowed to block right after his attack has been parried so his parry is delayed. In a duel, his later parry adds resilience to drags. The proposal would allow skilled players to better defend in 1vX or ganks AND it would slightly strengthen drags by allowing panicked players the opportunity to panic parry even earlier.

3) Parry ( and shield) is too wide. I find it harder to circumvent parries via locational deceptions in Mordhau than in Chivalry. Way harder. Feels as though my entire playstyle of waterfalls and side stabs from Chivalry was deleted. With Mordhau's anti-dragging system, waterfalls and other swing manipulation techniques could never be as absurd as Chivalry's. It stands to reason that the parry turn cap could be greatly eased, so players can aim better AND that parry be trimmed a few inches off each side so that greater accuracy is required.

I know 1vX is often a concern when it comes to trimming parrybox but with a faster parry turn cap, it will be easier to move your parry/shield. Also, double parry mechanic could be augmented so that the second parry has a widened parrybox, to make parrying in 1vX much easier along with the current stamina free bonus.

I also think leg hits should also be a valid locational deception target. Way back the devs buffed damage against leg shots but they should have instead, made the parry box over legs require better accuracy but kept the low damage against legs.

I find playing the game based solely on timing defense/offense nowhere nearly as engaging as Chivalry's. Where's the swing manipulation? The most powerful swing manipulation technique I find useful in Mordhau is intentional missing (or accidentally missing lol.)

1119 1759

Shit I forgot one.
4) Parry morphs/feints/windups inside your player's body. Pretty sure this was a thing in alpha, not sure why it would have been removed. But essentially, if someone's sword is floating inside my face (literally!) I should be able to parry that and sieze initiative. Zwei stab is so annoying because you have to wait for this magical moment while it's already inside you to parry it.

This isn't a feint/morph/drag nerf. This is simply a rework so feints/stab drags and morphs have to be done smarter and will look better. Like using look down over head feints? Don't do it inside their player model. Like spear feints? Keep your distance and don't face hug with a 10ft weapon. People who try to use this new change to charge into windup's would be easily dragged and I don't think this change will dramatically nerf feints in the long run. Feinting will be less of a button press and more of a strategic, planned move.

Tired of having a bunch of weapons floating inside my face in 1vX but not being able to parry them because they accidentally miss and I have to wait for a magical moment where they suddenly become parryable and lethal.

28 20
  • 5 Nov
 Fleecer

Yeah definitely need some updates to improve those body-inside cheeeesy moves, it’s even harder to parry in 3rd person view.

149 58
  • 6 Nov
 CarnifeX

i like that, from everything i understand,
but some things are just science chinese to me ;P

1119 1759

@CarnifeX said:

Summary:

Giving parry a few inches of physical length to parry otherwise missed attacks or attacks that would've hit the wall behind you or their team mates instead.

Allowing you to parry feints/morphs/windups inside your body. So feints/morphs/windups/drags/sidestabs/waterfalls that start off inside you are no longer viable. A feint/morph must start outside your body which makes it slightly more readable: Any weapon in your face can be parried and new drags/etc must be done at a distance. Skill ceiling raised.

Allowing you to parry even after your attack was blocked: When you hit someone and they parry you, your sword is stuck to their sword for a few micro sceonds. I'm suggesting you be allowed to press parry during this tiny window so you don't get hit during it in 1vX. This also means noobs panicking can parry earlier during a duel... and be punished for it. This is a drag/timing buff in duels against noobs/panicked players while being a 1vX buff.

Making parry/shields tighter so it requires better aiming to successfully parry/block. Dragging would be promoted but require higher skill in combination with all my other suggestions. Skill ceiling of the game raised while still being noob friendly. All my other suggestions would make very fragrant abuses to be unviable not to mention all the anti-hard-dragging measures Mordhau already has in place. Long weapons would be really good at side stabbing BUT would you require you to do them at a distance or make them telegraphed from the onset because of suggestion one and two: blocking weapons inside your body and the 5-8 inches of "reach" parry would now have.

149 58
  • 6 Nov
 CarnifeX

@Lionheart Chevalier said:

@CarnifeX said:

Summary:

Giving parry a few inches of physical length to parry otherwise missed attacks or attacks that would've hit the wall behind you or their team mates instead.

Allowing you to parry feints/morphs/windups inside your body. So feints/morphs/windups/drags/sidestabs/waterfalls that start off inside you are no longer viable. A feint/morph must start outside your body which makes it slightly more readable: Any weapon in your face can be parried and new drags/etc must be done at a distance. Skill ceiling raised.

Allowing you to parry even after your attack was blocked: When you hit someone and they parry you, your sword is stuck to their sword for a few micro sceonds. I'm suggesting you be allowed to press parry during this tiny window so you don't get hit during it in 1vX. This also means noobs panicking can parry earlier during a duel... and be punished for it. This is a drag/timing buff in duels against noobs/panicked players while being a 1vX buff.

Making parry/shields tighter so it requires better aiming to successfully parry/block. Dragging would be promoted but require higher skill in combination with all my other suggestions. Skill ceiling of the game raised while still being noob friendly. All my other suggestions would make very fragrant abuses to be unviable not to mention all the anti-hard-dragging measures Mordhau already has in place. Long weapons would be really good at side stabbing BUT would you require you to do them at a distance or make them telegraphed from the onset because of suggestion one and two: blocking weapons inside your body and the 5-8 inches of "reach" parry would now have.

ok, got it now, thank you