Mordhau

How to get better at Archery?

103 33
  • 30 Oct
 CazzyVR

Is there any Tips and Tricks to really get good with Archery? I know I need to learn Arrow/Bolt Drop and Travel Time but is there anything else I can do to be better at Ranged Combat?

1000 706
  • 30 Oct
 esturias

Practice.
It's really that simple. And hope for a redesign of the Huntsman perk, so that you get a chance to practice.

The problem that I have is that every server and even every new match on a server seems to change the overall ping/lag while mine stays the same, so that I sometimes have no chance to hit anything for a while...

Knight 7766 14286
  • 30 Oct
 ToLazy4Name

point and click real good, ez

Mercenary 1882 7041
  • 30 Oct
 ThunderDuck

Q: how 2 get good at thing

A: do thing

1579 1635

@ThunderDuck said:
Q: how 2 get good at thing

A: do thing

I guess some people here have mastered masturbation then. Not pointing fingers at anyone. ;)

Knight 7766 14286
  • 30 Oct
 ToLazy4Name

I've mastered having a jaded libido, desensitized dick and fried dopamine receptors

coomer.png

Knight 5187 6954

Indeed practise makes perfection. That's the only way to adjust to the values of the bow of your choice.
That being said, i'll give you a few tips of mine:

• long shots are only usefull if you are shooting into an unaware group of enemies. Single targets may be picked, but you have a to have a handle on the proyectile's speed and drop.
  • shoot into melee only if you are close enough, try to shoot either when one of the two parties is attacking. Not always, but at least 80% of the time when someone gets attacked, they either backpedal or move away from their attacker in some manner. Figure who's being attacked, and aim acordingly. That brings some predictability to it. You can further asess target behaviour and movement by having a general awareness of the game's flow at the time. ¿Is my team pushing them back or we are the ones being pushed? Someone is way less propense to use his footwork to maneuver around an enemy when that would net him being sorrounded and murdered by their enemy.
  • catapults, mortars and ballistas are easy picks. If they become aware of you they may shot and get out of there and may get harder to damage or kill them, but if you are neutralizing or at least slowing down a big threat, you are doing a good job. (If they are bad with the siege equipment, you do your team a favor by letting them stay there doing nothing).
  • always try to find cover in between shots, Especially cover against posible enemy archers due to huntsman. ESPECIALLY if you are using crossbow, you should almost always reload in a safe spot with it. You should also try to change position from time to time, or else archers and bloodlusted archer haters will know where to find you all the time.
  • when someone is charging at you, try to discern their dodging pattern, zig zag is the easiest, wait for them to change direction once, and then lead for the oposite direction. People often atempt to jump too, that's even easier because they can't control their speed nor their direction once they are in the air. If they start leaping like frogs when they notice you, aim acordingly. Charging horsemen have less maneuverability than people on foot, if you see them coming straight at you, you can even reliably aim for a headshot, wether this is safe or not will depen on how early you shoot and how much hp/armor they have. This also leads to the next point.
  • know when to switch to melee, not only to avoid getting raped for trying to slip one last arrow/bolt but also to properly help your teammates. Sometimes you will most likely do either nothing or just harm your allies, and then you should draw your secondary and try to help. Good melee skills also make a great archer.
Knight 766 3313
  • 31 Oct
 Mittsies

convince the enemy team to stop wearing pavices on their back.
until then I'm afraid there's not much you can do.
aim for their legs I guess.

103 33
  • 31 Oct
 CazzyVR

@Humble Staff said:
Indeed practise makes perfection. That's the only way to adjust to the values of the bow of your choice.

• long shots are only usefull if you are shooting into an unaware group of enemies. Single targets may be picked, but you have a to have a handle on the proyectile's speed and drop.
  • shoot into melee only if you are close enough, try to shoot either when one of the two parties is attacking. Not always, but at least 80% of the time when someone gets attacked, they either backpedal or move away from their attacker in some manner. Figure who's being attacked, and aim acordingly. That brings some predictability to it. You can further asess target behaviour and movement by having a general awareness of the game's flow at the time. ¿Is my team pushing them back or we are the ones being pushed? Someone is way less propense to use his footwork to maneuver around an enemy when that would net him being sorrounded and murdered by their enemy.
  • catapults, mortars and ballistas are easy picks. If they become aware of you they may shot and get out of there and may get harder to damage or kill them, but if you are neutralizing or at least slowing down a big threat, you are doing a good job. (If they are bad with the siege equipment, you do your team a favor by letting them stay there doing nothing).
  • always try to find cover in between shots, Especially cover against posible enemy archers due to huntsman. ESPECIALLY if you are using crossbow, you should almost always reload in a safe spot with it. You should also try to change position from time to time, or else archers and bloodlusted archer haters will know where to find you all the time.
  • when someone is charging at you, try to discern their dodging pattern, zig zag is the easiest, wait for them to change direction once, and then lead for the oposite direction. People often atempt to jump too, that's even easier because they can't control their speed nor their direction once they are in the air. If they start leaping like frogs when they notice you, aim acordingly. Charging horsemen have less maneuverability than people on foot, if you see them coming straight at you, you can even reliably aim for a headshot, wether this is safe or not will depen on how early you shoot and how much hp/armor they have. This also leads to the next point.
  • know when to switch to melee, not only to avoid getting raped for trying to slip one last arrow/bolt but also to properly help your teammates. Sometimes you will most likely do either nothing or just harm your allies, and then you should draw your secondary and try to help. Good melee skills also make a great archer.

Thank you, I'll definitely take these into consideration. Thanks for the help

75 47
  • 31 Oct
 Aodlop

downloads game known for its great melee combat
plays ranged

1000 706
  • 31 Oct
 esturias

@Aodlop said:
plays ranged

Sooo... you never did that? And you never threw a firebomb or something?
Stupid comment.

75 47
  • 31 Oct
 Aodlop

Throwing firebombs is a one-time thing during a game. I'm not spending a whole 20 minutes hiding behind the lines, throwing firebombs. I throw one, then I run with my big fucking sword to kill things.

1000 706
  • 31 Oct
 esturias

@Aodlop said:
Throwing firebombs is a one-time thing during a game. I'm not spending a whole 20 minutes hiding behind the lines, throwing firebombs. I throw one, then I run with my big fucking sword to kill things.

And what exactly is so wrong with playing archer, especially if you don't even know how often the OP plays it?

Knight 5187 6954

@CazzyVR said:

@Humble Staff said:

Thank you, I'll definitely take these into consideration. Thanks for the help

It's my pleasure to help :)
Have fun killing haters from affar

1579 1635

@Aodlop said:

plays ranged

Sadly archery is less braindead than melee - at least in frontline. Archers at least have to aim. That's more than spear users have to do.

75 47
  • 1 Nov
 Aodlop

Not all melee fighters are spear or rapier users.

103 33
  • 2 Nov
 CazzyVR

@Aodlop said:

As someone else said, I don't use Ranged all the time. I actually PRimarely use the Rapier, Heater Shield, Heavy Handaxe and Longsword. But I wish to try Ranged and it is a lot more challenging then Melee and gives such a Rush and a much Greater sense of satisfaction when you kill someone with a Ranged Weapon for me.

75 47
  • 6 Nov
 Aodlop

@CazzyVR said:

@Aodlop said:

I actually PRimarely use the Rapier, Heater Shield,

That's even worse than playing pure bow lol.

21 8
 newfig

1 - recurve bow, lv0-1 armor

2 - get really close

3 - constantly change targets and look around

4 - when you are shooting make sure to actually aim and predict your target, don't shoot without thinking or just fire in a general area (your shooting should still be fast and spammy tho, just not braindead)

5 - hide from enemy archers, you might still take a shot or two at them when they are not looking but never actually duel because it's pretty much a cointoss and you are at a big disadvantage against longbows and crossbows

6 - pull out melee as little as possible, you'll die sometimes without getting to parry or fight back but it's ok, when you get good at this you'll hard tilt your opponents into suiciding into your lines

hjhj.png

archie.png

1000 706
  • 7 Nov
 esturias

If only that recurvebow didn't feel like it was lobbing matchsticks.
There is a reason why the vast majority is using the longbow...