Mordhau

Weird parry issue - block from behind?

21 15
  • 7 Oct
 123mop

I frequently see an issue where enemies parry me while I'm attacking them from behind, immediately after they parry one of my teammates. After a successful parry, does the parry box size increase to cover the back of the target as well?

I thought I saw that happening in the clip below, so I recorded it with shadowplay and slowed it down. But in this case it seems the enemy hasn't parried at all until long after my attack has gone through. It almost seems like I'm hitting my teammates active parry, but they're on the other side of the enemy and I think the spear is pretty clearly going through the enemy at the moment of the thrust. Does anyone know what's going on here? Maybe the tracers of the spear are in the teammate's parry at the moment that release begins, so the attack is instantly parried?

Either way it feels pretty bad when this sort of thing happens, makes flanking feel pretty terrible when the enemy will just accidentally parry you when they don't even know you're there.

https://www.kapwing.com/videos/5d9aa8c8e3a939001468483a

Knight 46 55
  • 7 Oct
 Josh

This looks like your weapon was either intersecting with the enemy at the end of windup, or only at the beginning of release (the beginning of release doesn't actually deal damage but can be parried/chambered, I'm not sure how long this period is but with normal grip spear stabs it seems to be about 100-120 ms).

And although it doesn't look like his parry was ready, this is just because it takes time for the parry animation to come up while the parry state is instant. I also believe that the game will prioritise parrying an attack if it's intersecting both a player and their parry at the same time (otherwise there would be truly unblockable attacks). In this case you just got a bit unlucky.

To prevent your attacks being blocked like this, try to time/position your attacks so that the damaging part of release starts just as your weapon model intersects with their body, but before it intersects with their parry. One way to do this is to get your strike landing at the edge of your range, another decently reliable method is to stab drag, stab next to/above them and then drag into their body (doing a stab drag above them will also increase your chance of getting headshots).

21 15
  • 7 Oct
 123mop

@Josh said:

I also believe that the game will prioritise parrying an attack if it's intersecting both a player and their parry at the same time (otherwise there would be truly unblockable attacks).

To prevent your attacks being blocked like this, try to time/position your attacks so that the damaging part of release starts just as your weapon model intersects with their body, but before it intersects with their parry. One way to do this is to get your strike landing at the edge of your range, another decently reliable method is to stab drag, stab next to/above them and then drag into their body (doing a stab drag above them will also increase your chance of getting headshots).

If this is the case it's a huge problem, in exactly the same way that hitting an enemy who's behind their parry when you make contact with both would be a huge problem. You can't just magically reposition yourself 150cm farther back (most of the spear length) to avoid getting parried by the wrong side of the enemy parry. I'll test this tonight.

94 217

this is not a feature or a result of circumstance, it is a bug produced by the latest patch. it causes the entire recovery phase of a riposte to act like a parry.

Knight 46 55
  • 8 Oct
 Josh

That bug should have been fixed with the latest hotfix, but it's possible it could've been that if it's an older clip
riposte-recovery.png

21 15
  • 9 Oct
 123mop

It's not a riposte recovery bug. Tested this tonight, I believe it's being parried during early release by the player on the far side. So the player in the middle isn't getting hit because it's getting parried before the attack enters release. It's an issue with the way stabs are animated, because the spear is so far forwards in early release it doesn't actually travel outwards from you to reach the parrying player.

The result is what appears to be me stabbing through a player and getting parried by someone on the other side without hurting the player in between, despite the weapon needing to pass through their body to even reach the place it gets parried.

https://www.kapwing.com/videos/5d9d4824ce5bc40014811c40