Mordhau

Please Rework Huntsman perk.

24 18
  • 7 Oct
 xXLuxXx

The current huntsman perk is really restrictive to the bow gameplay. Its an auto-include on a weapon that is already 11 points, leaving you only 4 points to do anything with other than have a longbow. It also makes the recurve bow completely useless. The recurve bow doesnt really benefit from huntsman, as you cant even 1 shot level 1 armor with it, and you can't even block a 1 shot with a level 3 chest piece from longbow/crossbow, so there is no counterplay.

I believe the current huntsman perk dramatically limits the fun of bows, as you are eternally locked into just fighting the other bowman on the team in fear of being one shot.

I've thought of a few suggestions I thought would be cool.

Rework entirely -> Make enemy bowman appear with a marker above their head(some sort of sight bonus) Restrict their healing from kicking in for 30 seconds after being hit by your shot... or both.

Enable counterplay -> Drop the chest damage to 50% of what it is now, so you can counter the one-shots with level 3 or even level 2 armor... which is a large investment in bow builds due to the high point cost of bows... and this would force the other bowman to go for the one shot on the head.

Other suggestions ->

Give Huntsman a minimum range too where it wont activate, 8 feet or more..
Make Huntsman only activate if they have a bow EQUIPPED , not just a quiver on their person.
Let melee weapons benefit from huntsman instead or let all weapons benefit with the reduced chest damage.

1000 706
  • 7 Oct
 esturias

Yeah, that perk and the oneshot-archer-gameplay it causes is pretty stupid. But if you look closely, it's the whole archery part of the game that needs a rework.

403 601
  • 7 Oct
 smug

i posted about this a long time ago, was a really long post too. the devs simply dont care that archery is fundamentally flawed sadly.

26 23
  • 7 Oct
 123mop

Yeah. Some people are big proponents of huntsman because "fuck archers" or something. But huntsman means the archers are back to shooting the foot soldiers much more quickly, and the archers tend to be further back because they're so likely to get one shot the closer they are to the fight.

I like the idea of a perk that marks enemy archers with an outline or head indicator when they're in line of sight, that sounds neat.

On a similar note, dropping ranged weapons when you get hit is pretty nonsensical too. A bow is basically a curved quarterstatf or club. Someone punching you shouldn't cause you to hurl it to the ground. Same goes for the throwing weapons. That entire functionality only serves as a big middle finger to the archer that survives the ensuing fight after getting into melee range with an enemy, because if the fight took just a few moments too long their bow vanishes due to the short timer for ground items. Then they're left as a gimped soldier with hardly any loadout points and a quiver that causes them to magically die if shot by an arrow.

1000 706
  • 7 Oct
 esturias

Yeah, dropping your ranged weapon is pretty much nonsense, same with not being able to kick.
You should be able to turn your bow or crossbow into a simple melee weapon with low damage and range and high stamina cost, so that you might be able to parry one or two attacks and maybe even hit back once. That complete defenselessness right now is just ridiculous.

98 95
  • 7 Oct
 The Bird

@esturias said:
Yeah, dropping your ranged weapon is pretty much nonsense, same with not being able to kick.
You should be able to turn your bow or crossbow into a simple melee weapon with low damage and range and high stamina cost, so that you might be able to parry one or two attacks and maybe even hit back once. That complete defenselessness right now is just ridiculous.

The Bird is not an archer. The Bird despises archers. The Bird agrees with your statement.

Pekt

Bird

Sellsword 775 2312
  • 9 Oct
 Goof

@The Bird said:

@esturias said:

The Bird is not an archer. The Bird despises archers. The Bird agrees with your statement.

Pekt

Bird

Tbh this whole persona that you maintain is played out and annoying at this point.

1579 1636

Also Peregrine is also a bird. And Peregrine is an archer. I think at this point you need to duke out who is the real bird.

Mercenary 1144 2089

Archers are there as support, they are not supposed to need a lot of extra points for armour and weapons.

396 453

Huntsman perk should be removed tbh, its the only reason I never play archery

24 18
  • 10 Oct
 xXLuxXx

@smug said:
i posted about this a long time ago, was a really long post too. the devs simply dont care that archery is fundamentally flawed sadly.

I personally dont think it's too far off from being in a good place. Huntsman just makes everything awkward. Recurve bow should win in close fights but it doesnt because of huntsman. You can't focus on shooting people with swords because other archers are too free because of huntsman. I think each bow would fall into its own role really well if it wasnt for the perk. Things like dropping your bow or not being able to parry can at least be mitigated with situational awareness and some good ducks.

21 8
  • 11 Oct
 newfig

I agree, it's really annoying to get one shot and it only benefits bad archers that stay all the way back trying to fight other archers all game long killing like 10 people per game.

I play recurve only and usually get top 1-5 score and I hide from other archers all game long to try to die less to this.

23 6
  • 14 Oct
 Corvidae

If Huntsman capped a bow's damage to like 95 against armor (unless it was a head shot) that might give recurve a chance in the head to head.

Totally agree that you should not knock bow or thrown weapons out of someones hand with a normal strike. Bows and thrown weapons don't even flinch, unlike getting bumped by a horse at almost any speed. Totally silly considering projectiles do lots more damage and horses are already annoying AF.

Knight 2267 4085
  • 15 Oct
 Runagate

We had projectile flinch on throwables in the alpha, luckily it was removed before bows were added because it was quite aids.

Mercenary 1882 7041
  • 29 Oct
 ThunderDuck

@Goof said:

@The Bird said:

@esturias said:

Pekt

Bird

Tbh this whole persona that you maintain is played out and annoying at this point.

"Get pekt" is pretty funny though. At least when it's appropriate.