Mordhau

Flesh Wound got nerfed too hard

188 241
  • 27 Sep '19
 Quenquent

Flesh Wound got the held Shields treatment : nerf it so hard nobody will use it and no one will complains about it anymore.

For the ones that missed it in the patch notes, when you go into Flesh Wound state, you lose all your stamina. This mean you cannot parry, morph, feint nor combo in Flesh wound state. This means you are dead pretty much.

We are going back to the held Shield problem, because with the new version of FW, you are spending point to simply be dead. You simply cannot do anything, being in Duels or Frontline.

Why ? Why nerf it so hard ? The only complains I've heard where how it wasn't effective on leg hits and complain of people not understanding the idea of spending points into something. At least the 3 point version allowed the user to do something, and it was close to getting an additional tier of armor. For me, with the exception of getting some form of downside when losing a leg, it was balanced.

But now ? Just like Shields, spending points in FW is just spending 2 points you could have better spent somewhere else.

Inb4 "Good it's useless, I don't like it" from glue-eaters.

37 63
  • 27 Sep '19
 Mojique

It was far too effective in duels and a lot of people used it to survive another hit, and giving someone the full capacity to make whatever tricky triple feint 360 thrown maul headshots they wanted to do when they should be dead was a LOT in a duel situation.

48 29
  • 27 Sep '19
 Wilkham

Flesh wound should be set for everyone by default, it would make the game even more fun.

34 22
  • 28 Sep '19
 Fleecer

Yes it’s a big nerfed, but closer to reality imo

1383 2082

Would be fair if it cost one point now... but two points? I mean that's literally two points spent to die a comedic (or humiliating) death.

Your opponent has the advantage of time, probably stamina and ultimately, they should still be holding initiative; so your parry is useless without stamina and while they have initiative. And he probably didn't waste his points on Flesh wound but on something that was more useful.

Knight 89 115
  • 28 Sep '19
 Josh

I doubt there's any good way to actually balance flesh wound for every mode, it's either going to be worth it for the extra hit to kill in skirmish and duel and therefore you should pick it if you have spare points, or it won't be worth the points and never picked by anyone trying to win.

I'm sure they also intended for it to be a meme perk rather than actually useful, so to enhance this I think they should just remove the 5 second lifetime, let people survive permanently with zero health and stamina screaming the whole time. You might actually be able to do something useful in frontline/invasion with this, but will still be pretty useless in duel/skirmish.

Conscript 192 478
  • 28 Sep '19
 Shovonem

Flesh wound needed nerf. It was completely broken in competitive. Flesh wound rewards bad play (dying). Flesh wound won't be useful in duels (tbh it shouldn't). I believe it would still be useful in team fight since often times you can run away and Target switch to an enemy your team mate is fighting for some damage before you die (especially with light armor and big damage weapon). It just won't be cancer anymore.

1612 1195
  • 28 Sep '19
 esturias

It's just a super stupid perk, because of many reasons.
They should simply turn it into a 1 point fun perk, like "When you die, you die a super thearalic death with lots of screaming and ragdolling."

Sooo... yeah. Horses can get fixed without a problem, so no need to remove them, but in this case I'm a glue eater who would like to see Flesh Wound completely gone as an active perk.

188 241
  • 28 Sep '19
 Quenquent

@Mojique said:
It was far too effective in duels and a lot of people used it to survive another hit, and giving someone the full capacity to make whatever tricky triple feint 360 thrown maul headshots they wanted to do when they should be dead was a LOT in a duel situation.

So you mean they could use the 3 points they spent on FW ? Being able to survive an other hit (for 5 more seconds) looks similar to having an additional tier of armor. On top of that, you couldn't do that "tricky triple feint 360 thrown maul headshots" if the last hit you took before FW was a headshot or removed your arm.

That it reduces your stamina by something like 50 so you are still limited in your actions while still able to do something seems more balanced.

95 218
  • 28 Sep '19
 ParalyzedTortoise

fleshwound made medium armor more irrelevant than it already was.

why waste points on another tier of armor when you can go 1/1/1, zoom around at terminal velocity, and still wield a big-dick weapon while having the same durability?

6 12
  • 28 Sep '19
 randomguy

only perk I use thanks for destroying this game

136 157
  • 29 Sep '19
 The Bird

The Bird fails to understand what was wrong with flesh wound to begin with? The Bird would have simply removed it from duels..The Bird is not pleased.

Bird

Pekt

Mercenary 179 614
  • 29 Sep '19
 Stauxie

The fact that fleshwound lasted as long as it did without a major nerf astonishes me. I explained it in another thread, but fleshwound was never fun to play with or against, rewarded the worse player, and was overrunning competitive so that the most dedicated players had another reason to hate the game. It should remain only for the casual players and not bleed into comp. If you want to meme with the perk you still can as that's all it should've ever been, a meme.

Looks like people actually mentioned these points before I did so apologies, so I'll try again.

The issue with fleshwound was it was the only perk in the game that could literally decide competitive matches for the low low price of 2 points. Instead of fixing the major issues of fleshwound, they decided to bump up the price to 3 points, so it was still being run in competitive and still ruining gameplay for the sake of a perk that should've been a meme. I would've done a different nerf, but this works just as well without working too much on it.

1916 2006
  • 30 Sep '19
 SWSeriousMike

It was suggested ages ago to remove the perk system and instead add them passively or depending on the gear. E.g. you could have made flesh wound unlock after a killing spree. Perks were a bad idea.

58 69
  • 30 Sep '19
 PartyClass

They should've just banned it in ranked duels, where it would be annoying. Otherwise I'd prefer the comedy, even if they manage to kill me

160 90
  • 30 Sep '19
 NoYou

@PartyClass said:
They should've just banned it in ranked duels, where it would be annoying. Otherwise I'd prefer the comedy, even if they manage to kill me

Yeah, imo flesh wound is just there for the memes and is out of place in competitive play.

Sellsword 792 2347
  • 30 Sep '19
 Goof

They didn't even need to nerf flesh wound in terms of competitive reasons...

They could have just hard-locked it out of competitive modes...

312 245
  • 1 Oct '19
 LoPan

You’re meant to be on your last legs. Not berzerker adrenaline mode.

I thinks it’s perfect the way it is. You can get a last swing or two in and potentially win, but you can’t do anything fancy besides swing manipulation.

188 241
  • 2 Oct '19
 Quenquent

@LoPan said:
You can get a last swing or two

No ? When you go in FW, your opponent have the initiative since their last attack wasn't parried/dodged. To get the initiative back, you either have to wait for an opening left by your opponent or parry/chamber their attack, you cannot do the latter since you are at 0 stamina. There is exactly no reason not to attack after putting an opponent in FW.

That it shouldn't allow you to do 300 morphs and feints, I agree (it was done by losing limbs before but the only moment it wasn't impactful was when you lose no limb/a leg).
This is also why I suggested losing 50 stamina instead : it would still allow you to do some moves and reward good stamina management without making you as good as dead.

Emperor 399 924
  • 2 Oct '19
 Soulcatcher

Just a rat perk that's only good for memes and listening to the hilarious screams that come from it.

Don't understand any anger towards the change.