Mordhau

Is the game truly dead/dying?

161 62
  • 27 Sep
 CarnifeX

@NoYou said:

@esturias said:

@Cracksmith said:
It's not dead, it just has too high a skillcap.

How is that the reason for the situation we have now? O.o

Casual players don’t stay after getting destroyed by tryhards but thats what to expect with a game like this and there isn’t much you can do to the skill cap. Making objectives more rewarding in the main mode and not focusing everything on kills would perhaps retain more casual players.

That would presuppose common sense...

182 110

@Tr0gledyte said:

@bobbydigital said:
Steam takes 30%?

So they have the money from 70% of a million copies at say £20 each, £14 million pounds.

The only way to make money further is to spend money and it's not a guaranteed return.
They don't want to hire staff yet when they do get around to releasing a patch it's empty trash, lose lose situation.

It doesn't really mater though after you make 14 million, you can be set for life with the right investments, why waste your time on a project that won't give you any more returns when you can go invest in properties, enjoy nice holidays and cars.

14 million, set for life? Remember this is a company, and it has employees lol. I doubt this profit has them "set for life", it's not Minecraft that turned Notch into a billionaire.

I think it was 11 people in total, few of them will be the top ones taking most of the cash, the rest on them on a basic salary, maybe a little bonus for the amount of sales but I doubt it will be split 11 ways equally. Which would end up probably 1 million after taxes for each person if they did split it equally.

By some properties, rent them out, you will be on a few 1000 income per week for the rest of your days.

On topic, Invasion killed this game for me, it's actually balanced worse than frontline.
With more issues,
toolbox spam
smokebomb spam
repetitive gameplay (bottleneckfest)
Killzone implemented in some locations badly
Slower pace
Worse performance

971 699
  • 28 Sep
 esturias

@Quenquentthebabysitter said:
For the small amount of experience I've got with Chivalry, there was new player-only official servers for this purpose, whenever you like the idea of it or not.

I already suggested servers with level-limits, because the first couple of matches are just horrible playing against all those high-level players.

But again: The game having a high skillcap is definitely NOT the reason for the situation we have now. That's nonsense...

1560 1618

I'm not even sure I would agree that the game has that high of a skill cap. There are certainly games with a higher skill cap that are still popular. And were popular before rank-based matchmaking was a thing.

Player skill progression is just boring. The most would-be entertaining part of the game (i.e. offense) has a very low skill cap. Even archery is held back with randomness.

17 28
  • 29 Sep
 Khakedais

I think a cosmetic pack would create outrage, but I personally wouldn't mind. A cosmetic pack, as in a DLC which has a nice bundle of neat cosmetics in it, wouldn't be bad. It just needs to be one, not overpriced and two, not so jarring that people can instantly see that "this is a paid item". So, no stupid pimp gear.

6 2
  • 29 Sep
 Ciuy

its dying if it cant goddamn buy some decent servers....

50ping then 100ping then 800 ping, then 70 ping.....all game
the other 5 online games work great always under <50 (never in Mordhau unless only 4 players, maybe)
specially with throwing weaps

957 306

I believe if Triternion does make more games they should focus on Single player/coop games since they are a small company of like 10 people it would be alot less of a pain to make Longer better made Single player games than another Multiplayer game with alot more hoops to jump through

971 699
  • 30 Sep
 esturias

But you do know that singleplayergames require a lot more work?
Look how they struggle with new maps - in a singleplayergame you'd need 100s of those...

149 74
  • 30 Sep
 NoYou

Don’t know about the game but the forums sure are.

957 306

@esturias said:
But you do know that singleplayergames require a lot more work?
Look how they struggle with new maps - in a singleplayergame you'd need 100s of those...

yes, but there is no need for upkeep on single player games if a player base disappears nothing is lost in the Long run wile in the case of Mordhau theres alot more issues to work with with people needing constant patches and updates when theres no real Motivation to do such things since the lack of Micro transactions or DLC so unlike Single player games it needs constant Maintenance as well as the cost to keep Servers running, which single player games do not require you just buy and play and no need to have more cost to maintain thus meaning more money to keep

971 699
  • 1 Oct
 esturias

@Antoniokontos said:
yes, but there is no need for upkeep on single player games

That's true... but again: You first have to make a game, then you can more or less relax. That doesn't work with 10 people.
And a singleplayergame with the quality of this one? No way. That game would be dead before it would get sold. It's only multiplayergames that survive that long despite the game being bad.

Besides that, I think I have to correct my opinion about the game being dead.
I just decided to check the game again after a month and a few weeks. And when I try to find a server (GER), I only find one or two full ones and a few desperately empty ones that don't fill up any more. Besides that, once kicked (timeout... no idea why) after match end and now we had completely collapsing servers at the start of a match. I thought my internet would be dead, but then I saw people posting surprising messages in the chat. Aaaand kick - "failed to load statistics" or something. Can't join a new one, either.
Yay.

Empress 380 890

You know, I honestly don't think the decline in players has anything to do with maps or game modes.

None of either change the fact the games core mechanics are revolved around a lot of things, movement/footwork, timing, split second decisions. And you can get sent to the respawn menu in two shots if you fuck up a chamber or don't match an angle or some shit.

Reckon most casual people don't like that at all.

It was never going to be anything else than this, you've got a high skill ceiling game, heaps of people ragequit and uninstall, and the people who enjoy it stick around and get good. New people join and fight those people and don't stand a chance and ragequit even faster.

It's no different than Chiv.

What do you actually do about that? you can't change the fact this genre which is what, like 3-4 games, is so in your fucking face. That's where all this "toxic" shit comes from, you're right there with another cunt and you're trying to do everything under the sun to fuck him up. And that's just the nature of it.

Not many people have the patience to deal with that I reckon.

New maps and game modes will attract people sure, but just for a time I think. It'll just boil down to the same reasons they stopped playing before, no patience and not a real interest in devoting time to getting better.

I can't word shit right but yeah, I think it's just a type of game not many people enjoy because it's hard as fuck and it's in your face.

Real shame, but I reckon that's just what it is.

971 699
  • 2 Oct
 esturias

@Soulcatcher said:
You know, I honestly don't think the decline in players has anything to do with maps or game modes.
[...]
It was never going to be anything else than this, you've got a high skill ceiling game, heaps of people ragequit and uninstall, and the people who enjoy it stick around and get good.

But even a niche game doesn't lose >95% of its players. This isn't the only game with a high skill ceiling (and as mike wrote, it isn't even that high...) and those games don't die after a few months.
People leave because of skill frustration, that's true. But I'd still claim that most of them leave because the game simply isn't finished at all and still in beta status. Buggy, glitchy, unfinished, unbalanced, no content.
It's as simple as that.

Empress 380 890

@esturias said:

@Soulcatcher said:
[...]
It was never going to be anything else than this, you've got a high skill ceiling game, heaps of people ragequit and uninstall, and the people who enjoy it stick around and get good.

But even a niche game doesn't lose >95% of its players. This isn't the only game with a high skill ceiling (and as mike wrote, it isn't even that high...) and those games don't die after a few months.
People leave because of skill frustration, that's true. But I'd still claim that most of them leave because the game simply isn't finished at all and still in beta status. Buggy, glitchy, unfinished, unbalanced, no content.
It's as simple as that.

Give me an example of a game.

The skill ceiling in Chiv was higher than this. But it's still there, you get noobs learning to morph and shit but just destroy them by strafing out of their swing and stabbing them in the head. And they don't seem to understand what happened and ragequit back to fortnite.

It's just expected.

The current playerbase atleast in Oceania/AU/NZ is nothing less than expected. It's no different from Chiv for the same reasons.

Games not dead, it's just evening itself out with the playerbase. Nobody enjoys this type of game.

It'll always be a quiet little fest of rage in the corner of the room, till something changes, and if it does change. And draws more players, I doubt it'd be for the better.

971 699
  • 2 Oct
 esturias

@Soulcatcher said:

CS and even things like Quake as shooters. Starcraft as a RTS. Hell... even something like Street Fighter. High skill ceiling, but far from dead. Not as much niche games as this one, but still...

It's just expected.
[...]
Games not dead, it's just evening itself out with the playerbase. Nobody enjoys this type of game.

A game doesn't lose 90% of its playerbase in two months just because people find it too difficult. That isn't just "evening out".
What about Chivalry? Someone told me that it still has a bit less than 1000 players. How much did it start with? 30k? Somewhere in 2013-15? Compare that...

1560 1618

@Soulcatcher said:

The skill ceiling in Chiv was higher than this. But it's still there, you get noobs learning to morph and shit but just destroy them by strafing out of their swing and stabbing them in the head. And they don't seem to understand what happened and ragequit back to fortnite.

It's just expected.

The current playerbase atleast in Oceania/AU/NZ is nothing less than expected. It's no different from Chiv for the same reasons.

It'll always be a quiet little fest of rage in the corner of the room, till something changes, and if it does change. And draws more players, I doubt it'd be for the better.

What a bunch of ridiculous non-sense. It reads like it was written by someone who hasn't played a single game besides Mordhau and Chivalry.
Do you really think it's desirable that players leave the game in flocks? Are you guys still waiting for ESL to knock on your door? For a game nobody but the few people that dedicated their lives to it plays anymore?

The most popular game mode has very little skill involved and you still try to paint it as a git gud problem.

82 92

@esturias said:
But even a niche game doesn't lose >95% of its players.

Niche games rarely reach millions of players in the first place. People are telling this game is nearly dead, if not dead already, because they are comparing the time period where this game was over-hyped and today. If there was around 10k players at the start, you would have heard no one saying this game is dead.

971 699
  • 3 Oct
 esturias

@Quenquentthebabysitter said:
Niche games rarely reach millions of players in the first place. People are telling this game is nearly dead, if not dead already, because they are comparing the time period where this game was over-hyped and today. If there was around 10k players at the start, you would have heard no one saying this game is dead.

You would hear less, that's for sure. But people don't only talk about the game dying because they put lots of hope into it and got massively disappointed after all that hype, but also because you barely find a server to play on when you play just a little bit off the rush hours. And even during rush hour, you don't have more than one or two servers to choose from.

I don't even care that much if it's officially dead, just dying or whatnot. The relevant part of all of this is that people are right with most of their arguments about the state of the game. And that is sad.

91 94
  • 4 Oct
 The Bird

The Bird declares that the game is not dead, nor is it dying. The Bird is not amused.

Pekt

Bird

GetPekt

Beak