Mordhau

Is the game truly dead/dying?

86 54
  • 23 Sep '19
 Aodlop

I keep reading stuff about it. Is it true?

182 110
  • 23 Sep '19
 bobbydigital

These are player averages. The recent patch probably spiked the average up a little bit for the last 30 days so I expect next month will be sub 3500

Last 30 Days - 3,888.8

August 2019 - 4,426.0

July 2019 - 7,089.2

June 2019 - 12,927.6

May 2019 - 28,446.5

109 129

The game will only die if the devs stop doing anything, if the community stop caring and the servers goes down.

The player drop is only both a mix of expected player drop after release, the overhype the game got and the devs being slow with the content patches.

There are many viable criticism to Mordhau, but being a dying or dead game isn't one to me.

124 44
  • 23 Sep '19
 Tr0gledyte

The Mordhau devs rely on initial game purchases for their income. I think it's safe to say they mostly tapped out that well with their unexpected over 1 million sales. DLC with game content would divide the playerbase and monthly subscriptions would cause an outrage. Their only way of monetizing Mordhau is by selling the game, which does not work well for an online game in the long run, sadly.

Since the game is now barely generating income, they have little incentive to put a lot of effort in. I wouldn't be surprised if their current income from sales doesn't even cover the devs salaries/server costs/advertisements/office space etc.

They cashed millions so they can last a while, but don't expect any major updates within a reasonable timeframe (Invasion was a very simple and lazy modification of Frontline). Instead, they will likely focus on a new project in about a year or so. They need to make money just like everyone else.

They might find other ways to monetize their game, such as microtransactions for special cosmetics. From a business point of view, this would be a smart move because people love pimping their characters. Putting in lots of effort to bring us a polished Siege Mode, new maps etc would be a poor decision, because even if ex-players return to the game, they already bought the game so they're not bringing any money in.

154 82
  • 23 Sep '19
 NoYou

@Tr0gledyte said:
The Mordhau devs rely on initial game purchases for their income. I think it's safe to say they mostly tapped out that well with their unexpected over 1 million sales. DLC with game content would divide the playerbase and monthly subscriptions would cause an outrage. Their only way of monetizing Mordhau is by selling the game, which does not work well in the long run, sadly.

Since the game is now barely generating income, they have little incentive to put a lot of effort in. I wouldn't be surprised if their current income from sales doesn't even cover the devs salaries/server costs/advertisements/office space etc.

They cashed millions so they can last a while, but don't expect any major updates within a reasonable timeframe (Invasion was a very simple and lazy modification of Frontline). Instead, they will likely focus on a new project in about a year or so. They need to make money just like everyone else.

They might find other ways to monetize their game, such as microtransactions for special cosmetics. From a business point of view, this would be a smart move because people love pimping their characters. Putting in lots of effort to bring us a polished Siege Mode, new maps etc would be a poor decision, because even if ex-players return to the game, they already bought the game so they're not bringing any money in.

Sad but true. I think they should add microtransactions but only for cosmetics not for anything that will give a player an advantage like unique weapons and perks. Buying gold to spend on cosmetics or unlock things quicker could also be an option if devs really are running out of money like you said.

1229 896
  • 23 Sep '19
 esturias

It's definitely not dead. After all, we're all here and there are enough servers to play on.
But given the massive drop in players and how slowly the game makes progress (if at all), one could surely say that it's dying.
Right now it's basically on the brink of it. It's still possible to change directions, but the signs are on the horizon...

Knight 7768 14309
  • 23 Sep '19
 ToLazy4Name

no it's not dead lmao anyone who says it is has never played niche titles

as to whether or not it's dying, that's anyone's guess

86 54
  • 23 Sep '19
 Aodlop

Yeah they should come up with microtransactions and sell skins. Maybe capes, backpacks or whatever.

8 4
  • 23 Sep '19
 gamerpvp001

should be the end of mordhau end of the year maybe.

404 603
  • 23 Sep '19
 smug

it was alive for a few weeks

124 44
  • 23 Sep '19
 Tr0gledyte

@ToLazy4Name said:

They need a way to generate income from the remaining core playerbase in the future, or else it will die. Then again, with a small playerbase and very few patches because they have other projects to work on and earn them money, I suppose maintenance costs won't be that high and they can keep the game online for quite a while.

Basically they need some other way to make money, besides selling Mordhau copies. Could be a different game, paid cosmetics, gold for money, anything.

Knight 7768 14309
  • 23 Sep '19
 ToLazy4Name

have you ever heard of dlc or expansion packs?

111 97
  • 23 Sep '19
 BOBOLOJOE

they have updates coming, just a bit slowly.
the more content the release over time the more sales they make over time.

people who bought the game and have stopped playing because they no longer enjoy it or are playing something else is fine also thats the nature of gaming.

i don't play as often as i did now but i often get the hankering for some violence or only have 20mins spare to play something i can jump right into a choice of a few full to the brim servers for some chaotic fun and have no plans to uninstall this game as i still find it extremely fun... but this niche is perfect for me, i was die hard chivalry player and until there are more games with this style of combat then i won't be going anywhere.

if the game looses even more people then the dedicated community ramps up and there will be certain days and times to play and the community will be even better to play with/against so no problems here

80 34
  • 23 Sep '19
 DEADSY

Would pay 10 shekels for a fucking flail

7 3

double post

7 3

It's got a really steep learning curve and it doesn't help that new player is gonna get thrown in with the same person that has hundreds of hours here and thousands on chivalry. I'm 100 hours played and still have to play my ass off to have a positive KDR in frontline.

I'll watch the really good players on twitch and I understand what they're doing but I struggle to pull it off myself. I want to get good at this game but it can be really frustrating and disheartening sometimes.

Also Classic WoW came out less then a month ago so I'm guessing all fantasy/medieval games are gonna take a dip for a while. I myself just started playing Mordhau again a few days ago.

109 129

@ToLazy4Name said:
have you ever heard of dlc or expansion packs?

Question : if they add DLC packs for cosmetics/new weapons, should you have to buy the DLC and then buy the cosmetic/weapon with gold ?

154 226
  • 24 Sep '19
 Shitscrubber64

@Tr0gledyte said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

They need a way to generate income from the remaining core playerbase in the future, or else it will die. Then again, with a small playerbase and very few patches because they have other projects to work on and earn them money, I suppose maintenance costs won't be that high and they can keep the game online for quite a while.

Basically they need some other way to make money, besides selling Mordhau copies. Could be a different game, paid cosmetics, gold for money, anything.

Mate honestly I can't speak for everyone, but I know personally I'm outta here if Triternion has the nerve to start selling DLC because "they need money" after releasing only one new map, two weapons and a rushed gamemode despite selling 5+ million game copies. Dunno what kind of mass cocaine addiction they're fuelling with all that revenue but I don't feel comfortable encouraging it any further.

Development is slow because just like with Chivalry, players don't stick around after the first few hours and new players are rare. Triternion understandably is not going to work overtime to add amazing new features when they know it's not gonna magically bring players back. It costs more to add stuff to Mordhau than they get out of it. I don't blame them for toning development down "a little" but it does suck for people who still expect a steady stream of content patches. It also means adding $$$ cosmetics is about the most insulting thing they could do at this point.

1749 1793
  • 24 Sep '19
 SWSeriousMike

It's dead in the "if you are undecided you better wait" sense. Not dead in the "nobody is playing anymore" sense.

No reason to waste your money now.

111 97
  • 24 Sep '19
 BOBOLOJOE

if you truly are a fan of medieval battles then you don't care if you are are good or not because even dying and just being on the battlefield is a fun experience IMO

you are always going to be better than someone else, and there is always someone better than you... that's life

tired of these entitled millennial's who think they should get an award for participating or deserve some kind of reward for being