Mordhau

Dear devs, all we need is a gamemode that will NOT put such a heavy emphasis on everything worst about Mordhau

Knight 928 2545
  • 22 Sep '19
 Pred

Duels are all about animation rape and mechanical cheese, so they will never attract a wide audience and can't be a main cog for this game.

Frontline is an oversized spamfest, packed with every kind of annoying shit known to man.

Invasion is the same as Frontline, in some map areas maybe even spammier, shittier and more annoying.

Battle Royale was a gimmick and died a well deserved death. TDM/FFA/SKM are niche modes that most people don't find very interesting.

Before Invasion was available, Marox said devs are looking into a more "focused" mode, so I thought that means a mode that will be more about smaller-scale melee and less about RNG deaths, breathing projectile-filled air and being bombarded, trampled and set on fire at every step while fighting off 25 opponents on Bloodlust, but it turned out it only meant progressive objectives? Can't we just have a 16v16 chillout mode for fighting?

404 604
  • 22 Sep '19
 smug

Make the official servers 24man

161 230
  • 22 Sep '19
 Shitscrubber64

I don't know why you're so quick to discard TDM/Skirmish. From your description of what a more "focused" gamemode should revolve around those two modes sound like what you're looking for.

@smug said:
Make the official servers 24man

This so much though, here in EU all FL/Invasion servers are 64p fuckfests. And even if at some point of the day there are only a few players in the server, the gamemode still spawns a ton of horses as if there ARE 64 connected players.

Knight 928 2545
  • 23 Sep '19
 Pred

@Shitscrubber64 said:
I don't know why you're so quick to discard TDM/Skirmish. From your description of what a more "focused" gamemode should revolve around those two modes sound like what you're looking for.

I'm looking for a mode that would stop the player bleed and extend this game's lifespan, SKM and TDM have been dead almost from the start and just lack potential for that.

156 84
  • 23 Sep '19
 NoYou

Bigger maps with more spread out objectives that don’t funnel everybody into a clusterfuck chokepoint.

124 44
  • 23 Sep '19
 Tr0gledyte

They can't split up the servers into different player counts. This would divide the playerbase which becomes problematic as it shrinks. If they reduce the play count it has to be universal.

I agree many maps have ridiculous choke points. Taiga red spawn, Mountain Peak red spawn, grad red spawn, camp blue spawn all come to mind.

In real life, fortifications served as a force multiplier.. In Mordhau they're a death trap because they have open entrances, like come on.. did you not see that coming??

Either widen the entrances / increase the amount of entrances OR allow defenders to close them so attackers need to climb ladders to get up there. At that point the team on the defense is bleeding tickets anyway so it doesn't hurt to make it incredibly hard to get in their spawn.

3 1
  • 24 Sep '19
 StacysMom

Rob the nest mode. Four or five small teams fight for bags of gold or something at eachothers bases

95 102
  • 24 Sep '19
 Xanith

add all the gamemodes to the quickplay menu so people actually know about/play them

and make them 24man so individual skill matters more and it's not just 30 orangutans swinging zweis around on both teams

Knight 928 2545
  • 24 Sep '19
 Pred

@Xanith said:
and make them 24man so individual skill matters more and it's not just 30 orangutans swinging zweis around on both teams

Yeah, but ape warfare meta is a balance problem, not gamemode problem. Even in 16p TDM, when Mauls/Execs/Waraxes/Zweis reach critical mass there is nothing else you can do but go OOOGA BOOOGA LETS SWING AND HOPE IT CATCHES SOMETHING like everyone else.

111 97
  • 24 Sep '19
 BOBOLOJOE

copy paste the chivalry maps

1260 1939

@Pred said:
Duels are all about animation rape and mechanical cheese, so they will never attract a wide audience and can't be a main cog for this game.

Frontline is an oversized spamfest, packed with every kind of annoying shit known to man.

Invasion is the same as Frontline, in some map areas maybe even spammier, shittier and more annoying.

Battle Royale was a gimmick and died a well deserved death. TDM/FFA/SKM are niche modes that most people don't find very interesting.

Before Invasion was available, Marox said devs are looking into a more "focused" mode, so I thought that means a mode that will be more about smaller-scale melee and less about RNG deaths, breathing projectile-filled air and being bombarded, trampled and set on fire at every step while fighting off 25 opponents on Bloodlust, but it turned out it only meant progressive objectives? Can't we just have a 16v16 chillout mode for fighting?

I think map overhaul is the big thing. 24v24 is cool and all but what if we got the same effect by spreading out objectives and allowing different builds to shine in different scenarios... and skill to be more important than 50 spamming zwei, messer gorrillas.

Rant incoming:

Also, more roles in the maps for the lighter load outs. Yeah, fuck rapier noobs, but they can't really do much but go for K/D and be annoying and get farmed when they actually try to contribute. Try playing 1/1/1 Rapier on Grad Invasion, it looks great for running around back stabbing the peasants in the first objective, but that same 1/1/1 load out was better off bringing a zwei or halberd and fighting off the respawning enemies. The sheer number of enemies makes shining as a skilled light load out with one hander hard because of the objectives themselves and map layouts. You kill someone, fight another and the first guy has now re-spawned to assail you again.

Using pretty much any one handed weapon short of messer or HHA is getting spammed from the front by enemies and then getting spammed from the back by allies. Kick is too strong in 1vX against one hander and we're not even talking about shields yet. (Don't worry I won't talk about shields in this thread.) Don't bother with a side arm, unless you're gonna throw it, because one handers are almost as useless as 2handers in tight quarters because they still snag on walls and you have to stab anyways. 2hander stabbing > 1hander stabbing in pretty much any hallway or chokepoint.

Also, archery damage feels too strong to me. Would rather we go back to low archer damage but with faster projectile speed so they shoot better and hit allies less while requiring consistency to do steady DPS and contribute to the team. Archery right now is just some opportunistic archer stealing kills on people who just got hit by a maul or some other 2hander and then switching to cleaver to spam some hapless knight who thought he could get the drop on some archer.

Horses vs Horse and Horse vs Infantry are both just ping contests, like a rapier vs rapier chamber duel. 40 ping your lance will always hit first, 80 ping and a Baxe side step while leaning back may very well beat lance. 120 ping can only catch infantry from behind who have the sound glitch and can't hear you coming from behind... or simply don't have the hours to side step one shot you yet with any 2hander. I see alot of horses simply going unused this patch... Everyone would now rather camp the horsemen with spears/zwei in the center of Crossroads... than to use a horse to rack up kills like before. What if we game horses a better role than being spear lawnmowers that are doomed the minute they actually engage alert or skilled opponents.

Why are there even fire bombs except to make light load outs more annoying and promote trolling/team kill? They at least take out engineer spam but so shouldn't a Baxe?

Why does heavy hand axe reverse grip allow builders to rebuild their constructions while simultaneously stabbing and 2htk thwacking fully armored assailants? What a meme. Heavy handaxe engineers are the only occasion I find engineers take fun out of the game... besides spawn trolls ofc. Otherwise engineers were well done all things considered... BUT PLEASE REMOVE REVERSE HHA repair.

36 61
  • 27 Sep '19
 Mojique

@NoYou said:
Bigger maps with more spread out objectives that don’t funnel everybody into a clusterfuck chokepoint.

Chokepoints are an actual meme. There are so many ways in and out of all places of every map that comes to mind, but just because there is a clear path of least resistance, lemming mentality forces everyone to the front doors rather than looking anywhere else.

Let's take Mountain Peak. Blue's pushed the cart to the archway along the wall. How does Red get out and recap the point? Starting from Red's left, you can:

• Climb up the ladder, run all the way out, or drop down
  • Run through the hall
  • Hop out of the hall windows
  • Go through the cart gateway
  • Climb the stairs and mantle over the wall almost all along it
  • Climb to the top of the tower and jump onto the archway over the cart gateway
  • Leave by the ammo box
  • Climb up onto the Stable by mantling from either the Ammo Box or the logs or parkouring from the rock on the right spawn
    There's zero reason you should be stuck inside Red base unless Blue is already inside and you're dealing with them. Similarly, for blue to push inward, they can, starting from their left;
  • Jump over the wall onto the stable from the rockside
  • Jump onto the wheels and hop over the wall to the ammo box
  • Enter through the gate right by the ammo box
  • Parkour from the rocky middle-ground between gates onto the wheels and hop onto the wall under the tower
  • Enter through the cart pass
  • Jump onto the roof of the hallway, walk across the arch, jump into the scaffolding of the archer tower, or just jump down from there
  • Enter through the hallway
  • Do sick mountainclimbing

That's plenty of ways to approach one objective, but let's talk about the thickest of the thick, the most dense, hardy, chokeyest chokepoint of them all: Grad Invasion tower-hiding Commander. It's a thick clusterfuck, but it can be whittled down through creative use of equipment and an even spread of invaders.

There are five ways you can enter the tower; the front door (facing red's side of the wall), the back door (facing blue spawn), the ground floor door, the dungeon ladder, and the roof. Many people don't think about the ladder, but to whittle away at the engineer buildings at the top of a ladder or nip at the heels of anyone standing above it is a great argument for onehanded weapons. A lot of people don't know that you can use the game's climbing system to jump from the ramparts to the top of the gazebo and then onto the tower. It's criminal that they don't and you should exploit this at every opportunity in order to beat a lesson into their head, for this I recommend two firebombs and a maul to bust open whatever fortifications and heads were setup there. It's a shame that you can't beat this lesson into the heads of your teammates. The backdoor is the riskiest because usually, that implies running in front of Blue spawn or straight through the courtyard. If you had Cat, you could probably take the roof route and then just check on out the other side.

Chokepoints in this game are a social problem of people not willing to explore the map and take the many alternate routes the map already has. If people coordinated, chokepoints would form an even, wide line of battle, but because people go to where people go because people are there, we can't have nice things and we dig our own grave.

1260 1939

@Mojique said:

@NoYou said:

Chokepoints are an actual meme. There are so many ways in and out of all places of every map that comes to mind, but just because there is a clear path of least resistance, lemming mentality forces everyone to the front doors rather than looking anywhere else.

Let's take Mountain Peak. Blue's pushed the cart to the archway along the wall. How does Red get out and recap the point? Starting from Red's left, you can:

• Run through the hall
  • Leave by the ammo box
  • Climb up onto the Stable by mantling from either the Ammo Box or the logs or parkouring from the rock on the right spawn
    There's zero reason you should be stuck inside Red base unless Blue is already inside and you're dealing with them. Similarly, for blue to push inward, they can, starting from their left;
  • Parkour from the rocky middle-ground between gates onto the wheels and hop onto the wall under the tower
  • Jump onto the roof of the hallway, walk across the arch, jump into the scaffolding of the archer tower, or just jump down from there

That's plenty of ways to approach one objective, but let's talk about the thickest of the thick, the most dense, hardy, chokeyest chokepoint of them all: Grad Invasion tower-hiding Commander. It's a thick clusterfuck, but it can be whittled down through creative use of equipment and an even spread of invaders.

There are five ways you can enter the tower; the front door (facing red's side of the wall), the back door (facing blue spawn), the ground floor door, the dungeon ladder, and the roof. Many people don't think about the ladder, but to whittle away at the engineer buildings at the top of a ladder or nip at the heels of anyone standing above it is a great argument for onehanded weapons. A lot of people don't know that you can use the game's climbing system to jump from the ramparts to the top of the gazebo and then onto the tower. It's criminal that they don't and you should exploit this at every opportunity in order to beat a lesson into their head, for this I recommend two firebombs and a maul to bust open whatever fortifications and heads were setup there. It's a shame that you can't beat this lesson into the heads of your teammates. The backdoor is the riskiest because usually, that implies running in front of Blue spawn or straight through the courtyard. If you had Cat, you could probably take the roof route and then just check on out the other side.

Chokepoints in this game are a social problem of people not willing to explore the map and take the many alternate routes the map already has. If people coordinated, chokepoints would form an even, wide line of battle, but because people go to where people go because people are there, we can't have nice things and we dig our own grave.

I think you're partiallly correct. Yeah people are retards and follow the herd but going the side ways take too long...and pointless if you're not good enough to fight off several people solo. Side routes are often exposed to archers or respawning enemies. It takes alot of skill (and patience) to use these flanks, particularly on Grad, to survive the journey and have enough juice to do some damage.

Why go the very long side way when you could just grab full T3, messer, fireproof and hack through the main chokepoint? I would argue Grad is actually one of the only well-set maps in regards to alternate path ways being viable.

I would argue that mob mentality isn't to blame but the fact that anything that isn't T3 with messer or Zwei/Halberd is simply inferior; that the maps don't provide enough side routes that aren't exposed to archers or respawning enemies (in a 64p game); and the maps don't spread out/vary objectives enough to allow a spread out battle where different types of builds can shine in different areas.

404 604
  • 27 Sep '19
 smug

just some opportunistic archer stealing kills on people who just got hit by a maul or some other 2hander and then switching to cleaver to spam some hapless knight who thought he could get the drop on some archer.

That speaks a lot more to weapon balance + general gameplay fuckery than archery.

156 84
  • 27 Sep '19
 NoYou

Maybe take some inspiration from Battlefron 2. Battlefront 2 does this well with 20 v 20 and focused objectives. The maps aren’t as funneling.

1260 1939

@smug said:

just some opportunistic archer stealing kills on people who just got hit by a maul or some other 2hander and then switching to cleaver to spam some hapless knight who thought he could get the drop on some archer.

That speaks a lot more to weapon balance + general gameplay fuckery than archery.

Maybe. I hate archers but objectively speaking, I don't think they should be nerfed into the ground. I just think that they should be allowed to be more accurate with faster projectile speed but decreased damage. 4 shots against T3 instead of the current 3 shots or 2 shots if you land head shots by longbow.

Crossbow should be the only bow fucking up knights at close range due to damage.

I also think they should be able to kick with the bow equipped. I also think cleaver shouldn't exist.

17 29
  • 29 Sep '19
 Khakedais

I'd never and will never jump on a 24 player server tbh

Sellsword 786 2336
  • 30 Sep '19
 Goof

@Pred said:

@Shitscrubber64 said:

I'm looking for a mode that would stop the player bleed and extend this game's lifespan, SKM and TDM have been dead almost from the start and just lack potential for that.

Capture the flag

Official jousting mode(with or without RPG spectators.

Full scale medieval tournament mode with all areas of competition, melee, archery and jousting ect...

Just a few things they could look at adding.

201 402
  • 1 Oct '19
 serbish

unless the alternate routes are 5 meters wide with flashing signposts people will not see them and continue following the big crowd to their death slowly chipping away at the objective and beating their heads against the enemy respawn timer until the next objective appears. for a game with such a deep combat system ive never seen such a disregard for basic positioning and battle tactics in all my life. watching the overhead map actually looks like something from a .io game

24p servers are needed, to force people in to a tactical mindset, aswell as stable performance for everyone

5 1
  • 21 Oct '19
 Aliwonym

@Mojique said:

@NoYou said:

• Run through the hall
  • Leave by the ammo box

I totally agree about your recommendation to use two firebombs and a maul in order to bust open. My brother also tries to use maul to control the attack. Last time he sent me the link that helped me to identify the fact that maul is better than, for example, warhammer. After reading this article I know that maul is super easy to use. I can leave the link of the article here: https://cozyhousetoday.com/maul-vs-warhammer/ It's useful one, actually.