Mordhau

Castle seiges and destructable castles on future maps with UE 4.23 update

155 104

Unreal Engine's 4.23 update made destructable castles and seiges even more of a possibility in the future.

I'd love to see these features implemented in maps with a Castle Seige mode in the future, where castle walls may be breached and destroyed with seige towers,
battering rams, catapults and trebuchets, as well as a king the enemy team must reach and capture or kill.

The beauty of this would be the map and castle destruction would be dynamic and different each time. Every time you play the game you could have a different experience seiging the castle by breaching a different area.

Link for update highlighting destructable environments with unreal engine 4.23

2 0

Honestly that would look amazing, but I don't think it'll make it into the game. Just imagine the huge CPU impact simulating so much psychics would do.

30 19
  • 27 Sep
 Cracksmith

That'd kill every low end computer in a 500 mile radius if it was implemented, and would make even the beefiest of computers start to chug. It's not likely to work out for a while. Maybe in the next five years when computers are more advanced.

728 548
  • 27 Sep
 esturias

@Cracksmith said:
That'd kill every low end computer in a 500 mile radius if it was implemented, and would make even the beefiest of computers start to chug. It's not likely to work out for a while. Maybe in the next five years when computers are more advanced.

You obviously don't have to implement that 1:1, it's about the basic mechanics. Imagine that scene with 90% less dynamic fragments/particles/fancy stuff and you would still have interesting gameplay.

6 2
  • 29 Sep
 Ciuy

they cant buy some decent servers and you want more workload for their Pentium III, Windows 2000 Wooden severs?:)

146 69
  • 30 Sep
 NoYou

I can’t handle 64 player servers properly let alone destructable physics or whatever, maybe as an option in graphics settings if you want it, otherwise no.

14 15
  • 30 Sep
 Bluhman

There's ways to optimize terrain destruction to make it accessible to most systems running a game - it probably won't look as spectacular as it does in that demo, but it'd still be possible - I mean, the maps in Minecraft are fully-destructible for instance, and something tells me that some of the design principles that guided Fortnite were also part of implementing this. The big issue is representing that game world or map in a way that's able to account for that destruction, and in the case of a non-voxel-based game, actually making it look realistic.

The demo shown up there also doesn't detail how it's actually being done in the context of UE either: maps in UE can be built out of a combination of static or dynamic models, as well as Binary Space Partitions (which are great for basic level structure layout, but only allow for really rudimentary polygonal shapes, meaning it's only really good for artificial/modern things. I don't think there's a single map in Mordhau that uses BSPs). If it's mainly for BSPs, that's not going to help much, and if it's for static meshes then that's still extra work that's needed to detail how those assets will break apart, what they look like inside, and so forth.
In fact, going a bit more in-depth about how exaclty this is done from Epic's own documentation on the SDK reveals some of the work it takes to actually construct items to work with the Chaos tools.
(It's also for UE 4.23 while, from what I've gleaned from modding guides for Mordhau, this game's strictly built on engine version 4.20.)

So that said, this is one of those game features that would either need to be accounted for in the core of the game's features, or worked on for a significant amount of time, which makes me think it's something for a different game to expand on instead.

728 548
  • 30 Sep
 esturias

@NoYou said:
I can’t handle 64 player servers properly let alone destructable physics or whatever, maybe as an option in graphics settings if you want it, otherwise no.

Ehm. If you look closely, it should be obvious that this isn't just about some fancy graphics...