Mordhau

Duels: Armor vs. Speed

124 44
  • 16 Sep
 Tr0gledyte

I promise this is my last topic this week lol.

Not counting Maul headshots:

With a 3-3-2 setup, I'm generally a 2 or 3HTK for my opponent depending on the weapon they use. Rarely 4HTK.

With a 2-1-1 setup, I'm always at least a 2HTK, rarely 3HTK.

All that extra armor gives me room to take 1 extra hit (or not, depending on my opponent's weapon), but really slows me down. 2-1-1 offers much faster movement speed and points to spare for perks (maybe use Flesh Wound for extra cheese, lol).

Which do you prefer? Does 2-3-1 as an inbetween option have merit? Against weapons that are 2HTK regardless, 2-1-1 seems like a much better option. Although one could argue that this opens up 2HTK situations (such as hitting the torso and then the legs) that would otherwise be 3HTK.

93 109

I wish this game increased the hits to kill by 1 for pretty much all weapons/armor.

1158 1813

I use 2-1-1 on a few classes but in FL I want 3/3/3 due to the random nature of friendly fire, archery, flanks, cavalry etc. My 2-1-1 loadouts just dont stand too well in the chaos of FL and especcially since I'm a high ping player who suffers red parries often.

2/3/1 has merit but I'd sooner go 2/3/2 since an extra layer of leg protection doesnt weigh you down too much and is definitely worth it.

124 44

@DefendinMyBase said:
I wish this game increased the hits to kill by 1 for pretty much all weapons/armor.

I agree. Stamina would need a buff too, otherwise everyone is just going to exhaust themselves before winning a fight.

But a little more survivability (essentially the buffing of all armor) would be nice. It would make duels longer and less RNG-based, and increased survivability in Frontline sounds more fun. Right now you can wear 3/3/3 armor and still be a 2HTK for some weapons (Eveningstar alt mode is retarded, nerf the stab damage for the love of god), or even 1HTK for a maul headshot.

@Lionheart Chevalier said:
I use 2-1-1 on a few classes but in FL I want 3/3/3 due to the random nature of friendly fire, archery, flanks, cavalry etc. My 2-1-1 loadouts just dont stand too well in the chaos of FL and especcially since I'm a high ping player who suffers red parries often.

2/3/1 has merit but I'd sooner go 2/3/2 since an extra layer of leg protection doesnt weigh you down too much and is definitely worth it.

Hm.. wouldn't 3-3-1 be better than 2-3-2? At the very least, you get to use that epic Italian t3 helmet that looks like something from Star Wars. :p

Either way it's only 1 point less than 3-3-2, which I consider full armor (I think t3 leg armor almost never offers a noticeable bonus), so the speed bonus is small. 2-3-1 really is noticeably faster than 3-3-2.

46 17
  • 17 Sep
 norshin

Is anyone using 1/2/2? I ended up with this because I want a lvl 2 chest but using lvl 2 helmet slows you down too much, unless you go unarmored legs, which I don't like either.

Looking at stats, it's always the most hits on chest, head and lastly legs, in that order. The numbers speak against it, but I've been more successful with 1/2/2 than 2/2/2. Maybe it's just speed that is too good.

Edit: the topic is duels, I was talking frontline. Sorry

312 244
  • 17 Sep
 LoPan

double post

312 244
  • 17 Sep
 LoPan

@LoPan said:
3/3/3 w second wind

Or

3/3/2 w second wind

I don’t really run anything else except 3/3/2 ES w no perks on occasion.

9 7

Real big brain play is having an armor setup to counter each weapon, maximizing speed and HTK... Personally I don't care enough and just go heavy armor, still plenty of footwork possible in facehug range

124 44

@Double Jesus said:
Real big brain play is having an armor setup to counter each weapon, maximizing speed and HTK... Personally I don't care enough and just go heavy armor, still plenty of footwork possible in facehug range

I have 8 different setups and for some reason the game thinks it's a good idea to put my current setup at the top, sometimes forcing me to scroll to switch setups. Problem is the game only gives you 3 seconds to switch, and when the 3 second timer runs out it kicks you out of the selection screen for no reason (after all, you can access it during a fight anyway). At that point the duel has already started and you don't have enough time to try again.

So switching setups to counter your opponent may take a few tries and isn't reliable.. wish they would fix this. Not kicking people out of the selection screen when the 3 second timer runs out would already be good enough.

133 104

Armour doesn't really change much in terms of game play for me. I do as well with 1-2-0 as I do with my 3-3-3

Dad Sizzle

124 44

@Pandamansleep said:
Armour doesn't really change much in terms of game play for me. I do as well with 1-2-0 as I do with my 3-3-3

Dad Sizzle

That doesn't make sense.. for example a Mace, Maul or Eveningstar is always 2HTK, so a 3-3-3 setup just slowls you down and you should do significantly better with a 2-1-1 setup. For duels I have specific armored setups (3-3-2) and "anti blunt" setups (2-1-1). I also use 2-1-1 against the executioner's sword because it's 2HTK regardless. The extra speed is very significant.

I also have "medium" 2-3-1 setups although I rarely use them. They are also significantly faster than 3-3-2 and it lets you use Flesh Wound along with a 7-point weapon but alert opponents will go for the head/legs. And yeah, Flesh Wound is cheesy but other people use it, so even though I think it has no place in duels, I use it too because I have points to spare anyway and won't put myself at an unnecessary disadvantage.

In Frontline I'd say armor has extra value due to the chaotic swings (from friendlies as well) and archers.

133 104

@Tr0gledyte said:

@Pandamansleep said:

Dad Sizzle

That doesn't make sense.. for example a Mace, Maul or Eveningstar is always 2HTK, so a 3-3-3 setup just slowls you down and you should do significantly better with a 2-1-1 setup. For duels I have specific armored setups (3-3-2) and "anti blunt" setups (2-1-1). I also use 2-1-1 against the executioner's sword because it's 2HTK regardless. The extra speed is very significant.

I also have "medium" 2-3-1 setups although I rarely use them. They are also significantly faster than 3-3-2 and it lets you use Flesh Wound along with a 7-point weapon but alert opponents will go for the head/legs. And yeah, Flesh Wound is cheesy but other people use it, so even though I think it has no place in duels, I use it too because I have points to spare anyway and won't put myself at an unnecessary disadvantage.

In Frontline I'd say armor has extra value due to the chaotic swings (from friendlies as well) and archers.

What I meant was that my performance is the same. Sorry for wording it a bit weirdly

Dad Sizzle