Mordhau

So what's the point of secondary weapons?

74 22
  • 11 Sep
 Tr0gledyte

In duels, if you're disarmed, your character switches to fists and your opponent can easily get another, usually lethal swing in before you're able to switch to another weapon. Even if you do manage to switch on time, you have to parry the incoming swing, being disarmed again. Punching works better.

So what's the point..? I carry a cleaver into duels and sometimes it confuses opponents or I can throw it and get some damage in but it's mostly a gimmick.

90 78
  • 11 Sep
 SushiFish

You already pointed out one way a secondary weapon can be used. A faster weapon you can use to either finish or throw your opponents off.

And like you said how it is pointless since the opponent will always get in an hit after you are disarmed, but should you survive that hit, a secondary will let you parry the next blow or fight back. Where as if you are struck with your fists, then you are essentionally defenceless.

You can also catch your weapon mid-air, but that's not consistent.

74 22

@SushiFish said:
You already pointed out one way a secondary weapon can be used. A faster weapon you can use to either finish or throw your opponents off.

And like you said how it is pointless since the opponent will always get in an hit after you are disarmed, but should you survive that hit, a secondary will let you parry the next blow or fight back. Where as if you are struck with your fists, then you are essentionally defenceless.

You can also catch your weapon mid-air, but that's not consistent.

But you have 0 stamina. If you parry a hit with your secondary weapon you just get disarmed again, situation remains the same. From my experience you're better off punching them in the face, I actually won a few duels that way. They were below 30 health and you can't parry a punch, being disarmed helped me win lol..

Maybe they should change the Second Wind perk to where you regen 25% of your stamina when you're disarmed. That might make it useful. After all, it's called "Second Wind".

46 13

You get a small boost of stamina upon being disarmed, I think somewhere between 20-30? Having a secondary is definitely more useful since you're at least able to parry after being disarmed and buy you time to either land a kick and gain some breathing room to recover stamina.

You're pretty much screwed with just your fists, 1 parry from the enemy and you're dead. Sure you can still clinch a win with it every once in a while but against most decent opponents it's a death sentence.

71 49
  • 11 Sep
  Seymour

I keep one for throwing. Sometimes I throw my primary and then go to my secondary. Its useful for when people swing and miss, but are too far for you to reach otherwise. Also useful to take out people running away.

Knight 41 35

You can parry and chamber punches mate. And you get a small stam boost when disarmed, so your next parry shouldn't disarm you right after.

35 31
  • 11 Sep
 Kashi

In frontline a secondary can be good for close quarters fighting (like you have a messer and swap to arming sword for both speed and better thrusts in cramped teamfight situations

In duel it might serve a perpose to cover a primary weapons weakness

Knight 2229 4004
  • 11 Sep
 Runagate

When you get disarmed you get around 30 stam back. More than enough to turn the tide if you use it well.

74 22

@Runagate said:
When you get disarmed you get around 30 stam back. More than enough to turn the tide if you use it well.

OK I did not notice this. Reason is that they just combo me to death before I can even swap to my secondary in time.. I never actually got to the part where I was able to switch to a secondary and parry an attack. Swapping weapons takes too long unless you get lucky and the enemy doesn't attack after disarming you. If he does it's usually a killing hit.

35 31
  • 11 Sep
 Kashi

In frontline a secondary can be good for close quarters fighting (like you have a messer and swap to arming sword for both speed and better thrusts in cramped teamfight situations

In duel it might serve a perpose to cover a primary weapons weakness

71 66
  • 11 Sep
 The Bird

I always carry a dagger and it's saved me many a time during duels. Yes, you usually will get hit once when you're disarmed, but if you survive, a good secondary can give you a fighting chance.

Plus in FL or invasion you can drop it for a teammate, or as someone else said, use it in close quarters.

If neither of these things seem like a good enough reason, save points and don't use one. It really comes down to personal preference.

Count 785 3005

@Tr0gledyte
No one ever promised that just because you choose to fill an additional slot with a secondary weapon (instead of a utility item) that you'll be guaranteed to switch to it in time if you're disarmed.

Switching to a secondary is a band-aid to the actual underlying problem of poor stamina management which lead to being disarmed in the first place.

@The Bird
What is with this first person nonsense? "I" should not exist in The Bird's vocabulary.

The Lobster does not approve.

GETCLACKED

74 22
  • 13 Sep
 Tr0gledyte

@EatAtRedLobster said:
@Tr0gledyte
No one ever promised that just because you choose to fill an additional slot with a secondary weapon (instead of a utility item) that you'll be guaranteed to switch to it in time if you're disarmed.

Switching to a secondary is a band-aid to the actual underlying problem of poor stamina management which lead to being disarmed in the first place.

@The Bird
What is with this first person nonsense? "I" should not exist in The Bird's vocabulary.

The Lobster does not approve.

GETCLACKED

Sometimes it's not down to poor stamina management. If your opponent is constantly attacking you, giving you no room to regen, and his weapon has better stamina stats than yours, he can stomp you into being disarmed. You can't run away unless your opponent lets you.

Knight 2229 4004
  • 13 Sep
 Runagate

that just sounds like you being bad in general

and that absolutely is poor stamina management lol

74 22
  • 13 Sep
 Tr0gledyte

@Runagate said:
that just sounds like you being bad in general

and that absolutely is poor stamina management lol

It's easy to turn any duel into a stam duel. If your opponent forces you into it by being super aggressive there's nothing you can do.

Knight 2229 4004
  • 13 Sep
 Runagate

Be aggressive back, mix your shit up, stop playing defencively. Swing manipulation and footwork cost no stamina.

54 63

@Tr0gledyte said:
Sometimes it's not down to poor stamina management. If your opponent is constantly attacking you, giving you no room to regen, and his weapon has better stamina stats than yours, he can stomp you into being disarmed. You can't run away unless your opponent lets you.

Your opponent also consume stamina. If you get disarmed first, then either attack first or get a weapon with better stamina management.

Stamina is so important, it's one of the reasons using held shields isn't that great in duels and why many praise the Greatsword.

74 22

@Runagate said:
Be aggressive back, mix your shit up, stop playing defencively. Swing manipulation and footwork cost no stamina.

Swing manipulation.. lol. Any decent opponent will be able to parry everything you throw at him. Drag, accel, footwork, it all relies on your opponent making a mistake. And if they don't, it becomes a stam battle. No amount of footwork will let you get away from an opponent to regen stam if he doesn't want to.

It's like tic tac toe, if someone really wants to, they can force a "draw". I've seen people pick the Brawler perk and apply this strategy.

Knight 2229 4004
  • 1
  • 13 Sep
 Runagate

You heard him boys, drags are useless.

71 66
  • 13 Sep
 The Bird

@EatAtRedLobster said:
@Tr0gledyte
No one ever promised that just because you choose to fill an additional slot with a secondary weapon (instead of a utility item) that you'll be guaranteed to switch to it in time if you're disarmed.

Switching to a secondary is a band-aid to the actual underlying problem of poor stamina management which lead to being disarmed in the first place.

@The Bird
What is with this first person nonsense? "I" should not exist in The Bird's vocabulary.

The Lobster does not approve.

GETCLACKED

You are correct, Lobster. The Bird shall remember such things in the future. The Bird is grateful for the Lobster's feedback.

GETPEKT