Mordhau

Experimental Realism Mod

4 4
  • 11 Sep
 .FreaK.

Hello guys, before I start I have to say that I have no actual experience in modding and that everything I bring in this thread is just an idea I had for a long time. Maybe some of you might find this interesting and could imagine bringing it to the game as a mod.
Also notice that english in not my mother language and I appologize for my grammar. And my drawing skills...

The realism mode would contain the following things:

1. Damage based on hit angle.

sfgsdgsdf.jpg

The ammount of kinetic energy and damage you will deal to your opponent will be dependant on the hit angle. Means there will be critical strikes (sweet spots) where you might deal severe damage to your opponent and drain more stamina if they manage to parry it.
Is the angle bad, the damage will be reduced and might be completely negated. Weaker hits will barely cost any stamina to parry.
Keep in mind this will automatically nerf drags and accels as the damage output will be way too low. Riposts and Chambers, on the other hand, will benefit drags and accels.

2. Momentum based damage.
Just as you do bonus damage while moving on a horse, this mod will let you use the momentum from your movement on foot aswell. Means striking while standing still does overall less damage than moving towards your strike direction . The movement of your enemy will also effect the damage output of your strike. (Stabbing an enemy who is running up to you will punish him)
The bonus damage will be seen as a critical strike as i explained in "1.".

move strike.jpg

3. Weapon types and armor rework.
Killing a knight in plate armor with a few slashes of sword is not what you can call realism, so this needs a rework.
My idea to fix this would be to add movement restrictions for people in heavy armor while adding a bonus for light armored folks.
You will have to decide, whether you want to be slow and well protected against most types of weapons, or to move freely but get wounded pretty fast.
Heavy armor will make you lose stamina faster by almost everything you do. Light armor will be much more forgiving.

4. Sprint
You can walk, you can run, but you can not sprint... I would love to see another use for stamina in Mordhau.
Sprinting will add tons of new fuctions to the game. Whether its running away from a fight, catching someone trying to run away or just getting from A to B faster. Use your stamina wisely tho or someone might catch you out of breath.

5. Dropkicks
This is pretty much self explanatory. Sprinting up to someone while he is off guard and performing a risky dropkick to knock him down on the ground is not just useful in battles but also extrely fun. I would love to see that kind of stuff in Mordhau.

So these are the things that I came up with. I can imagine these will be very hard to implement, but I'm glad I could present my ideas on this forum.

Let me know what you guys think. Which of these ideas are your favorite/least favorite? I would love to hear some additional ideas and/or critisism.

106 124

The problem with momentum-based damage is that it requires almost a complete overhaul of most fundamental mechanics in order for it to work:

• Stab-focused weapons like Spear or Estoc become terrible if stab drags deal virtually no damage, as regular stabs are too easy to parry.
  • 1vX goes from already near impossible to nonexistent if a riposte target switch swing deals only 20 damage.
  • Weapons like Maul rely on swing manipulation to make up for poor feints.
Knight 334 777
  • 11 Sep
 AngelEyes

I like you ideas a lot buzz and would love to see them in action just for fun. Like Scrubber alluded to though is recognize the game would become extremely unbalanced. Like to the point half of the armory in the game becoming useless.

That shouldn't stop us from having fun with the idea though :D.

Maybe I can say more when I’m not on this dumb phone, but I reckon if drags were irrelevant in Mordhau you would have to almost take a M&B route:

You would have to tighten up parry boxes ALOT and basically make it fully directional parry, I also think you would have to speed up every weapon in the game exceptionally to compensate for removal of drags. Otherwise the game would become a slog quickly

33 62

realism mode:
you have been standing in front of the castle on grad for 2 months waiting for them to be starved out. you are taking a piss when a handgunner comes up to the ramparts and takes aim. you double over in pain, you have been shot in the taint. your wound mortifies and you die of the resultant blood poisoning in four days.

I'd still play tho

21 20

Interesting :)

I think the idea 5 (dropkick) could actually work nice in Mordhau.

As for the 3 (weapon types and armor rework). Armor type already influence speed movement. You haven't described the details enough. But this:
"Killing a knight in plate armor with a few slashes of sword is not what you can call realism"
actually, I'm afraid you wouldn't kill him even with 1000 slashes. You could kill him with one good stab, if you hit between two parts of armor, between plates. So, I'm afraid it crosses the border of realism, beyond which unfortunately any game cannot be fun due to technical limitation. Maybe in the future, when we have VR, some "gloves" instead of mouse and keyboard, bigger "screen" resolution... ;)

The 2 (momentum based damage). I think it could be implemented. But I'm afraid it would make the fight less interesting. It would strip us from the accels/drags. Current dodging with footwork wouldn't work... Maybe I'm wrong, but current lower level of realism makes the fight mechanic more interesting (given the technical limitations mentioned in previous paragraph).

As for 1 (hit angle), basically the same as with 2.
I myself was thinking about similar idea, but related to the weapon speed instead of its angle. I mean, in real life, when you wing a sword, it always accelerates, so at the beginning of release phase (swing), (what you marked as blue and green angles) it is relatively slow, so shouldn't do much damage until it gets more speed. Currently it sometimes looks funny when using maul you manage to hit someone standing almost behind you, kind of between windup and release phases (very early release). He dies, even though the speed of your maul was near zero at that moment. But I believe that just because you can do things like this, the game is more skill-based as it gives more viable options to perform.

EDIT:
I now noticed that this is rather a mod proposition, than modification of the core Mordhau.
So assuming it would be created by community, I would gladly try and play this experimental mechanic, why not :) (I just wouldn't want the Mordhau devs invest their time in such mod, at the moment)