Mordhau

Toolbox & Buildable Ballista

Conscript 183 471
  • 10 Sep
 Shovonem

Currently the best use of toolbox is the buildable ballista. Since it cost 8 points, it can be used as an archer like build. However, spending 8 points for building a bunch of spikes is really not worth it. There's no way to play a good hybrid builder melee build because of the cost. Ballista is the best use of 8 points.

I would suggest reducing toolbox cost to 5. However, adding a 3 point perk that allows toolbox user to build the buildable ballista. That way people who want to play 'builder archer' will have to spend 8 points like usual. However, toolbox having 5 points will allow players to play hybrid melee build that make spikes etc.

I would also suggest changing the way buildable ballista works. Currently they are VERY powerful if put in certain spots. I would suggest turning buildable ballista into 'stationary crossbow' that shoots crossbow bolts that are parryable. Perhaps decrease the rate of fire slightly.

Another suggestion is to reduce ammo capacity of toolbox to 4 instead of 6. That way, one engineer player would make less impact on battlefield. In addition, decrease the repair rate / increase weapon damage of structures so that if one player is destroying structure the damage is higher than the repair rate of engineer. It's because sometimes a engineeer can keep repairing from the other side of the structure and basically block the enemy because repair rate is faster than weapon damage.

54 63

You don't realize how strong spikes and walls are. Especially now that Invasion is out.

The reason Toolbox cost 8 is to precisely avoid those "hybrid melee" builds. Having the power to block off entire paths to the enemy team is strong, and that is nearly all you should be able to do.

90 78
  • 11 Sep
 SushiFish

Toolbox, a equipment worth half of your spending points in total, easily countered by one firebomb. It's just way too easy to deal with an engineer regardless of how they play because of how retarded fire bombs are versus their structures.

2 Points > 8 Points

54 63

I want to say "Smoke Bomb and Fireproof" but that's even more point in it. I did made posts about Toolbox before and pointed at how only one loadout works and the interaction against Firebombs.

But spikes and walls are fast and easy to build. It's fast destruction with fast building.

I'm part of the people that wanted Firebombs to cost 3 due to its versatility, but instead they got heavily nerfed against players and the 2 points vs 8 is still here.

What is being suggested here won't solve the problem as it simply transform it into a 2 vs 8 situation. Also :

@Shovonem said :
Currently [Balista] are VERY powerful if put in certain spots.

He's right but a single Firebomb can destroy it even if you have quick reflexes with your Smoke bomb. Remove Firebombs and good luck finding a potent counter to it.

32 15
  • 11 Sep
 Wilkham

For the firebomb just get a smoke bomb. It's easy. Plus people don't expect the firebomb to stop so they run into your spike.

Conscript 183 471
  • 12 Sep
 Shovonem

Additional suggestion:
Another suggestion is to reduce ammo capacity of toolbox to 4 instead of 6. That way, one engineer player would make less impact on battlefield. In addition, decrease the repair rate / increase weapon damage of structures so that if one player is destroying structure the damage is higher than the repair rate of engineer. It's because sometimes a engineeer can keep repairing from the other side of the structure and basically block the enemy because repair rate is faster than weapon damage.

54 63

@Wilkham said:
For the firebomb just get a smoke bomb. It's easy. Plus people don't expect the firebomb to stop so they run into your spike.

But that's an additional point to spend AND your third loadout slot is filled. True that it's 1 point to counter a 2 point weapon but you already spent 8 + repair weapon cost + Builder (or whatever the perk is called) + Fireproof. Toolbox technically cost 11 points with an additional 1 point for weapon at best. If you also use Friendly (because you don't want to kill your entire team with the Balista), you have at best 3 points for armor/other skills.

The high point cost of the Toolbox is a valid concern, but people are also underestimating how strong a good and well defended wall is.