Mordhau

Mordhau through the eyes of a noob

1 5

Yes, you read that title right, I am a noob at this game. This does not hinder me from enjoying it though; I love the armor, the voice acting, and just memeing around with friendly people I happen to duel against. As a new player, however, Mordhau can sometimes be discouraging to grind for, even if that sweet helmet you've been eyeing for days is only just a few gold pieces away. I understand that Mordhau is a game for the skilled, however that doesn't mean that only the skilled should enjoy it. With the pushes in the right directions though, Mordhau can prove to be an enjoyable game for noobs like me.

1. Map balances
    Crossroads in my opinion is one of those maps where if you aren't the team spamming the fire bombs, you're toast, literally. Chokepoints seduce barrages of fire bombs and serenade Death to come feast on the burnt corpses of the unfortunate knights/vikings. I like the idea of fighting for a central point to spice up the tempo of the game. I feel that it really changes the way players approach fighting for the objective, since it's a gorefest in the middle of the map. However, the potential of the map does not need to be hindered with chokepoints easily engulfed in flames.

2. Some weapon balances
    Mordhau allows us players to mix and match so many armor sets and weapons. You could be Templar rocking a giant war axe, a Spanish Conquistador charging in with a greatsword, or just be a bard and play sweet melodies amidst death and destruction. As a new player, I feel like some weapons could use some balance, because this freedom to mix and match may also create loadouts that can be unfair to fight against. I will admit that I am biased against rapier+shield users, but this doesn't mean that other weapons cannot be balanced. Of course I still want us, the players, to enjoy the loadouts we create for ourselves, but I also want to meet my enemies in the battlefield knowing that our weapons have their advantages and disadvantages, and not just advantages only.

3. Ping
    I have seen this topic discussed in the forums a lot, and I feel that this must be emphasized here. For a game that rewards you for timing counterattacks, parries, and ripostes right, high ping and lag will just leave you in a bloody mess after every fight. Of course there is always the presence of human error, wherein it is our mistakes that punishes us, and that's all right. Getting your timing wrong should punish you, but not lag and high ping. I have experienced duels wherein my enemy's stab connects even before his arm fully extends, or wherein my swings don't register because the enemy I was swinging at was already somewhere else. Yes, I am aware I am a noob and that my own timing may sometimes lead me to miss, but seeing that rapier stab connect even before it hits you is undeniable.

Mordhau, like any other game, has features we love, and some quirks that make us scratch our heads in disagreement. In spite of these issue I mentioned earlier, I salute the devs for working towards these problems one step at a time. Given enough time and effort, Mordhau can be a game that welcomes the young blood like me, but also still a game wherein the best of the best have a go at each other and let their blades sing.

31 29
  • 10 Sep
 Fred Dawes

Nice 3-point essay. 92% A-

1: Map balance continues to evolve with every patch. Crossroads in particular has seen tremendous improvement since patch 8.

2: As an advanced player, I feel like weapon balance is in a good spot. The devs are continuing to fine tune weapon profiles to widen gameplay dymanics at the competitive level. I agree that there are low-effort high-reward tactics that new players have trouble adapting to (rapier shield), but the best way to understand a system's weakness is to try it yourself and understand why you die.

3: People aren't perfect, and neither is ping. Mordhau, like many real time games, is best enjoyed at low-latencies. Higher pings create desynchronization between players and the server, which can be seen in warping animations and movement. Unfortunately, the internet is a complex and imperfect system, and high lag may get you killed. Not much can be done about it aside from playing the game at slower speed (server slomo) to compensate for high ping

68 59
  • 11 Sep
 Yadyoy

This game is fucked, leave while you can.

71 49
  • 11 Sep
  Seymour

@Yadyoy said:

If this game has shitty developers who were going to abandon it the way it is, yes it is fucked. However, this is far from the case. The developers are continuing to work on major updates even this long after its initial release, and it is obvious they don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

68 59
  • 11 Sep
 Yadyoy

@ Seymour said:

@Yadyoy said:

If this game has shitty developers who were going to abandon it the way it is, yes it is fucked. However, this is far from the case. The developers are continuing to work on major updates even this long after its initial release, and it is obvious they don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

I'd love to take your word for it, but so far I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe this game will turn around in a timely manner. We're getting content updates, but the game doesn't need content right now, it needs consistent balance changes until a happy medium is found. IDC about new maps because the same bs will be on them. They should be focusing all their efforts on balance for a competitive skill based setting, then after rigorous tweaking to bad mechanics, animations, etc. they can add new game modes and maps. And sure they do have people specifically for map design so let them work on that stuff while the main focus of the team is balancing the game in a timely manner. We went around two months with absolutely no updates, all we need are a few small hotfixes weekly. Crush needs to make a balance counsel containing some of the best players in the game, and then actually listen to them, let them vote on changes they'd all like to see and majority wins even if he votes against it.

Competition in Mordhau will carry the games popularity like it does all other esports, don't let this gem die like another poorly balanced arcade game. Why do people return to CS GO, Starcraft, dota, LoL, Quake, etc.

1339 1396

@ Seymour said:
The developers are continuing to work on major updates essential features even this long after its initial release, and it is obvious they don't plan on stopping finishing anytime soon.

Funny how it's just a matter of perspective at the moment.