Mordhau

Shield Balance X: Reloaded: The Final Solution

Knight 1269 3810
  • 13 Sep '19
 Frise

Don't bother. A million good solutions were suggested during the 2 years of alpha and Crush is too inept to try any of them. Give up, learn to accept that we're stuck with an idiot balancing the game, and wait for the competitive community to make a balance mod.

184 148
  • 13 Sep '19
 Cracksmith

@Atlas-D said:

@Cracksmith said:
imagine thinking 1 handed mace/bs is cancer lmao

I mean all the competitive players (which are better tthan you) agree that the bastard sword and most 1 handed weapons are unreadable and broken but ok keep being bad.

What, can't handle anything that isn't held with two hands? It's unreadable to you because all anyone ever uses are 2h weapons. People ought to branch out more, rather than just use great swords and zweihanders all day like total nerds. (Also, this is more of a nitpick than anything, but you should've added a comma after the "ok" there. (^: )

Knight 1269 3810
  • 13 Sep '19
 Frise

@Cracksmith said:

@Atlas-D said:

@Cracksmith said:

I mean all the competitive players (which are better tthan you) agree that the bastard sword and most 1 handed weapons are unreadable and broken but ok keep being bad.

What, can't handle anything that isn't held with two hands? It's unreadable to you because all anyone ever uses are 2h weapons. People ought to branch out more, rather than just use great swords and zweihanders all day like total nerds. (Also, this is more of a nitpick than anything, but you should've added a comma after the "ok" there. (^: )

Ah yes, the best players in the world are just dumb, you know more about the game than them, right?

113 133

@Frise said :
A million good solutions were suggested during the 2 years of alpha and Crush is too inept to try any of them.

Devil's advocate :

• A million good solution, where do you start ? So many ideas but so little time, where held shields might not be the priority.
  • What guarantees those are good solutions ? As far as we know, any solutions proposed here (including mine) can be absolutely awful.
Knight 1269 3810
  • 13 Sep '19
 Frise

@Quenquentthebabysitter said:
Devil's advocate :

• A million good solution, where do you start ? So many ideas but so little time, where held shields might not be the priority.

2 years is a lot of time.

• What guarantees those are good solutions ? As far as we know, any solutions proposed here (including mine) can be absolutely awful.

Common sense. Even if they didn't work, as a developer you have to try things to find the right answer. Even if none of them worked, they would all still be better than the idiotic, lazy way that Crush is attempting to balance shields. Handicapping their stamina does NOTHING to solve their fundamental issue, and kicks having more range against them is just copying the same useless idea that Tornbanner used to balance them (so much for being better than Tornbanner, right?).

Crush justifies health regen in comp by saying "health regen is good because it lets you regen". His incompetence is not even a discussion anymore.

184 148
  • 13 Sep '19
 Cracksmith

@Frise said:

@Cracksmith said:

@Atlas-D said:

@Cracksmith said:

Ah yes, the best players in the world are just dumb, you know more about the game than them, right?

I'm sorry, can you please show me where exactly the comp players were complaining about the bastard sword? I keep on hearing about these high level comp players, but they're nowhere to be seen. Hmm, it's almost like its easy to parry the weapons, you just don't have the reaction time to do so. It's okay, everybody has weapons that're tough to deal with. I always have fighting the war axe (y'know, the actually broken weapon that annihilates you if you get so much as scratched by it). :^)

1260 1938

My shield thread has devolved in to Bastard Sword discussion between South America's best player and some noob with 8 likes.

Shield Thread X: Reloaded: The Final Solution, Phase II: Part 1 "Crush Strikes Back" coming soon.

1756 1812
  • 13 Sep '19
 SWSeriousMike

@Cracksmith said:
I'm sorry, can you please show me where exactly the comp players were complaining about the bastard sword? I keep on hearing about these high level comp players, but they're nowhere to be seen. Hmm, it's almost like its easy to parry the weapons, you just don't have the reaction time to do so. It's okay, everybody has weapons that're tough to deal with. I always have fighting the war axe (y'know, the actually broken weapon that annihilates you if you get so much as scratched by it). :^)

E.g. in the last NA duel tournament and in Ren's parting words.
I don't think you will find the comp players in this forum a lot anymore. Just look above if you are curious why.

Knight 3305 6775
  • 13 Sep '19
 Bodkin

Most 1h weapons are fine tbh there's just a select few that are exceptional compared to their counterparts.

I promise you that if mace was more common youd see a lot more complaints about it than any rapier.

Bastard sword isn't as bad to fight as it was but its still pretty bonkers.

The heavy handaxe is on the edge of being broken as hell. I think it shouldn't be doing the same stab damage as a full sized polearm when its spike is a literal chode and a 3pt weapon. Other than that it's pretty fair for what it is now. Good slashes are fine.

2pt arming sword is pretty much better than Rapier, but thats more of a rapier bad problem than an arming sword problem. Rapier isn't unusably bad but it definitely isn't as good as the others. I mean hell cleaver and dagger are 3htk to heavy and 2htk medium head. Rapier can't do either of these things with comparable speed. I mean every other 4pt weapon is just better than Rapier really. Why would you ever pick Rapier over Bastard Sword or Short Spear unless you are like me and like how it looks? If Rapier was a bit longer and had better stab drags it would be a usable option at its price.

Tl;dr: bastard sword and Mace are both very good weapons and very difficult to deal with assuming a skilled user, but saying 1h in general is broken is really pushing it imo