Mordhau

Shield Balance X: Reloaded: The Final Solution

1059 1697

Oh I love how when I gamble kick a shield user and they're out of range... invisible kick tracers kick stun him anyways :D I'ts like hacking but the game has intentionally given me bonus kick range. :)

And man, if they have a blunt weapon just keep kicking because, even if they hit me or an ally, they will have to put the shield up due to blunt hit stop and then one of our kicks will get lucky. Not like he can hit more than one of us at a time.

FUCK! The mace shield guy put his shield away, now we have to actually read his attacks now and stop kicking like Kangaroo Jack.

I don't even bother with shields anymore myself, unless I'm using a lance. One handed bastard sword or mace are pretty cancerous and why should I nerf myself by paying points for a shield.

No really I get pretty good KD with one handed bastard sword as opposed to bastard sword paired with a shield. Messer is a different story though, it's prolly the only real FL weapon that's actually buffed by a shield. Maybe short spear too, since it's always out of range of kicks with an extra meter of invisible tracers.

I block arrows better with regular parry anyways, tired of pesky archers just shooting my face or legs anyways.

My point is: Shields should have to read where attacks are going like in Alpha patch 14/15 instead of getting an invisible forcefield that's magically weak to feet and runs out of stamina quickly. Why should a shield user have to run away at the sight of multiple opponents or put his shield away because he knows he'll get surrounded and kicked to death? Why do I, after spending points on a spear or Zweihander and light armor, have to run up and kick a shield or play stamina warfare... when I built my load out to play range.

Kick stun was invented by a caveman for cavemen.

Kickstun is gay.

Mercenary 73 70

u know just remove shields... ez shield fix

14 11

imagine thinking 1 handed mace/bs is cancer lmao

1059 1697

@Cracksmith said:

Imagine posting about shield balance

Knight 3284 6718
 Bodkin

@Cracksmith said:

Imagine being ignorant

Knight 1269 3804
  • 9 Sep
 Frise

Seriously what the fuck is even wrong with crush. At this point we gain nothing by reiterating the same points over and over again. Crush is unable to make the most obvious balance changes or try basic solutions. Hue just add more kick range and more stamina drain lol why make shields a viable tool with a different playstyle when we can make them either completely broken or completely useless?

7 10
  • 10 Sep
 PUR3IℂE

I wonder why shields don't have something like a lifebar, that, when it runs out of life, will breake.
Leaving you with the incredible weak 1h weapons.
Then you don't to make shields useless.

Playstyle: You can boost your defense, but you are on a timer.

Knight 2229 4004
  • 10 Sep
 Runagate

Remove held block

1339 1396

It's a casual game at heart. The delusion that duels would make it competitive is holding the game back.

Conscript 651 1456
  • 10 Sep
 ohshitsorry

@PUR3IℂE said:
I wonder why shields don't have something like a lifebar, that, when it runs out of life, will breake.
Leaving you with the incredible weak 1h weapons.
Then you don't to make shields useless.

Playstyle: You can boost your defense, but you are on a timer.

where'd all your likes go lazy

942 292

remove one handed Messer

106 124

@Antoniokontos said:
remove one handed Messer

I need it for Jack Sparrow roleplay

54 63

@Lionheart Chevalier said:
why should I nerf myself by paying points for a shield.

They hated him because he told them the truth.

Also, why don't we have block radius anymore on shield ? Did they make it match the parry radius of normal weapons ?

Back on topic. One of the main complaints I had was the difference in stamina negation for held shields. And, oh boy, it got even worse ! 10 for Heater and 11 for Kite ? If I don't want to lose in stam negation, I have to take the freaking Rapier or a 1 point 1 handed now. It's extended to 2 points weapons for Kite, but seriously what the hell. I take a Shield to compensate for having a 1 handed and get punished for this.

But now, if I don't want to feel a speed penalty, I have to wear 3/3/3 ? I use lower tier armor to access more expensive stuff and/or to increase my speed. This speed nerf doesn't make sense and everyone know it's only here to make kicking viable against low armor players and the ones using Dodge.

I want to say good job to the devs for making parry shields good, they are in a good spot. But there's a long way to go for held shields. And I think it's because of one problem : being able to hold block is pretty strong for 2 or 3 points.

So, before we do anything else, here's something to do first : increase the cost of held shields and remove some of the nerfs they got.
I would prefer to get something expensive and good rather than to get something cheap and useless. Because right now, if you find a held shield on the ground or in BR, you better off keep that on your back. Having held shields cost more points would leave a lager margin for balance. That way you can revert the stam negation and movement speed nerfs so that we get a reason to actually use the bloody things.

I understand more your point @Lionheart Chevalier on kick stuns now that I have more experience and game knowledge. It's stupid, but I still think kicking should be a good option against held shields by having a better range against them. As for legs hits on Heater, I agree they should be a thing, but 1 handed should match the Heater's block radius so we aren't getting useless downsides on something we spent points on.

1059 1697

Even if shields were good and didn't have all the intentional handicaps (I only found out about speed movement decrease today and that's gay,) a shield is constantly getting spammed by anyone with a longer weapon (everyone.)

Testing out invasion and my riposte is constantly getting drowned out by pokes even if I hit the people after they poke me. One hander obviously loses the trade war, especcially against multiple people. There's a reason messer is now the only solid FL shield pair for skilled players.

310 239
  • 10 Sep
 LoPan

double post

310 239
  • 10 Sep
 LoPan

“I take a shield to compensate for x.”

X=Being bad at parrying

54 63

Sorry if I revive a dead thread but I think this is important information.

@crushed said:

@Lionheart Chevalier said:
It does require tighter aim

This is incorrect, the blocking angles in the armory UI aren't used anymore since alpha and will be removed next patch. Shields, held and timed aswell as parry all have the same block/parry difficulty in terms of aiming

It does answer my concerns about blocking angles, but it does make the whole held block situation worse. The only difference between Heater and Kite is the stam negation. It's also the proof that, even if you try, leg hits are not possible.

1059 1697

This shield thread may die but this is only Phase I of the Final Solution.

133 167
  • 12 Sep
 Atlas-D

@Cracksmith said:

I mean all the competitive players (which are better tthan you) agree that the bastard sword and most 1 handed weapons are unreadable and broken but ok keep being bad.

31 29
  • 13 Sep
 Fred Dawes

Suggestion: heater / kite cost 4/5 respectively. Apply 3/3/3 movement only while raising shield, slightly lengthen 'recovery' lag from block to neutral