Mordhau

Why Mordhau is combat system flawed for new players.

32 15
  • 9 Sep
 Wilkham

This game is a huge improvement compared to Chivalry 1.
But the drag, the body feint, the way people are hiding some animation and everything.

Even after five hundred hours I put into this game, sometime there will be always something I cannot explain.
Attacks feel sometime unreadable but at the same time, making attack unreadable is a part of the skill.

This is what is wrong with the combat system, it is not rewarding, when I kill someone using jpeg or hiding stab drag I don't feel skilled, I feel like I'm actually exploiting something. Some weapons have totally unreadable animation like the War Axe for example, the combo with this things is just unreadable.

All these mechanic make the game clunky for beginners. Sometime I wonder how can someone have the patience for that.
Anyway, there only 4000 actives players left. And I think all of this skills based combat system has made most of the people just abandoned the game.
This and the repetitiveness of frontline is what made the people leave.

Most of the time I pass in Mordhau was in duel servers. Cause I enjoyed the combat system and how you could just express yourself with a variety of playstyles.

Overall I think the game have solid basis, but the lack of content and the frustration of the combat system (all the unreadable stuff) is what made the people quit.
So, I think they should get ride of all these unreadable bad animations some weapon have. Make the game more fluid and smooth.

I love everything in this game. But the lack of content with the declination of the players base make me really sad.
I'm open to criticism of course, tell me what you feel about the futur of Mordhau.

Mercenary 73 70

@Wilkham said:
This game is a huge improvement compared to Chivalry 1.
But the drag, the body feint, the way people are hiding some animation and everything.

Even after five hundred hours I put into this game, sometime there will be always something I cannot explain.
Attacks feel sometime unreadable but at the same time, making attack unreadable is a part of the skill.

This is what is wrong with the combat system, it is not rewarding, when I kill someone using jpeg or hiding stab drag I don't feel skilled, I feel like I'm actually exploiting something. Some weapons have totally unreadable animation like the War Axe for example, the combo with this things is just unreadable.

All these mechanic make the game clunky for beginners. Sometime I wonder how can someone have the patience for that.
Anyway, there only 4000 actives players left. And I think all of this skills based combat system has made most of the people just abandoned the game.
This and the repetitiveness of frontline is what made the people leave.

Most of the time I pass in Mordhau was in duel servers. Cause I enjoyed the combat system and how you could just express yourself with a variety of playstyles.

Overall I think the game have solid basis, but the lack of content and the frustration of the combat system (all the unreadable stuff) is what made the people quit.
So, I think they should get ride of all these unreadable bad animations some weapon have. Make the game more fluid and smooth.

I love everything in this game. But the lack of content with the declination of the players base make me really sad.
I'm open to criticism of course, tell me what you feel about the futur of Mordhau.

Didn't read the whole text i must say but i have to agree with the Topic. Combat System is kinda fucked by broken animations and unreadable attacks. Like if u watch high lvl Gameplay it's not about skill anymore. Surely both Players on Elite are skilled but it's most likely about who can cheese better.

Knight 644 987

Yeah some things could do with being turned down a notch. However making things too readable is also a problem as it will mean any decent player will be able to block everything consistantly, making fights even more of a stam war and taking longer. Top level players have already been complaining that it takes too long to kill players worse than them.

One thing I don't understand is that you (plus a few others I've seen) complain about the combat not being rewarding, what would make it rewarding? Because having completely readable animations and winning through stam attrition isn't very rewarding imo.

310 239
 LoPan

Game had just under 5k players on yesterday when I was on. 4-5k player online does not mean 4-5k active players overall. Also the data shows mordhau is still doing better than chiv and most other games of the genre in its first 6 months so I dunno why people keep saying this nonsense.

Nothing is unreadable. Difficult yes but but not completely unreadable. Skill curve should not be based on new players. Otherwise no one would stick around cause it would be pong lvl boring.

310 239
 LoPan

double post

49 20
  • 9 Sep
 DEADSY

LvL 25-45 are generally better now. Looks like the casuals are getting good.
And that's a good thing.

102 42
  • 9 Sep
 NoYou

@DEADSY said:
LvL 25-45 are generally better now. Looks like the casuals are getting good.
And that's a good thing.

Lol I’m lvl 18 and I can beat a lvl 40 frontliner no sweat. Mostly because having a low end pc means I can’t manage frontlines unless I turn my graphics down to 720p so I’d rather play smaller scale game modes, mostly duels. Who would have thought that having bad specs could lead to you getting better at the game.

310 239
  • 9 Sep
 LoPan

@NoYou said:

@DEADSY said:
LvL 25-45 are generally better now. Looks like the casuals are getting good.
And that's a good thing.

Lol I’m lvl 18 and I can beat a lvl 40 frontliner no sweat. Mostly because having a low end pc means I can’t manage frontlines unless I turn my graphics down to 720p so I’d rather play smaller scale game modes, mostly duels. Who would have thought that having bad specs could lead to you getting better at the game.

I’m lvl 131. Literally only started playing frontline 4 days ago w like 4-5 other clan mates. Guess duels till now was a good idea cause frontlines is cake ez.

46 13

I wish I was lvl 100 so I could get the gold armor =[

Lvl 41 right now and I doubt I have the time to commit to get to lvl 100

Conscript 150 273
  • 10 Sep
 Kaiowa

Medieval FPS is a broken genre right now, someone needs to reimagine the gameplay and build something new instead of copying Chivalry. I can appreciate what Mordhau tried to do (despite the lack of content) but it's still far from being something that will draw the attention of a broader audience.

Having a directional blocking system like M&B instead of timed parrying would already fix half our problems, but they still need to figure out how to avoid exploiting animations to deceive your opponents.

9 9
  • 10 Sep
 Fleecer

Op has the point. Devs should’ve made the tutorial more lengthy, and explained a bit how combat tricks like accel or drag work. Getting your ass kicked is not the way u convince new players to get addicted

310 239
  • 10 Sep
 LoPan

@Dutch_van_der_Linde said:
I wish I was lvl 100 so I could get the gold armor =[

Lvl 41 right now and I doubt I have the time to commit to get to lvl 100

Gold armor is 110 if that’s what you mean. Otherwise lighter gold accent is the 100 one but there is a cheaper one that looks more cold and less yellowish

383 577
 smug

“Nothing is unreadable” then in the same post goes on to say that if things were truly readable the game would be boring. The reason 50/50 mixups work in any fighting game is solely because they force the defending player to guess purely on past decisions and the attacker’s behavior, AND that the visual confirmation of these mixups is either IMPOSSIBLE, or reserved for people with super human reflexes.(even then they were most likely prompted by past situations of being put through that mixup in that set of rounds) It isnt a 50/50 mixup by definition if you can read them, and most interactions in Mordhau are indeed 50/50 because of the inherent parry system. In a vacuum test where we controlled for people habituating to player habits, I sincerely doubt that any top player would perform at levels greater than chance at differentiating between certain drag/accel and 1hander morph feint/stab mixups. This wouldnt be a problem if like in other fighting games there was more to get good at then relying on these 50/50 mixups, or you didnt have a community of autistic duelers who demand that the game be balanced around a mode that Mordhau sucks in, and instead we had a game that didnt have broken 1vX and an actual good teambased competitive modes with non ass maps. Furthermore 50/50 setups in fighting games often require execution in order to convert off a landed hit(for example in an airdash game where I setup an empty airdash into a low off an opponents wakeup attempt, in this instance my opponent has to guess whether I go for the IAD high, or go low), whereas in Mordhau an autist is given full damage for simply doing an accel which has no real execution requirements other than watching a youtube video and not being braindead. Just performing the instant airdash BY ITSELF to setup the 50/50 situation is harder than executing most things in Mordhau. Landing the hit is only part of the story in FGs that are oki focused, and the ENTIRE story in Mordhau a game that is also oki focused. What's worse is that while guessing games in fighting games often begin off of knockdown situations(which require you to outplay the opponent in order to get that knockdown to be rewarded with a 50/50 opportunity) Mordhau guessing games begin OFF neutral which has heavy implications. What this means is that in a fighting game I can avoid the oki situations theoretically by outplaying my opponent in the footsies aspect of the match, contrast that to Mordhau where hilariously enough if I WIN neutral and get the first hit my opponent is REWARDED for losing neutral BY gaining riposte state which is where most 50/50 mixups in Mordhau originate. With the exception of stabdrags(locational play in mordhau lul) most manipulated attacks that dont originate from a riposte state are easily parried, and starting your initial offense off with a risky morph feint or singular feint setup is just asking to either get gambled or lose the stamina war in the late stage of the duel.

Knight 933 941
  • 11 Sep
 afiNity

Some of the problems of this game are that the parry boxes are too big and that movement/footwork is underrepresented. Feints, chambers, morphs and regular drags don't do much against very good players. So the only thing you can resort to at high level duels is trying to make your attacks as unreadable as possible.
If the animations were better and easier to read, then duels would probably last for ages.