Mordhau

What is with players constantly looking down in fights?

84 42
  • 4 Sep
 Badass_Ben

It breaks the immersion so completely

And I HATE that it is in ANY way effective because, yet again, it is doing what NO ONE WOULD EVER DO in a fight, look away from your opponent

God I wish this game was 5-15% more realistic, then I wouldn't have such an issue with it, it would be so much better.

13 42

gotta get in those sick over head 1 frame accels w/ battle axes now that shields are cucked

Baron 14 10
 Tyr

Its for cheeky accels and also people do it to kinda fake you out like there not paying attention waiting for an opening

2 2

maybe they're trying to trick u into parrying an overhead early

84 42
  • 4 Sep
 Badass_Ben

I know exactly WHY they do it

That really is the issue
There should NOT be a benefit of catching someone super early in a swing like that either
Weapon has not built momentum, therefore, no damage

113 80
33 34
  • 5 Sep
 Bmufumac

@DodgeThisYouBastarddd said:
muh realism

foot sniffing is very obnoxious, entire floor texture should be goatse to nerf it

84 42
  • 5 Sep
 Badass_Ben

@DodgeThisYouBastarddd said:
muh realism

You mock it, but there is a very real portion of the gamer population that enjoys realistic based things.
Not saying its gotta be ARMA< but having a world grounded in reality makes the overall experience much more fun for me.

Knight 7631 14008

i'm about to start counting the number of awful threads you've made lmao

697 530
  • 5 Sep
 esturias

@Badass_Ben said:
You mock it, but there is a very real portion of the gamer population that enjoys realistic based things.

You should go find another game then.

I also have no idea what "immersion" you guys are constantly talking about...

84 42
  • 5 Sep
 Badass_Ben

@esturias said:

@Badass_Ben said:

You should go find another game then.

I also have no idea what "immersion" you guys are constantly talking about...

1st, when the game was first announced they stated they were making a "realistic sword fighting game"
Hence why they added things like mordhau grip, different damage based on armor/weapon type, etc
I don't expect this to be a simulator, but I expect BASIC swordsmanship to be applicable.

This game is quite immersive when people are NOT doing the crazy broken techniques this game currently rewards.
I wish they CAPITALIZED on that instead of keeping it in the background.

Knight 334 777
  • 5 Sep
 AngelEyes

I would like to say this to you Ben in the most non-dickish most sincere way possible to save a lot of time for you to do other things you enjoy:

I think you should maybe find another game.

84 42
  • 5 Sep
 Badass_Ben

@AngelEyes said:
I would like to say this to you Ben in the most non-dickish most sincere way possible to save a lot of time for you to do other things you enjoy:

I think you should maybe find another game.

Please name another sword fighting game with variety of weapon choice, multiple VALID techniques of defeating ur enemies (not staring at the floor so you catch the hit in the first frame of a swing [WHICH SHOULD DO NO DAMAEGE DUE TO NO MOMENTUM BUILD UP]), character customization, and etc?

Frankly, im quite disappointed in the devs as if this is the INTENDED use of mechanics.... well they lied, frankly. And are a shit company to mislead those who were interested in the ORIGINAL product (see "realistic sword fighting game")

Conscript 671 1491

@Badass_Ben said:
1st, when the game was first announced they stated they were making a "realistic sword fighting game"

But they didn't.

84 42
  • 5 Sep
 Badass_Ben

@ohshitsorry said:

@Badass_Ben said:

But they didn't.

Yes, they did

In the same reveal where they talked about how they wanted to "realistically implement armor" such that blunt weapons did more, slash weapons did significantly less.

How you could alternate weapon modes to match the appropriate target.
They SPECIFICALLY mentioned SPEFICIALLY wanting to avoid fights with unrealistic movement, that's what even made me follow the game in the first place.

Knight 5096 6837

I think you are talking about the "we want fights to look like fights" statement.
Sadly, i think this is just an inherent flaw from the core of the combat mechanics. The entire combat system revolves around timing and for that alone, the most optimal way of playing will always be to make your own attack animations as unnatural and unintuitive as posible, and if you make the the animations too limiting, defense becomes too easy because offense has little dept.
What i'm trying to say is that these issues probably will never be completely gone. Maybe when the mods tool arrive people will be able to fiddle with the combat system and will find happy medium but in the meantime this is all we got and probably all we will ever have for this combat system based on timing.

84 42
  • 5 Sep
 Badass_Ben

@Humble Staff said:
I think you are talking about the "we want fights to look like fights" statement.
Sadly, i think this is just an inherent flaw from the core of the combat mechanics. The entire combat system revolves around timing and for that alone, the most optimal way of playing will always be to make your own attack animations as unnatural and unintuitive as posible, and if you make the the animations too limiting, defense becomes too easy because offense has little dept.
What i'm trying to say is that these issues probably will never be completely gone. Maybe when the mods tool arrive people will be able to fiddle with the combat system and will find happy medium but in the meantime this is all we got and probably all we will ever have for this combat system based on timing.

I agree, BUT, I don't think its that hard to fix
Make damage based on WHERE in the swing the connect happens. Mid swing for max damage, anything early or late does significantly less dmg. Keeps extreme drags available AT LEAST for keeping the rythem of fights dynamic without being absurdly strong as they are now.

In terms of defense being too strong, that results from parries being TOO forigiving.
For example, and I have a post on this, an opponent who completely MISSES their swing, SHOULD be open to an easy attack as their weapon is out of position, they SHOULDNT be able to parry. Yet they can, which makes smart plays less effective, and as you said, attacks more dependant on playing the extremes of the ingame mechanics.

I mean, I've not had issues GETTING hits on targets. The problem is, a lot of players are bad (speaking from a realistic point of view) swordsman who aren't good at actually throwing the timing of their opponent off.
Start a rapid back and forth fight, and then suddenly pause, often baits out a feint.

Throwing an occasional feint AMONG a series of rapid attacks is a good way to bait a feint.

A lot of players let themselves develop a rhythm
Stab--> feint--> attack
Or something similar, and establishing a pattern or rhythm is the fastest way to render your attacks readable and predictable.

I mean I just had a duel against a Plat 5? I think (the one with the epic emblem with the helmet) and he was predictable as shit after 2 rounds. But, as you put it, making extremely contorted animations was his only way of getting a hit on me after that, and im sorry, but that just is NOT skill as far as im concerned.

He was an objectively bad swordsman.

Knight 5096 6837

I also once thought that this game was going to be more realistic than chivalry and that was appealing for me. But then i realised that realism gets in the way of gameplay very easily. I do believe though, that a middle point can be achieved. The more time passes, the more i bring up the mod tools because nowadays i think that vanilla Mordhau is not what i have been waiting for the last 3 years.
Also, in regards to combo feint to parry and being able to punish blatant misses, i do believe it needs tweaking but not that cftp needs to be removed entirely.
There's a entire thread created by a good friend of mine, Frise, discussing this topic. The coment i will be linking next is a suggestion for a tweak that actually was well received and seems like will be (fucking finally) tried out by the devs, specifically Crushed:

https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/13254/i-believe-we-should-remove-combo-feint-to-parry/?page=5#c83