Mordhau

Why am I not allowed to use a rapier?

2 0
  • 4 Sep
 Zany

Ok, so I'm fairly new to Mordhau. I bought the game a bit after it came out on steam and played it for a while with a few friends and just recently picked it up again after hearing that a ranked duels game mode was added. I'm not too good, hovering between G 3 and 4 right now, but I've noticed that despite my best efforts to not fall into the mold of the stab spamming rapier users that hide behind a shield, I get a very large amount of hate for my choice of weapon and perks. Every 3 or so matches, regardless if they win or lose, the other person will ever so witfully hit me with the "rapier fag" before leaving.

Now, I understand why people who use the rapier can tend to get a lot of hate. There's the people that will be in full heavy and use a shield and rapier and all they do is stab spam, obviously it's not good, however, especially considering the elo I'm at, it gets very annoying and hard to deal with and I understand why people could get upset at that even if there is definitive counter play. The only problem is I don't do that. The load out that i play with right now is light chest and leg armor, no helmet, rapier, dagger, dodge, second wind, rat, and acrobat. While I do utilize stabbing, as it's the only way to deal legitimate damage with a rapier, it's far from all I do and I actively try to avoid stab spamming, 1. because it's not good, and 2. because it annoys the hell out of people who don't know how to fight against it, hell it annoys me. This load out puts me in a very precarious situation as almost everyone I fight, despite them constantly saying they're tired of seeing dodge rapier users even though I've only fought maybe 2, is in full heavy with a zweihander, executioners, or greatsword. This means that if make a single mistake I'm dead as most hits will one shot me, whereas I need to hit them maybe four or five times before I can kill them. On top of that, I'm using a one handed sword without also using a shield or using the extra points to take better armor which decreases my ability to stop incoming damage even more. Side Note: I'm not complaining about the amount of damage I take and give and am fully aware that it puts me at a disadvantage and I could just use heavier armor but that's just not the way that I like to play.

I guess the point I'm trying to make with this wall of text is that Mordhau is a game that lets you choose your own play style with different perks and different weapons, all with given advantages and disadvantages. If you're in fully heavy armor using a two handed sword then yes, you will have less mobility and your attacks will be slower, even though this is a game and you can just excel, but that's besides the point. But you take significantly less damage and hit like a god damn truck. On the flip side, if you choose to take two pieces of light armor and a one handed weapon then you and your attacks will be faster, but you die if you get breathed on and your attacks will deal vastly less damage. So given this it seems strange that just because I don't want to play as a walking wall of metal that swings at people with a slightly smaller wall of metal I will be deemed as just not good, or cancerous. Like i said, I only have like 50hrs in the game so if I'm wrong and wearing little to no armor and using only a one handed sword is actually really good and people don't play it out of respect for each other than please let me know. If rapier/dodge is actually busted I do want to know so I can stop, it' s just that days of constant hate for my play style has give me this build up of confusion and anger so I decided to unload all of that here. Thank you for reading this long winded rant.

Yours truly,
rapier fag.

149 74
  • 4 Sep
 NoYou

Me no like rapier. Me no like dodge.

Baron 15 11
  • 4 Sep
 Tyr

TL;DR
Rapier is cheap and gay either embrace the meme or pick another weapon

33 34
  • 5 Sep
 Bmufumac

It just forces people to play differently and they get mad when the tactics they are used to using don't work. Flame them in chat when they talk shit lol.

Knight 7759 14277

why are you making a thread about dipshits saying mean words to you because of your playstyle

3 4
  • 5 Sep
 RedBaron

Okay so here's why rapiers suck in my opinion. (Note: I don't hate on people in chat about using a rapier, and I try to avoid being a toxic fuck) Is that if you look at the stats, the bastard sword is just better in every way, you can slash with it, and it even has 1cm extra of range. Yeah I get the rapier is "cool" but it's not and it kinda sucks. For the most part people hate because you look like a noob who just wants to look cool and doesn't really care about how effective your strategy is. (Note: this is how it looks, it may not be the case) Dodge, is a useless perk and will get you killed more often than not if you rely on it. It would seem you have some contempt for Knights (actual armor and a decent weapon) but if you took the time to practice with a longsword for example then you'll find that it is a very very solid weapon. The longsword doesn't rely on cheese mechanics that'll help you win regardless of your skill level, you need to get good with it. (Note: I know you are also referring to zweis and exec swords, those can be frustrating). All of this being said, if you do want to go down the silly route, the frying pan is a very op weapon and also very silly so I highly recommend it, plus it can be thrown.

32 26
  • 5 Sep
 Borschik

If you listen to everything that people are complaining about there won't be many weapons left. Rapier op, maul op, horses op, battle axe op, war axe op, halberd op, shields op, short spear op, long spear op, brawler fists op, bloodlust op, flesh wound op, javelin op, catapult op, sledghammer op, cleaver op. It's a job of the devs to make weapons balanced, not ours.

35 34
  • 5 Sep
 Fred Dawes

Do you fam. Screenshot the haters and make a compilation meme.

Knight 254 682
  • 5 Sep
 Iodine

Honestly, why listen to them, or anyone?
It's in the game to be used and played with and defended against.
Use it if you want, don't if you don't.

95 95
  • 5 Sep
 The Bird

Keep on using it. However, if you try to use it on me, I'll hack you in half with my greatsword.

Pekt

GetPekt

Bird

2 0
  • 5 Sep
 Zany

@₱ | RedBaron said:
Okay so here's why rapiers suck in my opinion. (Note: I don't hate on people in chat about using a rapier, and I try to avoid being a toxic fuck) Is that if you look at the stats, the bastard sword is just better in every way, you can slash with it, and it even has 1cm extra of range. Yeah I get the rapier is "cool" but it's not and it kinda sucks. For the most part people hate because you look like a noob who just wants to look cool and doesn't really care about how effective your strategy is. (Note: this is how it looks, it may not be the case) Dodge, is a useless perk and will get you killed more often than not if you rely on it. It would seem you have some contempt for Knights (actual armor and a decent weapon) but if you took the time to practice with a longsword for example then you'll find that it is a very very solid weapon. The longsword doesn't rely on cheese mechanics that'll help you win regardless of your skill level, you need to get good with it. (Note: I know you are also referring to zweis and exec swords, those can be frustrating). All of this being said, if you do want to go down the silly route, the frying pan is a very op weapon and also very silly so I highly recommend it, plus it can be thrown.

The choice in class is a mix between the play style i like and aesthetics, I tend to like light armored faster characters even if the negatives outweigh the positives, and I usually don't mind because if it is worse then it just forces me to be better, ie. only getting hit once before the fight is over. It's not that I don't like knights, it's the opposite I think they're pretty damn cool, it's just I don't like playing as them in games most of the time as they tend to be slower, tankier characters. As for the longsword, it's my favorite out of the two hand swords and I made a class that I'll occasionally use on frontline with it. To the extent of my knowledge, it was my understanding that how I was playing the game was making it significantly harder for me to win, which was why I was so confused as to why everyone gets upset, and I only posted here to get the reassurance of better players, thank you btw, that what I was doing wasn't actually busted and impossible to beat. Thank you for the reply and I'll try the bastard sword out to see if I like it.

124 44

Rapier and shield is incredibly annoying to play against and even low-skilled players can get plenty of kills, that's why it gets the hate. Same with short spear/bastard sword/arming sword and shield. People spam quick stabs and the shield lets them block attacks without even trying. I once had a 23-5 match with nothing but an Arming Sword and Heater shield, spamming stabs. And that's just a 2 point weapon.. It's too fast for many players to react properly. You could use a 1-point dagger for this too. Even if you parry the stab, you can't riposte in time because the next stab is already coming.

Not to mention the stupid 10-second long stab-chambering exchanges when two of these builds meet in combat.

Why not ditch the shield and parry instead?

113 80

Dodge is just a straight up waste of stam.
As soon as I see that you are running dodge, I'll try to get initiative, then bait dodges for free disarm lmao

8 12

Rapiers aren't bad. Half of the people here either fake their attacks 24/7 or use some cheese sledgehammer. I use the rapier myself but I don't spam the stab. I don't pay attention to the Mordhau chat unless it's someone that isn't toxic.

Knight 2267 4085
  • 6 Sep
 Runagate

lmao just use the weapon you want to use literally nobody cares if someone said a mean thing to you because of your weapon choice

45 26
  • 6 Sep
 Wilkham

If you're new and still kill people then there are nothing wrong.
I bet you don't know 80% of the mechanic they're behind the game.

If you kill someone and he cry just ignore him.
In Mordhau when someone cry about something it's always his fault.

83 36

i fell your pain i am rapier dodge main

957 306

i used to care about weapon choice but now that i have tried all i accept all fairly each has their skills except for firebomb that ones the only one that really doesn't take skill same with the healing things , but other than those all are good and all are bad