Mordhau

Not ready for competative play

10 2
  • 30 Aug '19
 feelslikemars

This game is incredible. The amount of effort the development team put in is clearly showing, and the game is an obvious result of people who like what they are creating. This being said, the game has far to many issues to introduce any kind of ranked play.
Weapon hurt-boxes are a complete mess for several weapons, prime example being the great-sword. You can visually see multiple weapons miss your own body, and still do the damage.
Ranked play should be introduced to games that have more mechanics than this one currently has as well. There are simply not enough ways to attack or defeat an opponent for a ranked play system. This game has a great foundation to build on, so adding new mechanics would not be difficult. Examples of mechanics could include swords bouncing off armor if the angle is too sharp, punishing players who just spam feints and wild swings. Basing the amount of damage done, or stamina lost, on the angle that the weapon hit the target at would also be a good idea. Arrows should also be able to ricochet off of armor when hitting at sharp angles.
A mechanic that needs to be fixed immediately for all game modes is the parry mechanic for smaller weapons. A dagger could never parry a halberd, let alone block it altogether, unless the person wielding said dagger was a super-human. Perhaps they should still be able to parry for the purpose of the game, however a player should lose just about all of their stamina in this situation, or have a chance to immediately drop their tiny weapon. Looking at you, rapier users...
Another major issue I am noticing is weapon attack times, primarily the feint system. Quite frequently, I will chamber or stab into another players attack if i expect a feint, only to have that player attack, feint, and attack again and hit me first. This is absolutely absurd, and the point that is even funnier is the fact that it usually happens when I fight against slower weapons, spear into maul for example.
There are also, as the community knows well, many players that take advantage of these issues in the game. This does not have a major effect in normal play at all, because the game is so damn fun, and there are so many players fighting. However this is ALREADY a noticeable problem in ranked (I know, first day of ranked being out and already having serious issues? No way! But really, it is THAT bad.)
I do not want to insult any of the fine developers of this game, nor the community. If I am incorrect in any of my statements, please inform me, so that I can verify my facts. I simply want this game to be everything it could/should be. Hope this helps shine some light on problems that need resolutions.
Thanks for being an awesome dev team, and thanks for being a cool community! GL and Fair Fights.

312 245
  • 30 Aug '19
 LoPan

TLDR

84 137
  • 30 Aug '19
 IllOmens

This game doesn't strive to be realistic so introducing a mechanic that considers attack angles is not something that will ever be added to this game, safe to say.

Something that DESPERATELY needs to be fixed is shield users' ability to do riposte feints, which is absolutely broken.

Also disagree on there not being enough mechanics to defeat your opponents. We have accels, drags, jpegs, footdrags, suckerpunches, cough insiders *cough (please fix this), feints and many more. That's plenty and new players already have trouble keeping up as is.

Knight 766 3328
  • 31 Aug '19
 Mittsies

Hello!
I've taken the liberty of rewriting OP's post as a convenient summary:

• I like the game, but it's not perfect.
  • I think the weapon hitboxes are misleading compared to the viewmodel/worldmodel.
  • There are enough gimmicks to entertain me, the combat is too simple.
  • I don't like attack manipulation (i.e. drags).
  • I don't like feints.
  • Fuck rapier.
  • Make arrows deflect off of armor if shot at non-direct angles.
  • Small weapons should not be able to parry large weapons.
  • Seriously, fuck rapier.
  • I get routinely punished for gambling, and that is a major issue with the game.
  • Any mechanic of the game I'm unfamiliar with is an exploit.
  • I think the game is fun despite my complaints
  • If anything I've said here is wrong, point it out, so I can verify my facts.
  • Thanks
86 42
  • 31 Aug '19
 Badass_Ben

I think stamina needs to be a more dynamic part of combat instead of "who runs out first loses"

IMO, once stamina drops below 50%, your attacks and parries get slower and slower, you should FEEL more and more sluggish as you get tired

This makes fights more dynamic as swing and parry times are NOT constant.

2017 2104
  • 31 Aug '19
 SWSeriousMike

I haven't checked if your summary is correct, Mittsies. Because I trust you. You should consider campaigning for the admin post! Can't let bear haters like Lazy win that!

10 2
  • 1 Sep '19
 feelslikemars

Thank you to all whom have responded. I will continue to read newer posts, in order to become more knowledgeable on this specific subject. Stay well, everyone!

10 2
  • 1 Sep '19
 feelslikemars

@Mittsies said:
Hello!
I've taken the liberty of rewriting OP's post as a convenient summary:

• I like the game, but it's not perfect.
  • I think the weapon hitboxes are misleading compared to the viewmodel/worldmodel.
  • There are enough gimmicks to entertain me, the combat is too simple.
  • I don't like attack manipulation (i.e. drags).
  • I don't like feints.
  • Fuck rapier.
  • Make arrows deflect off of armor if shot at non-direct angles.
  • Small weapons should not be able to parry large weapons.
  • Seriously, fuck rapier.
  • I get routinely punished for gambling, and that is a major issue with the game.
  • Any mechanic of the game I'm unfamiliar with is an exploit.
  • I think the game is fun despite my complaints
  • If anything I've said here is wrong, point it out, so I can verify my facts.
  • Thanks

Hello Mittsies, I hope you are doing well! I appreciate the idea of summarizing this article, and I believe I got the message. I will keep my future posts more direct and concise. I can understand that my post may have come across as a typical complaint that is regularly seen online, and it is difficult to obtain the tone of a post or article through just the text. However some of these summations are not entirely accurate, or are completely incorrect. I try to remain respectful and objective when I make posts, and I also want to be a proactive member of the Mordhau community. I request that you re-read my post as a more objective post, in order to factually summarize what I said. Thank you for reading and responding. Stay well.

10 2
  • 1 Sep '19
 feelslikemars

@IllOmens said:
This game doesn't strive to be realistic so introducing a mechanic that considers attack angles is not something that will ever be added to this game, safe to say.

Something that DESPERATELY needs to be fixed is shield users' ability to do riposte feints, which is absolutely broken.

Also disagree on there not being enough mechanics to defeat your opponents. We have accels, drags, jpegs, footdrags, suckerpunches, cough insiders *cough (please fix this), feints and many more. That's plenty and new players already have trouble keeping up as is.

Thanks, Omens. Everything you mentioned makes sense. I have changed my original opinion on the attack deflection idea, I believe what you stated is accurate. The game does not need it, it is fun and complex enough already. I still believe there needs to be a bit more to the mechanics, however I will continue to practice and see if I change my mind as I get better at the game. Thanks again.

Sellsword 792 2351
  • 1 Sep '19
 Goof

Duels by no means is ready for competitive play until several weapons are fixed. This patch is garbage.