Battle Royale was my favorite game mode for a long time. Now, it has been abandoned, at least on the west coast where I played. As a result, I spend my days playing Funland and slowly going insane. Ranked matches, mod support, and custom maps will bring people back to Mordhau, but there are many improvements that can be made directly to the Battle Royale game mode itself. After asking around, I have come up with some ideas that might help get people interested in BR's again. Here they are:
1. Let people use weapons while they wait for enough players to join. Perhaps the playable map could even be reduced in size before the game starts to simulate a duel/FFA map. Many former BR players have migrated to duel servers, so by essentially turning the pre-game lobby into a duel server, you can give players the best of both worlds.
2. I think everyone would appreciate an in-game chat. Global chat isn't necessary - it can be proximity based to keep everything feeling immersive and realistic. I can assume the reason for disabling chat is the apprehension that it will encourage teaming or other behavior that will drive people away, and this is a sensible concern. But those people have all stopped playing. Not to mention, there were teamers in BR, lots of them, and they communicated through Steam chat. People who want to do that sort of thing will do it, and that's okay. That's just part of the experience. Everyone else shouldn't be restricted because of it.
3. Improve the countdown so people don't have to wait as long. Many people have suggested that the number of players required to activate the 60-second countdown should be reduced. Personally, I don't agree with this because it will introduce problems if more people started playing BR again. If it only took 8 players to start the countdown, then it would be much more difficult to get 16 players or more in a lobby. Perhaps as a solution, a 5-minute countdown could be started at the 8 player mark, while the standard 1-minute count would still start at 16 players, if that many joined.
4. Bots. Okay, maybe not. Are bots fun to fight? Not really. But they're still better than nothing, especially if used exclusively as a supplementary measure. What I mean by this is... well, in the previous point I mentioned a 5-minute countdown at 8 players. If that countdown runs down and the lobby still doesn't have 16 players, then maybe some bots could be added at that point. The number of bots added could correlate negatively with the number of players. I'm thinking something like this: 8 players and 16 bots, 9 and 14, 10 and 12, and you get the idea.
5. This one is pretty obvious, but... maps. Get around to adding a new BR map. Camp seems like it has potential. Player-made map submissions shouldn't be ruled out, though. I don't know for certain, but I imagine people are making or will make maps for frontline or even specifically for BR, and I think maps that are new and fresh will be more likely to draw people in to the BR game mode. Other than maps, any new content that could be worked in here and there would definitely be a plus, although I can't think of what that might look like right now.
Well, that's it for now. Most of these points are probably pretty obvious, but it's all I could come up with for now. Do you agree with these ideas? What would you want to change about BR? What should be done to keep the masses invested in and playing BR? Post your thoughts and maybe the Mordhau gods will listen.
What about we let them resurrect the important parts of the game before they turn over to the less important parts they introduced out of boredom, after an evening full of vodka and watching some hyped kiddy games on Youtube?
Sorry buddy, these are all good suggestions but no one really cares about Battle Royale, it was just something the devs added to market the game for a broader audience.
Just let this gamemode die already...
First of all, to people like Riflas and Kaiowa: go away if you don't have anything constructive. These comments are just worthless.
I appreciate the effort but to be honest this is not going to revive the game mode.
Don't agree with this. Fists only in waiting lobby is both fun and useful. As you know you start with nothing in BR and sometimes it comes in handy to have some unarmed skills. The waiting lobby is not the place to practive 1v1 duel skills.
I agree with you here. There should be open (voice) chat within a certain range. This would make the game more realistic and fun. No global chat because of teaming, this is obvious.
Agree with reducing countdown. 30 seconds is good enough. 15 to 20 people in BR game is sufficient. Don't do a 5 minute countdown. Thats just aweful.
No. Just no. Bots will ruin everything. Seeing someone and not knowing it's a bot or a human will ruin the game. If the dev's improve the game mode there is no need for bots.
Partly agree. More maps are always good, but this is probably not the reason that the game mode is a dying. It has to do with other things.
I will think about things that will improve the game mode in my opinion and I will use the the good things as a starting point. I would much rather see a ranking system, higher exp/gold rewards for 'chicken diners' and exclusive cosmetic rewards.
See my post about BR improvements here:
Welcome the newest member of the community: -FCG-
12 users were active in the last 30 minutes:
✵ Legate Lanius ✵