Mordhau

More frequent updates: Mordhau's future depends on it

Knight 762 3301
  • 19 Aug
 Mittsies

The last patchie was June 22nd; 58 days ago.

The longer something in Mordhau stays unchanged, the more the frustration it builds up for players. It would be unrealistic to expect a brand new map or big content patch every week, but it's NOT unreasonable to want a few tweaks every now and then to keep things in line. Everyone knows there's a big patch on the way with new maps, ranking, balance changes, fixes, and all sorts of goodies, but it's easy to lose interest altogether in the meantime. It's very unhealthy for the community to let the game go without a patch for so long, it makes players feel like nobody is listening. The consistent negativity and chanting of "dead game" that follows going without a patch for several months at a time scares off potential new players and makes current players just quit and move on.

I said last year during the alpha:

Is releasing a quick patch important?
The main issue with such long periods between patches is that it temporarily nukes the playerbase, turning the game into a ghost town until the next patch. For the small pool of alpha players, it's not a big deal, but if this continues after the game is released it could be a real problem. It would be disastrous to allow the post-release playerbase sit on a broken patch for several months, things like that could really hurt the game's future. If the patch itself doesn't do it, the negativity from the community will. I've already seen it happen: the veterans whining and complaining in chat about how the current patch is shitty and broken, and it really gives the newer players (beta/earlybird wave) a bad impression of the game. Combine that negativity with a long wait for the next patch, and you've got an uninstall.

(source)

This is an on-going issue with the development of Mordhau. Something needs to change, or the game's concurrent playerbase will be damaged beyond repair, and somewhere down the line even a huge patchie could fail to bring back more than a few thousand players. 4~5 weeks is the absolute maximum we should go without a patchie, even just a handful of quick tweaks and fixes, and 2~3 weeks is the absolute maximum we should go without some kind of development update / communication from the developers.

1757 1412
  • 19 Aug
 Rergato

I'm a big fan of Sierra adventure games

19 12

@Mittsies said:
The last patchie was June 22nd; 58 days ago.

The longer something in Mordhau stays unchanged, the more the frustration it builds up for players. It would be unrealistic to expect a brand new map or big content patch every week, but it's NOT unreasonable to want a few tweaks every now and then to keep things in line. Everyone knows there's a big patch on the way with new maps, ranking, balance changes, fixes, and all sorts of goodies, but it's easy to lose interest altogether in the meantime. It's very unhealthy for the community to let the game go without a patch for so long, it makes players feel like nobody is listening. The consistent negativity and chanting of "dead game" that follows going without a patch for several months at a time scares off potential new players and makes current players just quit and move on.

I said last year during the alpha:

Is releasing a quick patch important?
The main issue with such long periods between patches is that it temporarily nukes the playerbase, turning the game into a ghost town until the next patch. For the small pool of alpha players, it's not a big deal, but if this continues after the game is released it could be a real problem. It would be disastrous to allow the post-release playerbase sit on a broken patch for several months, things like that could really hurt the game's future. If the patch itself doesn't do it, the negativity from the community will. I've already seen it happen: the veterans whining and complaining in chat about how the current patch is shitty and broken, and it really gives the newer players (beta/earlybird wave) a bad impression of the game. Combine that negativity with a long wait for the next patch, and you've got an uninstall.

(source)

This is an on-going issue with the development of Mordhau. Something needs to change, or the game's concurrent playerbase will be damaged beyond repair, and somewhere down the line even a huge patchie could fail to bring back more than a few thousand players. 4~5 weeks is the absolute maximum we should go without a patchie, even just a handful of quick tweaks and fixes, and 2~3 weeks is the absolute maximum we should go without some kind of development update / communication from the developers.

Yeah, they need to rollout smaller fixes in waves and save big content updates for larger updates. For example, they could have fixed (nerfed) horses and firepots along with a few other small numerical balance tweaks to weapons instead of trying to couple it with ranked, invasion and two new maps.

Even if they are only token changes, they would do a lot to make people more understanding in waiting for the larger patches. In general, I feel like people are more understanding in waiting for new content, but less willing to live with obvious bugs and serious balance issues.

Knight 925 2541
  • 19 Aug
 Pred

Yeah, when we were left for I think 7 (?) months with the atrocious kick-hunting patch in alpha I was like "why wouldn't they just reverse kick change so this game is at least half-playable for us?". Then I was like "OK, there's like 100 active players, they already paid for the game, so devs just don't need to give a shit about them and can keep silent for half a year with no repercussions" . I fully expected everyone to be at their best behavior when game releases though.

Well, no, it's the same as it's ever been and population already went down the drain. Give it 2 more weeks and player numbers will be at the levels of Chiv in early 2017.

747 557
  • 19 Aug
 esturias

I can just talk for myself, but my frustration doesn't revolve around the massive lack of patchie and progressie so much, it's more like the complete lack of communication. The developers don't show up in their official forum at all and the Community Commander isn't of much help here.
Major disappointment. I expected a tiny bit more from an "indygame"...

• 20 Aug
 Rergato
This comment was deleted.
84 134
  • 20 Aug
 IllOmens

I bet Mittsies is a cutie IRL

Empress 365 860
  • 20 Aug
 Soulcatcher

would settle for just more communication at this point, can bite my tongue when it comes to updates a bit because the devs obviously all work remotely from the north pole down to the bahamas or whatever, but the communication feels so nonexistent. just jump on these forums to look for a bit of info and it ends with a sigh and clicking the little x on the browser

lastnight was the first time i played mordhau in 10 entire days

in the span of those 10 days i just played fucking

runescape

and had fun

i thought we had a community manager now

where is he

where is anyone

im off to grind 120 slayer have fun guys

1757 1412
  • 20 Aug
 Rergato

"watch out for the poisonnnnnuss ssnake graham" haha