Mordhau

Lets face it, Mordhau is dying and we all know why

Knight 466 909
  • 17 Aug
 wierHL

@wierHL said:
I wonder if just making the parrybox smaller would help make the combat more interesting.

Now that I think of it, I have absolutely no idea how big the parrybox is.
It should probably come in 2 sizes: big for 2h/polearms and small for 1h/sidearms. I mainly mean horizontal size here. Hell, that would probably make Qstaff cooler because now you have a cheap weapon with easier parries than the other sidearms.

Maybe the parrybox can be split in a high and a low parrybox based on how you aim your parry. So you can either protect yourself from heashots or footshots, both boxes overlap a little so both protect you from torso hits.
Exploiting box size for torso shots would rely on exploiting limited horizontal box size, so 1h would have a harder time defending here.

954 302

anyone else think that Mordhau should have just been a Single player game

705 539
  • 17 Aug
 esturias

@Antoniokontos said:

No.
What exactly would that change? And what kind of singleplayergame are you talking about? Same game, just with bots? How would that be fun?
If you want to play a singleplayer game with melee combat, play KC:D. It even has the same kind of buggyness.

58 17
  • 17 Aug
 lordlemon

@Antoniokontos said:

glad to you see you back sir

1757 1412
  • 17 Aug
 Rergato

@afiNity said:

@Rergato said:
What dimension do you live in where timing isn’t everything lol how the fuck do you make a real time combat game that doesn’t put an emphasis on timing

Why does everyone want to play a point and click adventure game? I love Space Quest as much as any other guy but not every game has to be like that

Look at Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. Or even Chivalry. Of course timing is important, in any real time combat game.
But the game doesn't have to play like a reaction test.

Sorry for sounding snappy— I mean I guess I get what you mean, but I don’t really see it enough to call the game a reaction test. In team modes like skirmish, for example, positioning is very important and if you don’t treat it like it is you’re going to get whacked.

83 51
  • 17 Aug
 Budd

@Antoniokontos said:
i took a few days break from the game and in those few days ive realised more and more that this is slowly becoming chivalry 2.0

?

394 589
  • 17 Aug
 smug

Being Chiv 2.0 was the whole point of Mordhau

58 129
  • 17 Aug
 Quadsword

@Jax said:
Mm to clarify, maps may or may not make it with the ranked update, it depends on where the maps are at progress wise and when everything else is ready.

I can see it being 50/50 whether or not it comes in one big update or two smaller ones, but if the latter happens the maps definitely won't have as long of a wait as it's been since the last patch to now.

Essentially, we don't want to hold back an update if it's possible, as there's no real reason to keep ranked from coming if it's ready and the maps aren't, but the maps are very close to being done, so we'll see what happens.

EDIT: Not everything is coming that was in the update, SDK is a long term goal that isn't going to be ready for a while.

Jesus Christ this is embarrassing. Like, wow.

954 302

@esturias said:

@Antoniokontos said:

No.
What exactly would that change? And what kind of singleplayergame are you talking about? Same game, just with bots? How would that be fun?
If you want to play a singleplayer game with melee combat, play KC:D. It even has the same kind of buggyness.

no take the mechanics and stuff and just make a single player story maby a multiplayer element added too but then there wouldent be this whole issue of them taking the money and people complaining about a update to a game that doesent bring anymore money past the first buy

705 539
  • 18 Aug
 esturias

@Antoniokontos said:
no take the mechanics and stuff and just make a single player story maby a multiplayer element added too but then there wouldent be this whole issue of them taking the money and people complaining about a update to a game that doesent bring anymore money past the first buy

Again: How would that change anything? Apart from serverissues and stuff like that, you would have the very same problems. Or do you think that they would suddenly be able to properly balance and implement things only because it's SP now?
Besides that, do you have a single clue what it takes to make a singleplayergame these days? They already struggle with adding any content, now imagine how much content you would need for a SP game...

1 11
  • 18 Aug
 Malfetus

What I find particularly dumb about this whole thing is that it seems like they've dumped the majority of the last 4 months into a ranked mode that they no longer have the playerbase to support.

There's what? 3k average players now? Assume that after the first week hype that 1000 are in Frontline, 500 on duel servers, 200 on Horde, 200 on BR, and another 100 just idling on menu. That leaves maybe 1000 people in the ranked ecosystem. With 30 ranks that's roughly 33 per rank.

Assume that 70% of those people are Diamond+ (since there's no new blood in the game), then that leaves 300 people over the remaining 20 ranks or 15 people per rank below Diamond.

If they do it properly with MMR, each rank will be broken down even further. Hell, in Rocket League which has 60k+ online, I keep playing the same people over and over in ranked a lot of the time.

Even if the update comes out and the population goes up, if the current development cycle continues, we'll just end up where we're at or worse. Basically, it isn't sustainable. I also don't believe that the playerbase will favor ranked duels over the shenanigans, lutebots, and community of duel servers.

TLDR; They just burned 4 months creating a mode that doesn't have the players to support it

120 155

@Malfetus said:
What I find particularly dumb about this whole thing is that it seems like they've dumped the majority of the last 4 months into a ranked mode that they no longer have the playerbase to support.

There's what? 3k average players now? Assume that after the first week hype that 1000 are in Frontline, 500 on duel servers, 200 on Horde, 200 on BR, and another 100 just idling on menu. That leaves maybe 1000 people in the ranked ecosystem. With 30 ranks that's roughly 33 per rank.

Assume that 70% of those people are Diamond+ (since there's no new blood in the game), then that leaves 300 people over the remaining 20 ranks or 15 people per rank below Diamond.

If they do it properly with MMR, each rank will be broken down even further. Hell, in Rocket League which has 60k+ online, I keep playing the same people over and over in ranked a lot of the time.

Even if the update comes out and the population goes up, if the current development cycle continues, we'll just end up where we're at or worse. Basically, it isn't sustainable. I also don't believe that the playerbase will favor ranked duels over the shenanigans, lutebots, and community of duel servers.

TLDR; They just burned 4 months creating a mode that doesn't have the players to support it

Don't forget region which further restricts the pool of potential opponents.

I saw a post once that addressed people's complaints about matchmaking in a somewhat popular game. I think it was Paladins?

Basically it boiled down to the fact that out of the ~20.000 players currently playing the game on Steam, only 30 of them were potential opponents for MM to pair you with once you filter region, rank, gamemode etc.

I'm assuming Mordhau's ranked mode is 1v1 because it absolutely does not have the playerbase for anything larger (anymore). Even then you'll still face ridiculous matchups and the same opponent(s) all the time.

Knight 466 909
  • 18 Aug
 wierHL

I remember trying out Guns of Icarus and taking ages to even find a game. Lack of playerbase was an issue, no idea how it's doing now.

138 218
  • 18 Aug
 DylanS_98

I think the biggest issue is this:

Even if Mordhau lets say gets a really good update this month, or within the next. A majority who -thought- they were going to be playing it for longer more than likely wont return. I personally was playing this game every chance I got in my free time and was super into the combat, dueling. and playing competitively. But then at some point my spark for it just diminished as nothing changed and the community was overall pretty 'bleh'.

I had my fun on this game, and I'm content with that. Will I be coming back anytime soon to play it regularly? Probably not.

Especially with Classic WoW sitting 9 days around the corner (Which sorry if I'm assuming for a lot of you here) I'm betting a lot of people who are currently playing, or played in the past will be at least trying out to some extent to experience it or to begin playing it religiously.

Not to mention Chivalry 2 has reared it's head up and I think it couldn't of been better timed on their part. It's as if this was all planned... tinfoil hat.

But nah, I just genuinely don't have much fun anymore on this game. After repeated attempts at playing with the comp community, trying to enjoy the other game modes, playing to see if I can get re-interested back into it all -- sad truth is I'm just tapped out on Mordhau.

83 51
  • 18 Aug
 Budd

Im personally thinking about quiting for a bit, the game is just really boring and bland now.

I bought this game because I wanted what I wanted from chiv, to be on a medieval battlefield and working together as a team to overthrow the opposing team. The clashing of swords, yelling and the sound of a really really fucking good push.

With mordhau you dont really get that anymore, maybe on launch but now its really bad.
Frontline has basically become a pile of edgelords that cant fight a 1v1 but sure as hell can double team, everyone just uses the same few weapons, like tell me as much as you like there isnt a hard meta but I swear to god the best weapons is literally any polearm (including the zweih, that shits basically a polearm), waraxe and any weapon where you're able to stab spam. not to mention every things on fire, horses just instant kill you and your teammate just catapulted half the fucking team.
OH and also usally teammates now are all really blood thirsty so any duel youre doing a teammate comes in, gets in the way (probably using the war axe or zweih), eats the hell out of your swing, and you instantly die because it was a maul.

Its un-fun for me and cant imagine whats it like for a newer player.

Duels are cool but only fun with friends because you find even more weird edgy roleplayers that fantasize as their OC that just gambles with the messer.

Not really much you can do with the game anymore really.

Knight 254 691

With all the content being produced by the custom content community, I feel it would be in mordhau's best intrest to elevate the sdk on it's priority list. Not only will it benefit mordhau by bringing new life to it, it shall also alleviate problems current modders face that are working on an unofficial sdk to bring content into the game.

Duke 5481 13081
  • 18 Aug
 Jax — Community Manager

The thing is the SDK will take a lot of resources (ie manpower) to get working, it doesn't make sense to do it before having a more acceptable amount of base content - if we dropped everything to work on it now, we wouldn't have the content. Working on it post content-update, we'll have more stuff in game that will make the small official content drought more bearable than now.

45 104

The thing is the SDK will take a lot of resources (ie manpower) to get working

I wonder how are separate people (even less manpower, i suppose) creating mods for game without it and what exactly is SDK at this point.

it doesn't make sense to do it before having a more acceptable amount of base content

This one is exactly opposite because mods can add a lot of stuff that developers don't have time to. A great example is Space Engineers: it was empty and then KSH have added mod support. Guess what? There are tons of mods, some of them even became officially part of the game.

if we dropped everything to work on it now, we wouldn't have the content.

I would've argued that there won't be much content anyway, but new maps are quite good.

Working on it post content-update, we'll have more stuff in game that will make the small official content drought more bearable than now.

So, with SDK there will be more content? Brilliant logic. i must say.
This is some Fatshark level shit.

47 33
  • 19 Aug
 mr_jah

@Jax said:
The thing is the SDK will take a lot of resources (ie manpower) to get working, it doesn't make sense to do it before having a more acceptable amount of base content - if we dropped everything to work on it now, we wouldn't have the content. Working on it post content-update, we'll have more stuff in game that will make the small official content drought more bearable than now.

Stop justifying your fucking moneygrab, grab your balls, stand tall and tell everyone that you have enough money to not to care about the game at all. Can't believe that devs still are like "we are low on resources" after getting that much money.

24 hour peak is 6917 players, average player loss is: -54.55% for June, -45.16% for July, -23.62% for last 30 days. I hardly imagine how bad this should be for any sane dev team to look at.

43 16
  • 19 Aug
 norshin

If they made sdk first people would say they let the community create content for them...