Mordhau

Lets face it, Mordhau is dying and we all know why

1052 1695

Mordhau just isn't fun the way Chivalry was. Holding hopes for invasion but really, TO is what I want. Hopefully Invasion really is just TO but improved.

Aside from the disappointment FL has been there's also massive flaws in the combat itself.

In chivalry I had a whole playstyle revolving around only side hits/waterfalls and I didn't have to feint/delay drag or reverse; felt fun and took pride in not having to rape animations. But in Mordhau there's not really reliable side hits or satisfying waterfalls; only timing deceptions. You get hits either because someone didn't press their parry force field in time or because they pressed it too soon. This is not fun to me. Even shields have an absurdly massive parry size and they're not even fun for the shield users.

EVERYONE has the same playstyle in Mordhau. Better players know more tricks and read better but everyone is using mostly the same tactics... Only differences between players are which weapon's animations you choose to rape/cheese and whether you matrix/dodge alot and, prolly the most definitive difference between melee players of equal skill: whether you face hug or play range.

It's also not like Mordhau really cleaned up the cheese from Chivalry. SoW and Norse sword are still in Mordhau by different names. Messer is pretty obnoxious. Reverses were removed but attacks were sped up and sometimes I physically cannot press the parry or chamber button in time due to reaction and ping. Never had such issues in Chivalry at the same ping.

Don't even get me started on firebombs, rapier/shields in FL or cleaver bloodlust knights.

Also, I never NEVER felt like I was at a disadvantage for using a controller in Chivalry. I point out huge flaws in gamepads in Mordhau on countless threads only get made fun of on the forums for not being a keyboard nerd and to hear only silence from the devs on controller improvement.

It takes three. Whole. Seconds. To turn 360 degrees with max sensitivity on my controller in Mordhau. And I have been asking for AT THE VERY LEAST a sensitivity boost for controllers since 2017. Twenty. Seventeen.

I'm very disappointed in Mordhau and wish I hadn't spent so much money on an alpha key. Or wasting so many hours of my life playing the alpha.

DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON SHIELDS.

83 50
  • 16 Aug
 Budd

@Lionheart Chevalier said:
Mordhau just isn't fun the way Chivalry was. Holding hopes for invasion but really, TO is what I want. Hopefully Invasion really is just TO but improved.

Aside from the disappointment FL has been there's also massive flaws in the combat itself.

In chivalry I had a whole playstyle revolving around only side hits/waterfalls and I didn't have to feint/delay drag or reverse; felt fun and took pride in not having to rape animations. But in Mordhau there's not really reliable side hits or satisfying waterfalls; only timing deceptions. You get hits either because someone didn't press their parry force field in time or because they pressed it too soon. This is not fun to me. Even shields have an absurdly massive parry size and they're not even fun for the shield users.

EVERYONE has the same playstyle in Mordhau. Better players know more tricks and read better but everyone is using mostly the same tactics... Only differences between players are which weapon's animations you choose to rape/cheese and whether you matrix/dodge alot and, prolly the most definitive difference between melee players of equal skill: whether you face hug or play range.

It's also not like Mordhau really cleaned up the cheese from Chivalry. SoW and Norse sword are still in Mordhau by different names. Messer is pretty obnoxious. Reverses were removed but attacks were sped up and sometimes I physically cannot press the parry or chamber button in time due to reaction and ping. Never had such issues in Chivalry at the same ping.

Don't even get me started on firebombs, rapier/shields in FL or cleaver bloodlust knights.

Also, I never NEVER felt like I was at a disadvantage for using a controller in Chivalry. I point out huge flaws in gamepads in Mordhau on countless threads only get made fun of on the forums for not being a keyboard nerd and to hear only silence from the devs on controller improvement.

It takes three. Whole. Seconds. To turn 360 degrees with max sensitivity on my controller in Mordhau. And I have been asking for AT THE VERY LEAST a sensitivity boost for controllers since 2017. Twenty. Seventeen.

I'm very disappointed in Mordhau and wish I hadn't spent so much money on an alpha key. Or wasting so many hours of my life playing the alpha.

DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON SHIELDS.

Yeah honestly in Mordhau players should feel like they died because they messed up, that they can do better next time.

Not have to gamble because of the enemy they're fighting is doing overhead maul accels and dragging every swing into oblivion.

Duke 340 964

@Jax said:
I can see it being 50/50 whether or not it comes in one big update or two smaller ones, but if the latter happens the maps definitely won't have as long of a wait as it's been since the last patch to now.

Small Updates > Big Updates

Triternion is making a huge mistake trying to combine all these changes/features into one update. For one, the majority of gamers are impatient. Waiting months and months for any news/updates results in the player-base becoming bored, and eventually, disinterested enough that they move on to other games. I'd say 90% of the player-base doesn't look at the forums, discord, reddit, or the steam discussions. All they see is a stagnant game that hasn't been updated in months - they have no idea that the devs are working on updates. So, here's all you have to do once every couple weeks: send out a little patch -

'tweaked eveningstar animations, moved spawns on crossroads - also, here's what we're working on ..'

That right there creates excitement. Now your players know the game hasn't been abandoned. They're curious to launch the game, check out the changes to the eveningstar, crossroads, and they're looking forward to whats to come .. and hey, it's only a couple weeks to the next patch! And best of all, I bet that took the devs a day to complete.

Another reason large patches are a terrible idea is that it makes them more prone to bugs and significantly more complicated to correct when these issues inevitably happen. Diagnosing what has gone wrong after a large patch is much more difficult to do. If it had been the hypothetical patch I mentioned above, the devs would know right away the bugs are relevant to one of two small changes they made.

Of course, if we could have large patches frequently, that'd be best, but Triternion is a small team that seems to refuse to put profit back into development. So, I think it'd be best to stick to creating small, quick patches that tells the community that they haven't been abandoned, the game isn't dead - we're still here working on it!

9 7
  • 16 Aug
 jakkre

Chivalry had "low rank servers" (only lv1-lv15 players allowed) and it was probably the worst idea the developers ever implemented, especially because Chivalry's skill curve revolves around mastering controversal spinny boi moves.

Instead of new players complaining immediately they would just be in their own little bubble until after a few hours they couldn't play on their special little servers anymore. Then they'd have to join a real server against good players and they'd just complain as much as before the lowrank servers were added.

The level of a player doesn't reflect his skill so that shouldn't determine who is placed together in a match. If it was done like that in Chivalry then I'm not surprised that it wasn't working out.

What I ment is to implement a hidden matchmaking rating for each player and it should be applied to all kind of game modes. Depending on where the player is on the scoreboard at the end of each battle his MMr drops or increases.
Then players with similar MMr are placed together in matches.

Pretty much every competitive game has a MMr. I don't see why that wouldn't work in Mordhau unless the population is just too small to sort players based on their skill.

Knight 7571 13862
  • 16 Aug
 ToLazy4Name

Level correlated to skill alot moreso in Chiv since level was entirely determined by kills.

10 4
  • 16 Aug
 Turrican

Mordhau Devs just don't want to change things. Since the new votekick system, on every server there's someone just TK'ing, because he won't be kicked or punished and nothing happens. Maps are unbalanced, nothing happens. The stupid chase mechanics is bullshit. And cheats like autoblock are normal in mordhau.

83 50
  • 16 Aug
 Budd

@Turrican said:
Mordhau Devs just don't want to change things. Since the new votekick system, on every server there's someone just TK'ing, because he won't be kicked or punished and nothing happens. Maps are unbalanced, nothing happens. The stupid chase mechanics is bullshit. And cheats like autoblock are normal in mordhau.

I havent seen many "hackers" like what so ever, like I love the game so fucking much but like theres no way im going to white knight the game and delude my self that the games fine but ive not seen a single hacker literally once.

367 340
  • 16 Aug
 Peacerer

@Lionheart Chevalier said:

I bet many alpha players feel similar but lack of courage to admit.

Knight 933 941
  • 16 Aug
 afiNity

Make your attacks look weird so your enemy parries too soon or too late. That's the combat.

84 133
  • 16 Aug
 IllOmens

@afiNity said:
Make your attacks look weird so your enemy parries too soon or too late. That's the combat.

I see your point but I don't see how this genre of game can have meaningfully skillful combat without that aspect.

382 575
  • 16 Aug
 smug

That's why 1v1 shouldn't be the focus of this genre.

147 227
  • 17 Aug
 elToroGuapo

Soon™ guys, Soon™ xxDDDDDDDD1

96 45
  • 17 Aug
 CarnifeX

the news are exactly what i was expecting from the patch - huge disappointment.

i mean they are not only slow or slower as i thought, they are super slow in progress.

omfg... was never such disappointed in a game developement pace over 2 decades of my gaming history

speechless

32 70

The dev's decision to focus on 1v1 and competitive is the worst thing to happen to Mordhau imo. The second worst thing to happen to Mordhau is the combat completely based on timing.

Knight 7571 13862
  • 17 Aug
 ToLazy4Name

@Six_Blasters said:
The second worst thing to happen to Mordhau is the combat completely based on timing.

If you don't like that, why are you playing the game? It's the entire point.

32 70

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Six_Blasters said:
The second worst thing to happen to Mordhau is the combat completely based on timing.

If you don't like that, why are you playing the game? It's the entire point.

Good question. I quite liked the idea of a medieval combat game. The combat seemed fun the first 200 hours. However, after that I realized that once people get gud the only way to win is to manipulate the swing timings and animations which I don't find fun or engaging. And with the lack of good team mode I don't see any reason to play duels only to get better at these mechanics. I haven't played for about 2 weeks now and I'm just checking the forums from time to time to see if a there ever going to be a change.

1757 1412
  • 17 Aug
 Rergato

What dimension do you live in where timing isn’t everything lol how the fuck do you make a real time combat game that doesn’t put an emphasis on timing

Why does everyone want to play a point and click adventure game? I love Space Quest as much as any other guy but not every game has to be like that

Knight 457 880
  • 17 Aug
 wierHL

I wonder if just making the parrybox smaller would help make the combat more interesting.

942 289

i took a few days break from the game and in those few days ive realised more and more that this is slowly becoming chivalry 2.0

Knight 933 941
  • 17 Aug
 afiNity

@Rergato said:
What dimension do you live in where timing isn’t everything lol how the fuck do you make a real time combat game that doesn’t put an emphasis on timing

Why does everyone want to play a point and click adventure game? I love Space Quest as much as any other guy but not every game has to be like that

Look at Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. Or even Chivalry. Of course timing is important, in any real time combat game.
But the game doesn't have to play like a reaction test.